Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6300 and Predictive Text

• 27-06-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is the predictive text on the 6300 a pile of rubbish? All my Nokias all the way up (3210, 6310, 6310i, 6100, 6230i) have had progressively better T9 dictionaries, the 6230i able to guess the words as they're typed and all... But the predictive text on the 6300 seems to have taken a step backwards. It doesn't have the option to guess the word, it wrongly capitalises certain words when they're made plural or used with the correct punctuation or whatever, and certain words like mightn't and so on aren't recognised at all. I know I can get it to learn a certain number, but things like the capitalisation it gets wrong both ways in several cases which can't be fixed by using the user dictionary. Like I said, it seems to be a step backwards from what was an excellent dictionary (for people like me anyway who still use English to text ;) )

It's software version 4.91 and last time I checked it's the most up-to-date one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

I replaced my 6100 with a 6300 and I think I know what you mean, only it used to happen to me on the 6100 and not the new phone! It did a few strange things, but the thing I noticed the most was typing things like "you" and then I'd put in the apostrophe for "you're" it would capatilise the feckin thing! I figured I must have forced it to do that the first time I used it and it carried on.. I was careful with the 6300 and it seems to be working fine. Apart from words like of and me, for which the default seems to have been switched around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've noticed this also on a 6233. The way to change the capitalization problem is to keep pressing # 'till it gives you the correct one (uncapitalized). Space, and repeat three or four times. Though this works only about 80% of the time. Basically the problem stems from the dictionary giving priority to words you use more often. If you put in a contraction at the start of a sentence it automatically gets capitalized, do this three or four times without an uncapitalized one inbetween and that word gets bumped above the uncapitalized one. So every time you type it, it's capitalized.

Quite the headwrecker really! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I've noticed this also on a 6233. The way to change the capitalization problem is to keep pressing # 'till it gives you the correct one (uncapitalized). Space, and repeat three or four times. Though this works only about 80% of the time. Basically the problem stems from the dictionary giving priority to words you use more often. If you put in a contraction at the start of a sentence it automatically gets capitalized, do this three or four times without an uncapitalized one inbetween and that word gets bumped above the uncapitalized one. So every time you type it, it's capitalized.

Quite the headwrecker really! :(

Nuts! My mistake, it's a 6233 I have... Was considering the 6300 at the time... :o

Anyway, that could explain it I suppose, but the majority of the time I wouldn't have these words capitalised and it's stayed that way so it's not bumping the non-capitalised ones up the list :( The single most annoying one is "It's"... Grrr... :mad:

Advertisement