Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper-Flynn: Been listining to News on Radio1 with Cathal Goan (RTE)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

These types of settlements are commonplace. Why chase someone for 3.5 million when you know they can't pay. If they offer you 1.5 you take it and run.

On the other side of the coin she is a harridan and should be hounded out of office. Shame on the Mayo people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Maybe Bertie was being cute here. He promises her a Junior Ministry in the next reshuffle in return for her support but leaves before then. Brian Cowen comes in says the deal is with bertie not him and Bev ends up with nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

seamus wrote:
    And what is your basis for this claim?
    Discussed a small bit here and in other topics on this forum. If you think that the payment to RTE is going to have a major impact on Bev and her lifestyle you are very innocent indeed, which means they bottled it and didnt get enough from her. She should be made pay the lot.

Roanmore wrote:
    Maybe Bertie was being cute here. He promises her a Junior Ministry in the next reshuffle in return for her support but leaves before then. Brian Cowen comes in says the deal is with bertie not him and Bev ends up with nothing.
    but a coupla million not needed to pay rte then. If she settled after the election why didnt she settle before the election at any stage and also why start a high court action on the bankrupcy law. She was chancing her arm and rte bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Apparently she is claiming "Ill settle this bill myself" and has turned down financial support from her family. Her Political salary is somewhere in the region €100,000 so it will be interesting to see where 1.2 million is going to appear from. She owns a house worth 300,000 somewhere but that still leaves the guts of a million.

Either way i think it speaks volumes of irish society that she was elected again while all this was going on. Someone could spend a lifetime trying to understand the mindset of an irish voter and never scratch the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dodgyme wrote:
    Discussed a small bit here and in other topics on this forum. If you think that the payment to RTE is going to have a major impact on Bev and her lifestyle you are very innocent indeed, which means they bottled it and didnt get enough from her. She should be made pay the lot.
    I asked for evidence not vague references.

I'm not for one second of the opinion that a €1.2 million bill will humble her, but donates from family and partners don't count as "the ability to pay". If you have this magic evidence of her fabulous wealth, why didn't you tell RTE's solicitors?

I'm sure there are all sorts of creative accounting tricks in place which mean that she has the assets, but they're not hers on paper. But if it's all above board, then there's no way of forcibly extracting that money from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

1. Who, what, when and where is/was the Cooper part of Cooper-Flynn ?

The Cooper prefix appeared and disappeared as this saga unfolded.

2. Can the details of this settlement of the costs issue be investigated by the Auditor and Comptroller General ?

It seems to me that if the C & AG "audited" this transaction we could be happy with any report he makes.

3. Can the same issue be dealt with by any Dail
    sub-committee ?

seamus wrote:
    you have this magic evidence of her fabulous wealth, why didn't you tell RTE's solicitors?.
    Very good. Great reply! well done! why didnt I tell rte. ? ..mmm.. I wonder...mm yes its my fault ..mmm.. yes right Gotcha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

dodgyme, grow up. With the sarcastic remarks. If you don't accept Seamus' analogy or comparisons thats fine, say so. They were put in, presumably to make things easier to understand for the less cerebrally fortunate as yourself... But you could spare us the sarcastic smiley faces, it makes you seem about 14 years old.

Regardless of talk around LEinster House that she has proof of BertieSkeletons[tm],
    Its very obvious that:

A) RTE made the right decision, from the POV of running a successful company. If you disagree with this, that is a fairly good sign you will never make it anywhere beyond McDonalds in the business world.

B) (I know, she divorced and lost "Cooper" but I can't help it :)) B"C"F has loads of assets, very easy to hide them up and move them around. How will she get from Mayo up to Dublin three times a week for the Dail without a car, how could she function as a deputy without a constituency office, a home etc. Her partner is extremely wealthy, but nowhere near as independent or bullheaded as her.

C) If RTE had attempted to bankrupt her, it would have probably cost another third of the costs so far on top of what was owed. This would only mean they lose more money. They are a business, not a renegade force charging down people who they believe to have wronged the nation.

E) BCF and daddy *have* actually done lots for the local community, and all of Mayo. She is a very active politician, as are her PAs and secretarial assistants at grassroots level. Thousands of Mayonians(coined) have phoned up her office looking for advice, gone to her "advice clinics" etc. If you get 1000 small things done for 1000 locals, and each of them tells a few people about BCF sorted their Septic tank pp, their hard tapwater, etc etc: You will very quickly amass a large number of followers who will always vote for you, because you have delivered for them. Hard work for the locals will always triumph over percieved wrongdoings on a national scale.
    That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
    Was most important ? I inclined
    To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
    Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
    He said : I made the Iliad from such
    A local row. Gods make their own importance.

Z wrote:
    dodgyme, grow up. With the sarcastic remarks
    So saying that I shoulda told rte's solicitors my opinion is not childish which is the point I was replying to, perhaps read the posts more carefully before wading in. What you get from a stupid remark is a sarcastic remark and even a 14 year old know that. Here is a smily face for you :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dodgyme, my point is that you claim that she is well able to pay. Now, nobody is contradicting that, the problem is that you're saying that RTE should have *forced* her to pay. By started bankruptcy proceedings, RTE knew that she was unable to pay (at least on paper). Legally, she was unable to pay the full amount. That's all that matters.

Whether you think she could afford the full bill or not isn't all that relevant - RTE were never going to get it because on paper she didn't have it. You propose that we somehow take money from her that she doesn't legally have, yet you don't offer any explanation about how this would be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I think the whole point about the "they were right to accept what she offered" point of view is that she could have paid more. The final settlement was a quick fix solution to get Bertie another prop to lean on. The timing of it seemed odd apart from if you take into consideration the political context.

If I was RTE, I would seek a determination of what she is worth and what she can actually lay her hands on. Does she own a house, what is it worth, what are her total assets, and future earnings. But it seemed RTE threw in the towel early. In an ideal world I would say there was no political interference but in the real world I would say there was.

Z wrote:

A) RTE made the right decision, from the POV of running a successful company. If you disagree with this, that is a fairly good sign you will never make it anywhere beyond McDonalds in the business world.

[/SIZE][/I]

To be honest I would have more respect for RTE if they did bankrupt her and it cost them twice the money. They fell between two stools here because they got a fraction of the money back and therefore the whole episode was not economically justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

gbh wrote:
    To be honest I would have more respect for RTE if they did bankrupt her and it cost them twice the money. They fell between two stools here because they got a fraction of the money back and therefore the whole episode was not economically justified.
    Luckily your respect doesnt have any bearing on the extra tax we will have to pay / deterioration in quality of RTE's programming to make up the money they lost to BCF.

seamus wrote:
    Legally, she was unable to pay the full amount. That's all that matters..
    and
    seamus wrote:
    yet you don't offer any explanation about how this would be done.
    This is a letter from the Indo today. I agree she should have been jailed if she couldnt pay. This letter sums it up I think

I WRITE as a former Bank Manager. One of my responsibilities was to ensure loans were paid.

Many genuine people had difficulty in paying loans. Contrary to public opinion, the banks did show some sympathy and wrote off many debts - usually large ones. For the ordinary people judgments, instalment orders and committal orders (jail) were obtained.

I know of a number of suicides as a result of pressure being in debt. I am sure there were many more of which I am not aware.

In view of these facts, the Beverley Flynn affair makes sick reading. Why was no judgment obtained against her assets? Why is she not threatened with jail for failure to pay her debts? No - Bev is to get a Junior Ministry. The Fianna Fail of CJH lives on. Was it not CJH who said that Bertie was the most cunning and devious of them all? The people have the power. Pay no TV licence fees to RTE until Bev pays in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Below is an actual photo of Beverley Flynn after she found out how much she owes!

http://jerhad.typepad.com/jerhad/images/beaker.jpg

Below is an actual photo of Beverley Flynn after she found out how much she owes!

http://jerhad.typepad.com/jerhad/images/beaker.jpg
    Excellent

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

gbh wrote:

If I was RTE, I would seek a determination of what she is worth and what she can actually lay her hands on. Does she own a house, what is it worth, what are her total assets, and future earnings. But it seemed RTE threw in the towel early. In an ideal world I would say there was no political interference but in the real world I would say there was.

are you kidding? They've been chasing the money for years and have had her assets verified a number of times.

I would be willing to pay 2-3 euro extra on my licence fee just to get this particular politician and similar politicians out of Leinster House in the national interest. It really would be worth it.

Cathal Goan's point about the NIB investigation bringing in hundreds of millions for the government works both ways in that we can now afford to forego a couple of million to get rid of the people who caused it in the first place.

gbh wrote:
    I would be willing to pay 2-3 euro extra on my licence fee just to get this particular politician and similar politicians out of Leinster House in the national interest. It really would be worth it.

Cathal Goan's point about the NIB investigation bringing in hundreds of millions for the government works both ways in that we can now afford to forego a couple of million to get rid of the people who caused it in the first place.
    Agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

RTE is the national BROADCASTER and has no other function. It cannot and should not be expected to undo the damage done by Bev's voters in Mayo.

Advertisement