Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper-Flynn: Been listining to News on Radio1 with Cathal Goan (RTE)

Options
  • 27-06-2007 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

My blood is boiling having listened to Cathal Goan on the radio with Sean O'Rourke. In fairness to Sean he asked all of the tough questions, but Cathal Goan really didnt have a comprehensive answer to explain how the tax payer / license payer was not going to have to pay Beverly's bills.

He claimed that the money will be made up from advertising, but this is really just taking a spoonful of soup from the opposite side of the same bowl.

How can she get away with this. This is such an injustice to the the reporters who investigated her, and an insult to the people of Ireland. And to top it off Bertie wants to offer her a cabinet position. Maybe Bertie and Bev and kindred spirits - "most devious, most cunning" etc etc.

The right course of action was to bankrupt her and shame her. She then would not have been able to join the Dail (well, hopefully that her attempt to change this rule would have been thrown out of court... again blood boiling about the arrogance of this). The people of Mayo REALLY should be ashamed of themselves - the money to pay for her so called "flight of fancy" should be taken from the local coffers, if they are so happy to see her elected to the Dail. She has her father's arrogance and hopefully it will be her downfall just as it was his.

F**K all chance of me paying the TV license this year. They can go jump for that one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

It is a crazy situation.
    Who the hell voted for her anyway can't believe she got back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well mcquirk gave the DG-RTE are hard time but we'll just have to wait till the court hearing and then wwe can boil him till he talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

He claimed that the money will be made up from advertising, but this is really just taking a spoonful of soup from the opposite side of the same bowl.

I thought that the amount of adverts RTE can show per hour was regulated, so if some of the advertising money is used to pay for this, then it can't be used elsewhere, so there will be a shortfall.

And the alternative of trying to increase advertising rates to compensate is sure to be resisted by advertising agencies, unless viewing audiences are increasing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Also here

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

BCF shouldn't be allowed into government. The people of Mayo that voted for her should hang their heads in shame. The sight of her supporters on the news, cheering and clapping her made me sick. That we're going to be paying for her court costs, via license fee also makes me sick. She was thrown out of FF twice, and now theres talk about her being brought back into FF, and a possible junior ministry in the future.

FF are taking us for mugs again it would appear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

My blood is boiling having listened to Cathal Goan on the radio with Sean O'Rourke. In fairness to Sean he asked all of the tough questions, but Cathal Goan really didnt have a comprehensive answer to explain how the tax payer / license payer was not going to have to pay Beverly's bills.

This is an odd argument alright - basically €1.75m of the €3m owed will have to come out of money that would have gone into PSB. Sure, it's not directly from the tax-payer's pocket but it does mean that funding for programming will be impacted upon.
    How can she get away with this. This is such an injustice to the the reporters who investigated her, and an insult to the people of Ireland. And to top it off Bertie wants to offer her a cabinet position. Maybe Bertie and Bev and kindred spirits - "most devious, most cunning" etc etc.

A Minister of State position isn't a cabinet position (though it does involve a healthy pay rise).
    The right course of action was to bankrupt her and shame her. She then would not have been able to join the Dail (well, hopefully that her attempt to change this rule would have been thrown out of court... again blood boiling about the arrogance of this).

But the reality is that RTÉ would then be paying the vast majority of (if not all of) the legal bill. Whatever you may feel about the need for Flynn to be thought a lesson, the bankruptcy route wouldn't have been a financially sound one for RTÉ either (and it's not RTÉ's job to shame and punish politicians, it's just part of their job to highlight aspects that the politicians might be ashamed of).
    The people of Mayo REALLY should be ashamed of themselves - the money to pay for her so called "flight of fancy" should be taken from the local coffers, if they are so happy to see her elected to the Dail.

What local coffers? She's (presently) an Independent so there are no local party coffers to take the money out of. If you mean the amount of funding that might otherwise have gone into the county of Mayo, isn't that just public money being spent on Flynn's "flight of fancy", but in another way?
    Anyway, why should the 90%+ of Mayo voters who didn't give her a first preference (or, looking at it another way, the 85% who didn't have a hand in getting her re-elected at all) suffer for the court action she decided to take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Anyone who voted for FF should hang there heads here. The gov was accused of arrogance and ye were told FF need to be kicked out going into the election so I am blue in the face arguing this when the time was right before hitting the ballot boxes. Bev barely got in, and you are always going to have a hardcore that will back her, enough to scrap it. RTE are a disgrace, they avoided putting anything on the website when the story broke and did so later in the day. TV licence no way, FF no way, people complaining now -go away - Told you so. (even though I am complaining now but I didnt vote for FF or Bev). The voters have given the mandate to FF to do what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StallTheDigger

I'm from mayo.Whatever you say about her personal life and her dealings 10-15 years ago as a bank official her popularity in mayo is stemmed purely from the fact that she has delivered more than any other politician in her time, knows the relevant channels in leinster house and the fact that the other FF candidates from mayo r a complete joke...Berties gettin her back in coz as long as she's not there FF will only ever get 1 seat as where FG were close enough to getting a fourth in a five seater with michelle mulherin...Bertie needs her.Simple as that!!!...As for the suggestion that mayo should suffer because of it and that we should be ashamed for voting her in...the fact is we have suffered with not having a minister(i.e. a person at the cabinet table) in mayo in the most prosperous spell in irish economic history,hence the Fianna fail vote has gone down here and hence he is giving bev a junior ministry(ahead of dara calleary who is young and inexperienced).
    Before the election any person in mayo(As optomistic as i was for enda and all) would have put smart money on bev at the end of it being the most likely 2 deliver for mayo with FF back in power. Nothing to be ashamed about voting our hardest workin and most influential politican back in....She wouldn't have got back in if she didn't deliver(Take note John carty(FF) and Dr jerry Cowley(Ind))

So in summary
    Bertie needs her to stabalise the mayo FF vote and in doing so needs to show the people of mayo that he hasn't forgot bout them by giving her a junior ministry before the end of this dail

her popularity in mayo is stemmed purely from the fact that she has delivered more than any other politician in her time
    What has she delivered? I cant see. - Her father delivered - cant see what she has delivered????

Also look at her sense of judgement - sue rte to prove herself right, loose, then to prove herself right take a challenge, loose, then go on air and keep saying she was right is pure stupidity and arrogance. She took the cases to prove she was right - they proved she was wrong!!! wrong Beverly wrong!!!Well she can afford to be when the taxpayer is footing the bill via rte and the generous crowd they are.
    FF will only ever get 1 seat as where FG were close enough to getting a fourth in a five seater with michelle mulherin..,hence the Fianna fail vote has gone down here

Bev and the Flynn saga completely divided the FF party in Mayo and these divisions meant that when the county became one with 5 instead of 6 seats, that division was increase and FG stepped into the void. FF would be strong in Mayo otherwise as it was before FF & Flynnites together in Mayo FF into the joke it is
    Bertie needs her
    The country doesnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

This is an interesting allegation. What did she "deliver for Mayo" and at whose expense?

I'm flabbergasted that anyone should blame RTE on this one. RTE took a commercial decision to get some money rather than bankrupt the woman and get none. If they had done otherwise, I would feel like witholding my licence fee.

RTE is a public service broadcaster not an avenging angel sent to undo the damage done by the voters of Mayo. RTE's job is to expose Bev and her ilk, defend themselves in court when Bev and her ilk take them on, and then get back as much as they can of the legal fees expended in defending freedom of speech.

• Advertisement

anyone should blame RTE on this one. RTE took a commercial decision to get some money rather than bankrupt the woman .
    LOL, you dont know she is the partner of someone whose pocket money could fix this. I think she used to have a house in rathgar also.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

..... The people of Mayo REALLY should be ashamed of themselves - the money to pay for her so called "flight of fancy" should be taken from the local coffers, if they are so happy to see her elected to the Dail. She has her father's arrogance and hopefully it will be her downfall just as it was his.

F**K all chance of me paying the TV license this year. They can go jump for that one.

Hang on a minute there boyo and stop tarring us all with the same effing brush.
    Mayo returned 3 FG and one real FF, plus beaker no 2 - aka bcf.
    I know a lot of people in Mayo that cannot stand her guts because just like her Daddy she is an arrogant twat and probably up to the same tricks.
    Yes, the people around Castlebar did well because of pflynn and thus have this bloody loyalty to beaker no. 2.
    Castlebar and what was Mayo West constituency did well from pflynn's time, but the other half of the county got sweet FA.
    I'm from mayo.Whatever you say about her personal life and her dealings 10-15 years ago as a bank official her popularity in mayo is stemmed purely from the fact that she has delivered more than any other politician in her time, knows the relevant channels in leinster house and the fact that the other FF candidates from mayo r a complete joke...Berties gettin her back in coz as long as she's not there FF will only ever get 1 seat as where FG were close enough to getting a fourth in a five seater with michelle mulherin...Bertie needs her.Simple as that!!!...As for the suggestion that mayo should suffer because of it and that we should be ashamed for voting her in...the fact is we have suffered with not having a minister(i.e. a person at the cabinet table) in mayo in the most prosperous spell in irish economic history,hence the Fianna fail vote has gone down here and hence he is giving bev a junior ministry(ahead of dara calleary who is young and inexperienced).
    Before the election any person in mayo(As optomistic as i was for enda and all) would have put smart money on bev at the end of it being the most likely 2 deliver for mayo with FF back in power. Nothing to be ashamed about voting our hardest workin and most influential politican back in....She wouldn't have got back in if she didn't deliver(Take note John carty(FF) and Dr jerry Cowley(Ind))

So in summary
    Bertie needs her to stabalise the mayo FF vote and in doing so needs to show the people of mayo that he hasn't forgot bout them by giving her a junior ministry before the end of this dail

What the f**k has she delivered?
    Put money on her delivering, you wouldn't happen to be amongst beakers supporters now would ya and hail from Castlebar ?
    Just like all the flynns she is in it for what she can get, not what she can get for Mayo.
    After all she has already gotten away with not paying half her debt to the Irish taxpayer, Mayo people included.

Don't know about our hardest workin and most influential politican?
    She definetly is our most infamous :mad:

It is not just her personal life here, it is her ethics and her gross arrogance, her judgement and the fact she is effectively giving two fingers to the taxpayers of this country.

So by giving a bcf a junior cabinet post he is telling the people of Mayo and the FF local party he hasn't forgotten about them.
    Dara Calleary may be young and inexperienced but at least it has not been found that he cost the taxpayer of this country millions in tax evasion and unpaid bills.
    He is also telling the local party that you are better off screwing anyone and everyone, leaving the party, doing what you want and you will be rewarded.

I bet her daddy told her where some of the skeletons are hidden.

If she goes back into Mayo FF than there will be problems and people griping.
    What candidate(s) gets shafted and who loses out in the local hierarchy will be the question, but I guest the grassroots will just bend over and take the cr** from HQ.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Berties gettin her back in coz as long as she's not there FF will only ever get 1 seat as where FG were close enough to getting a fourth in a five seater with michelle mulherin...Bertie needs her.Simple as that!!!...

So in summary you are saying Bertie would do a deal with the devil to get into power?

Her father delivered for a few hangers on alright and the same hangers on are now hoping for the same from the daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

bobbyjoe wrote:
    It is a crazy situation.
    Who the hell voted for her anyway can't believe she got back in.

6, 779 Mayo people disagree with you.

Incidentally she is divorced from Mr Cooper and no longer uses the name Cooper-Flynn.
    dodgyme wrote:
    LOL, you dont know she is the partner of someone whose pocket money could fix this. I think she used to have a house in rathgar also.:confused:

But does he love her enough to give her 3 million quid.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Firstly I do understand that the Minister Of State position is a junior ministry, but I'm sure that this is only a stepping stone and Bertie being the "cute whore" that he is will use this to test public opinion.

And you all make vaild points, including the guy from Mayo who did not vote for her.

I think that something like this could only happen in this country. Elective representatives don't stand aside in this country when they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

What do we expect - she's Pee Flynn's daughter.

How did anybody vote for a known crook - sorry Bertie did get in as well !!!

The people of Mayo should be ashamed of themselves. We need to get away from the system of voting for politicians because they can get backhanders for their constituents. What we need is to elect the best people to represent the constituency and the country !!!

opa01_2000 wrote:
    What do we expect - she's Pee Flynn's daughter.

How did anybody vote for a known crook - sorry Bertie did get in as well !!!

The people of Mayo should be ashamed of themselves. We need to get away from the system of voting for politicians because they can get backhanders for their constituents. What we need is to elect the best people to represent the constituency and the country !!!
    I think you need to read the other posts. Firstly in my opinion anyone who voted for FF should be ashaned of themselves. Secondly the people of Mayo voted against FF and Bev in droves but it aint Zimbabwe and she scraped in. So less of the people of mayo rubbish. Only the diehards around castlebar ensured she got in. And no one has answered the question of what she exactly has done down there. I asked it as have other, so the posters who claim she has done some good for her constituents please provide the proof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dodgyme wrote:
    Unless she decided to marry this guy, then they'd pay big money in gift tax, and there would be all sorts of other problems with her accepting such money from someone, given that she's a politician. With allegations of crookedness abound, that would be disastrous for her.

RTE made the right choice in the end. However much people dislike this woman, it's not RTE's place to exact revenge or to act on a political agenda. Like any other business, they made the commercially viable choice.

seamus wrote:
    it's not RTE's place to exact revenge .
    It is there place to get what they are owed. I am sure if Bev won the case she would have been so worried about the taxpayer and would have only accepted half the amount ..........doh ....NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

It is of course their place to get what WE the owners of RTE are owed, if they can and as much as possible if they can't.

My partner cannot be stung for my debts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

dodgyme wrote:
    Secondly the people of Mayo voted against FF and Bev in droves but it aint Zimbabwe and she scraped in. So less of the people of mayo rubbish.

Sorry will rephrase - the people of Mayo who voted for Flynn should be ashamed of themselves.

dodgyme wrote:
    It is there place to get what they are owed. I am sure if Bev won the case she would have been so worried about the taxpayer and would have only accepted half the amount ..........doh ....NOT.
    If RTE couldn't afford to give her what she was owed, then she probably would have gone for half of it.

RTE's decision made economic sense. If Bev was declared bankrupt, then RTE would have had to cover most of their own costs, and would probably have gotten little, if any of the money they were owed.
    A company can't act like an individual and decide "I'm gonna teach that bastard a lesson". Every decision made must take into account, "What's best for this company?". What BCF would have done is irrelevant.

seamus wrote:
    If RTE couldn't afford to give her what she was owed, then she probably would have gone for half of it. .
    But she knew they could afford it!??????????????they are a state body. You have no point here
    seamus wrote:
    RTE's decision made economic sense.
    ah now come on for god sake "economic sense". :confused: :eek: :D

opa01_2000 wrote:
    Sorry will rephrase - the people of Mayo who voted for Flynn should be ashamed of themselves.
    That can still be misinterpreted to stain the characters of everyone from mayo. Some people in mayo did vote for Bev but the 'the people of Mayo' didnt.

dodgyme wrote:
    But she knew they could afford it!??????????????they are a state body. You have no point here
    Erk...eh...theoretically? I thought it was clear that's what I meant.
    ah now come on for god sake "economic sense". :confused: :eek: :D
    What? Make some sense will you? Or perhaps economics works differently in Mayo?

seamus wrote:
    I thought it was clear that's what I meant.?
    good man whatever. I am sticking to the facts and not making up theory which would not happen so I dont know how that is theory. It is hardly even theoretical that RTE wouldnt have the cash to pay???:rolleyes:
    seamus wrote:
    What? Make some sense will you? Or perhaps economics works differently in Mayo?
    Seriously know one knows what you are on about here????:eek:
    Maybe another one of your special theory arguments that you are not letting us into, but oh sorry you thought was totally clear to everybody.:rolleyes:

Listen, aside from your gibberish, RTE had two options;

1. Continue to attempt to get money out of Bev or have her declared bankrupt
    2. Take the settlement offered.

Taking option 1 would mean that RTE would probably not get any money at all, and may even lose money.

Therefore option 2 made economic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Why couldn't RTE have been given the option to take the offered settlement PLUS a percentage of further earnings (particularly pertinent if she ends up with a ministerial position)?

seamus wrote:
    Listen, aside from your gibberish, RTE had two options;

1. Continue to attempt to get money out of Bev or have her declared bankrupt
    2. Take the settlement offered.

Taking option 1 would mean that RTE would probably not get any money at all, and may even lose money.

Therefore option 2 made economic sense.

option 3 - get what they are owed - she can afford it.

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote:
    option 3 - get what they are owed - she can afford it.
    And what is your basis for this claim?

Advertisement