Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Palm Trees

Options
  • 27-06-2007 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know if these trees (phoenix canarienis phoenix robelini) are suitable to plant outdoors and if so what are expectations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yes preferbly in a marsh, they need quite an amount of water, i planted 2 last year now i have 1,

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

old boy wrote:
    yes preferbly in a marsh, they need quite an amount of water, i planted 2 last year now i have 1,

You will have much better success if you plant these in a fast draining soil instead of a marsh.

ranvilla, the plants, eventually trees, are what I would regard as date palms.
    One of them is native to the Canary Islands, so imagine the type of soils they will be used to, and the types of temperatures.
    If you opt to plant them outdoors in this country, you must be aware that when the temperature drops below zero, you will have damage to the plants foliage.
    Frost damage is less if you live near the sea or if you wrap the plants with horticultural fleece when frost is promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ranvilla

Thanks I G. Frost is not a problem, am by sea in SW . Which of the two would you recomend? You say"date palms", will they and at what rate flourish into a proper tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Under good growing conditions in their homeland they grow to approx 15 mtrs high by 12 mtrs wide within 20 years.
    But they will be much slower here.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

There is a single Mature specimen of Canary Island Date Palm growing in the Formal Gardens of Fota House in Cork. It was one of a pair planted decades ago. It is some 30 ft Tall but one of the pair was wind damaged in a Storm. The Gardens have replanted a Juvenile pair in front of them.
    It is planted in front of the Orangery and is (IMO) truly spectacular.
    Canary Island Date palm will tolerate frosts up to -5 C. A sheltered Sunny site is best. These plants are indigenous to Hot climates so I would Check out the water requirements as Over-watering is likely to damage the plant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement