Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very weird tire problem....

Options
  • 27-06-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Had my second blowout in the last month on the way to work this morning. Was driving along and heard this loud screeching sound coming from under the car (speed also started dropping). So I pulled in and got out of the car and there was smoke coming from under the wheel well and the tire was flat. But not just any flat tire, there was smoke coming off this too.

The back of the wheel is burnt and twisted, and a similiar thing happened to the rear left tire about a month back. Any ideas on what could be causing this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Not sure what's causing your blowouts, but the smell/smoke etc is as a result of driving XXX or XX KM/H with it deflated, or deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Might a brake caliper be sticking on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tyre / wheel combination too big for the car ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Nope they are 15 inch tires with plenty of space between them and the wheel well. I was thinking it could be a problem with the tires, but the 4 of them were replaced 6 months ago and are still in very good shape (well except for the bitch that blew out this morning :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

DarkJager wrote:
    Nope they are 15 inch tires with plenty of space between them and the wheel well. I was thinking it could be a problem with the tires, but the 4 of them were replaced 6 months ago and are still in very good shape (well except for the bitch that blew out this morning :) )

Are they the original wheels and tires? do you use the same garage to check pressures and consequently could be the victim of a really dodgy pressure gauge? How old are the tires? (I've heard that + 5 years you should replace irrespective of wear? Are they a Sh1t brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Cheap tyres or remoulds, especially lower profile ones ? Incorrect rating of tyres ? or do them both, cheap/remould, low profile tyres of the incorrect rating. Maybe not, but possible.

What make, rating and size (profile( are the tyres ? And what car are they on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I saw this happen once but it was a person driving with the handbrake on. the heat from the brakes caused the air in the tyre to expand and the alloy wheel become soft result tyre deflated lots of smoke etc. It was a rear tyre so the driver was unaware what was going on.

I'm not suggesting you were driving with the handbrake on but it does sound like a brake binding problem, as someone before mentioned. It might be worth feeling the wheels for heat after driving. its odd though 2 different wheels were affected. its a long shot, but i would say heat is involved somewhere. I had a jeep with a failing wheel bearing it could generate some heat.

odd one though would love to hear the cause if you get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

By any chance are they directional tyres on the wrong direction? Causes the tyre to overheat and give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

mloc123 wrote:
    By any chance are they directional tyres on the wrong direction? Causes the tyre to overheat and give up.

id agree with that!!!;)

Advertisement