Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion: limiting Feedback responses

Options
  • 27-06-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure lots of posters are gonna think I'm a killjoy for suggesting this (and maybe it's already been shot down) but how about blocking users from replying to posts in this forum? i.e. if someone has feedback, they can create a post which can then only be responded to by Admins, SMods or CMods?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Like in the Helpdesk?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Isn't this the sort of thread, where you're looking for a discussion on an issue relating to boards, an example of why Feedback threads should be open to all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

but how will everyone fill the thread up with hilarious cat pictures then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

417.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

but how will everyone fill the thread up with hilarious cat pictures then?
    I wonder how many of them have this already.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/9505/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think all threads in feeback should be limited to replies in the form of Cat pictures only, I mean most threads end up like that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

irish1 wrote:
    I think all threads in feeback should be limited to replies in the form of Cat pictures only, I mean most threads end up like that anyway!

fully agree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Like in the Helpdesk?
    QFT!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sleepy wrote:
    I'm sure lots of posters are gonna think I'm a killjoy for suggesting this (and maybe it's already been shot down) but how about blocking users from replying to posts in this forum? i.e. if someone has feedback, they can create a post which can then only be responded to by Admins, SMods or CMods?

iiswatchin2ro3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You see, if it wasn't for the off-topicness I wouldn't be aware of such a product. Boards has once again brought good things to my brane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Sleepy wrote:

why do you feel that other people shouldnt have a say?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

why make feedback the exact same as helpdesk? why dont you just delete one in that case? i mean why have two help desks? pointless. Feedback imo is there so everyone from boards gets their say on the matter - and is for good as for bad. so, for example when something good happens, eg. stuff being brought back to the site due to upgrades.. would you really want 200 threads on the same topic because people cant reply to one nice thread here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The only thing about Feedback, is it gets abused completely. Iv never seen it on another forum, if someone didnt reply on topic or started spamming a feedback topic - they would get a right out ban. Here, someone comes offering feedback and soon gets a shower of abuse at him with cat pictures and its just laughed at - which can be pretty frustrating.

Talk the issue out, if solved close the topic. Topics that get way out of hand and cant be pulled back - lock em and discuss the matter with the person over PM.

I dont think it should be anything like Feedback, but a bit more moderation would be great to avoid cat pictures ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sully wrote:
    The only thing about Feedback, is it gets abused completely. Iv never seen it on another forum, if someone didnt reply on topic or started spamming a feedback topic - they would get a right out ban. Here, someone comes offering feedback and soon gets a shower of abuse at him with cat pictures and its just laughed at - which can be pretty frustrating.

Talk the issue out, if solved close the topic. Topics that get way out of hand and cant be pulled back - lock em and discuss the matter with the person over PM.

I dont think it should be anything like Feedback, but a bit more moderation would be great to avoid cat pictures ;)

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Cat pictures are awesome. Thats really about the extent of it. I will go so far as to say that the majority of cat pics that get posted give far more to the board than the majority of feedback threads where people simple want to have a ****ing bitch about some minor issue or their banning. ;)

By the way Sleepy, you should be getting better so i can beat you ass all over Westwood, not worrying about Feedback! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I just think something needs to be done about this forum because if I was a n00b, had some feedback and had to put up with the crap you get for posting anything here, I'd leave.

Let's face it, cat pics are lame and abusing n00bs is only useful if you want this forum to become a sad little clique of tired internet clichés.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't see why the forum we use for problem resolution on this site isn't held to the same standards as the other forums. In this thread alone, there's four posts which would get the users banned in at least half the forums on this site.

I understand the reasoning behind leaving this forum unmoderated but surely there's someone in the ranks of the mods that can be trusted with the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well there is a sticky at the top of this forum saying that this forum is for FEEDBACK and that queries and complaints should be made in the HELPDESK.

So I don't see why all us mods and more experienced users keep telling people to 'bring it to Feedback' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Cat pictures can only be posted by cat mods.

It's the reason we are cat mods....duh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cat pictures?

Welcome to the Internet three years ago when cat pics were funny. Population : Boards Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ned78 wrote:
    Cat pictures?

Welcome to the Internet three years ago when cat pics were funny. Population : Boards Mods.

Meanwhile here in currently hip land - a user fighting da powa! zzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont agree with the OP in relation to restricting the number of users who can post in a thread in Feedback. I think people are entitled to their opinion on topics here but I can see where the OP is coming from.

Sully summed it up fairly well a few posts back. Feedback is probably used for all the wrong reasons and as r3nu4l (christ change that user name :D ) quite rightly said we mods are as guilty as anyone else for advising users to post here. Genuine complaints, inquiries or appeals against bans etc should go to the Help Desk. Half of the threads started here are complete sh1te and some of them are deliberately started with a view to carry on a war from another forum.

However the other half are genuine and I have to say that I feel sorry for anyone asking a genuine question on this forum. The genuine users can suffer a tirade of abuse from other users and sad to say from mods on occasions. They are set upon, picked on by every tom, dick and harry and then made fun of by the little boys with their sad little cat pics. Posting these pics is contributing nothing at all to the thread and if people find them amusing then they should be deleted and re-posted in the humour forum.

Maybe its time to tighten up a wee bit on the replies that are posted on feedback. Then and only then will a user with a genuine complaint/appeal/query/idea etc etc feel confident enough to post here without the risk of being mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The trouble with the helpdesk is that the original poster, Smods and admins only have permission to post there, leaving say a Mod in question without the ability to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

If the sMods would be willing to be more proactive on moving threads to helpdesk it may work out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Sleepy wrote:
    I just think something needs to be done about this forum because if I was a n00b, had some feedback and had to put up with the crap you get for posting anything here, I'd leave.

Let's face it, cat pics are lame and abusing n00bs is only useful if you want this forum to become a sad little clique of tired internet clichés.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't see why the forum we use for problem resolution on this site isn't held to the same standards as the other forums. In this thread alone, there's four posts which would get the users banned in at least half the forums on this site.

I understand the reasoning behind leaving this forum unmoderated but surely there's someone in the ranks of the mods that can be trusted with the job?

again, i ask, why do you feel the need to limit who should have a say or not?
    does everyone not have the right to give their opinion?

perhaps we should just remove the image tags if cat pictures offend people so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's quite simple. If you want a admin only discussion on your case use the helpdesk. Mod abuses then tend to get discussed behind closed doors (normally threads like "OMFG Look at this idiot" threads if that makes you feel better).

Feedback is just for offering feedback where the masses can reply. Too often its used by the "Fight the Powa" type users who have been banned and think getting a public concenus will save them. Only to find they get ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Personally I think helpdesk should be revitalised to an extent. Mods given permissions to post, HOWEVER on a very strict "if its not related to you, you dont post on it" basis. At least it gives a right to reply, because its very irritating having to use an sMod or an admin as a go between if an issue related to the forum you mod is raised on helpdesk to get your point across to a User.

If this is done, a fair few of the open "this ban was wrong blah blah" threads can be shifted from here to helpdesk, and a better service can be provided to users and a fairer one, with both sides allowed some sort of representation without all the random cat pictures being thrown in.

and then on here can be used for actual feedback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

What about banning moderators from feedback? I agree with smashey, some new people get a very hard time for posting threads on here. While their issues are often not spectacularly merited, they're rarely worth the abuse they get. Why not make feedback a sounding board for newer users?

Obviously boards isn't strictly there for profit, and the admins probably don't lose any sleep over attracting new users, but pissing off new people to an unnecessary extent is never going to be a progressive step.

I used to think there was a hidden/ subtle joke to the cat/ owl pictures, but I've yet to come across one. I don't think it's true, but to a new person, I imagine this site does seem a bit cliquey, largely because of how feedback threads go.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

InFront wrote:
    I agree with smashey,
    When were you talking to him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's as good as bought tbh.

IM in UR feedbackthred posting muh catz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I agree with crash's suggestion.

Advertisement