Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get new Pc to start

Options
  • 27-06-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I'm in the middle of building my first PC. I have a hard drive, dvd drive, a graphics card and ram only on board at the moment. When I turn on the PC the all fans start running (CPU Fan, Power Supply Fan, and case fan). The hard drive appears to start running as you can hear it. However there is no signal output from the graphics card. Also the dvd drive doesnt light or open when I press the eject button. I've tried to remove the ram, dvd drive and graphics card but nothing changes. I'm not getting any beeps or anything.

Any ideas what to do? I've no spare parts lying around with which to test different hardware. I've really stuck here. I've had the PC build for the last few months but havnt had any luck getting it to work.

Any help here guys greatly appreciated!
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Have you tried using different cables from the DVD/RW and gfx to the PSU?

May be dodgy cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have you plugged it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Have you installed the drivers for the hard drive, dvd drive, and graphics card? The system cant do anything with them until it can recognise what they are!!!! Is your BIOS Loading???

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Have you plugged it in?

The classic IT Support response. Off course the other classic is

"Try rebooting it!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Best thing to do is remove all components bar the bare minimum.

So CPU, one RAM module, graphics card not try powering on the system.

If it fails that then remove the parts from the case and re-seat the graphics card, RAM & CPU & try powering it on with the parts outside the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The classic IT Support response. Off course the other classic is

"Try rebooting it!!"

Tbh, work on a IT helpdesk for a year and tell me that it doesn't solve 50% of problems.

Make sure that graphics card does not need its own power cable inserted(molex or pci-ex 6pin)

krazy_8s wrote:
    Tbh, work on a IT helpdesk for a year and tell me that it doesn't solve 50% of problems.

I agree I'm just amazed at why people dont try it first before actually calling IT support. Probably needs a whole other thread though for stupid IT complaints/stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

How can I use different cables to the graphics card etc when the cables go into the psu if you know what I mean? They're not interchangable.

And how can I install drivers when I cant see anything on screen!!!

And Yes its plugged in!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

did you check that your cmos is jumpered correctly? and make sure your HSF is seated right

peustace wrote:
    And how can I install drivers when I cant see anything on screen!!!
    peustace wrote:
    And Yes its plugged in!!!!

OK, firstly dont get angry as most of us are trying to help. Do you have any status LEDson your motherboard, or around the PC Casing. Look at your motherboard manual and do a motherboard reset. After the reset keep an ear out for any beeps, and an eye on any status LEDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

As suggested, you should put all these bits together & try these steps.

Motherboard out of case (in case it is shorting)

Install one stick of RAM
    Install Processor & heat sink (Re-seat if necessary)
    Install Graphics card (make sure it's powered independently if required)
    Reset the BIOS (Some boards have a reset switch, some have a jumper setting, or you can remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes then replace)
    Connect your power supply & start system, see if it boots to the BIOS screen.

The fact that you said that everything seem to spin & there are no beeps would suggest that your graphics card has no signal, some are powered from the on-board slot but most need external power these days. Maybe you should identify the individual parts on your system for us?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

I wasnt trying to sound mad. Really appreciated the help. The graphics card is powered independently from the psu alright and thats wired correctly.

I'll try that the cmos is jumped correctly and then try everything outta the case. I have an LED on the case to indicate the PC is powered. Havent seen any LEDS on the motherboard but then again I wasnt necessarily looking for them.

I'll get back later when I get a chance to look at it

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

List your board, CPU, RAM, PSU gfx card.
    Have you installed the drivers for the hard drive, dvd drive, and graphics card? The system cant do anything with them until it can recognise what they are!!!! Is your BIOS Loading???

You don't need any drives to post.

To add to gadgetman496, check your motherboard manual and make sure you've made all necessary power connections for the board.

Advertisement