Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox on Linux CSS Issues

Options
  • 27-06-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Aggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh

Ok Lads and lasses help me here.... I need to put it into very simple english for my colleagues. When working with divs and the like i usually test in IE6 IE7 and firefox on mac and pc....all is well

It all seems to fall apart on firefox for linux...is it just not compatible/buggy etc....Massive rows going on in here between designers and developers...developers wantt o go back to tables...

My arguement to ignore FF on linux and focus on these (IE6 IE7 and firefox on mac and pc) gets me more abuse...

HELP! Me win this arguement! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Well my first question is how buggy is buggy?

Then I would then ask who the target audience is going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Ideally it should work well in all browsers ... or fall down gracefully ...

Some stats from one of my more popular sites:
    1. Internet Explorer / Windows 2,593 78.58%
    2. Firefox / Windows 426 12.91%
    3. Safari / Macintosh 166 5.03%
    4. Firefox / Macintosh 59 1.79%
    5. Firefox / Linux 17 0.52%
    6. Mozilla / Linux 11 0.33%
    7. Internet Explorer / Macintosh 10 0.30%
    8. Opera / Windows 9 0.27%
    9. Netscape / Windows 4 0.12%
    10. Mozilla / Windows 3 0.09%

So you'd be looking at alienating 1% ... these would mostly be non tech savy people though ...

If its a tech site ... your number of users with linux is going to be a lot larger ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Well my first question is how buggy is buggy?

Knew I should have asked another question ... :D ... I do find it hard to believe that firefox linux breaks it that much though ... how good are ye with CSS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

forbairt wrote:
    Knew I should have asked another question ... :D ... I do find it hard to believe that firefox linux breaks it that much though ... how good are ye with CSS ?
    Seeing as though Firefox runs on the same Gecko engine reguardless of OS I find it hard to see how something could break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Winters wrote:
    Seeing as though Firefox runs on the same Gecko engine reguardless of OS I find it hard to see how something could break.

I was going to say the same thing .....

Half our staff use FF on Ubuntu in the office and never have any issues with sites .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Maybe it's just the version of FF.

Some of the early releases were quite rubbish.

Advertisement