Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Review(not good) Boards gets a mention

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote:
    For a limited definition of best.

Remind why Broadband penetration is so low here and line rental so expensive compared with similar economies in Europe, and DSL line failure to get DSL in the first place?

I think you missed the point of what I am saying. Yes if you get the service it will be reliabel. But it's hard to get in 1st place and expensive and slow compared with comparable places in Europe.

So in absolute terms for people that want to get a BB at all, or want more than 8Mbps, they are very poor..

People on here seem unwilling or unable to distinguish between Eircom as an ISP and Eircom as the network owner. Your points are all related to Eircom as the network owner and have been done to death repeatedly. You acknowledge 'yes if you get the service it will be reliable' and thats my point.

Eircom are arguably the best ISP bar Smart. 8Mb speeds etc are totally irrelevant to that point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

never had any issues with eirom, they are a excellent service provider, i'd even invite them to my wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

dub45 wrote:
    People on here seem unwilling or unable to distinguish between Eircom as an ISP and Eircom as the network owner. Your points are all related to Eircom as the network owner and have been done to death repeatedly. You acknowledge 'yes if you get the service it will be reliable' and thats my point.

Eircom are arguably the best ISP bar Smart. 8Mb speeds etc are totally irrelevant to that point.
    They only rate well because they have set the standard and moved the goal posts and made it nearly impossible for anyone else to innovate or make money at DSL. Its one company, I won't be impressed with a guy that kick my dog even if he brings my cat fresh salmon.

It's also easy to be best the best cat lover if you exile all the other cat lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Remind why Broadband penetration is so low here and line rental so expensive compared with similar economies in Europe, and DSL line failure to get DSL in the first place?

No prob, infrastructure privatisation by government decision.

As Ive said before, Eircoms only responsibility is to its shareholders, NOT to provide everyone with boradband enabled exchanges. We gave up that entitlement when the government decided to privatise our communications infrastructure, even though at the times other countries made the same mistake and were suffering the consequences.

Eircom are not responsible for this situation, although granted they are not doing much to help it, those who privatised it are.

watty wrote:
    They only rate well because they have set the standard and moved the goal posts and made it nearly impossible for anyone else to innovate or make money at DSL. Its one company, I won't be impressed with a guy that kick my dog even if he brings my cat fresh salmon.

It's also easy to be best the best cat lover if you exile all the other cat lovers.

They rate well because for the most part their competition in the isp field is lousy in so many respects and because with Eircom by and large you get what you pay for. As for the exile nonsense there is plenty of competition for them however sadly for all of us they are more the most part blessed with the competition that they have.

I repeat the debate is about them as an isp you continue to be either unable or unwilling to appreciate that point.

• Advertisement

Xennon wrote:
    No prob, infrastructure privatisation by government decision.

As Ive said before, Eircoms only responsibility is to its shareholders, NOT to provide everyone with boradband enabled exchanges. We gave up that entitlement when the government decided to privatise our communications infrastructure, even though at the times other countries made the same mistake and were suffering the consequences.

Eircom are not responsible for this situation, although granted they are not doing much to help it, those who privatised it are.

I agree with you totally - no company in the same position as Eircom given the capitalist system that we live under would behave any differently. And the sad fact is that there have been no electoral consequences for the main party that made that lousy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

For those who are asking about other ISP's......I am using Imagine and have had no issues with their service/speed and their tech/customer support is good. Anyone tech support who I have spoken to is irish and you can understand them :-). I have seen very few complaints on boards about them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

eh imagine just resell eircom broadband.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

also the rest of the ISP's depend on Eircom to do everything as they hold all the rights to the network ( phone lines ) . So when you call Imagine or Smart or any service provider they have to go to Eircom to reslove the fault , , as you can Imagine , they are not helpfull ,

Advertisement