Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT office, Tallaght, drive or bike trailer.

• 27-06-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

Guys,
    This may not be a specific bike question but related, mods may want to move thread...

Anyway, does anyone know how far it is from Airton Road in Tallaght to the VRT office at St John's House, Tallaght.
    Also, is there a place near the VRT office that makes reg plates for bikes?

The reason is that I've bought a bike in Brussels and it's being shipped over to a depot in Airton Road, Tallaght next week. However, coming from Belgium, it has no reg plate. I am trying to figure out how get it from Airton Road to the VRT office. If it's close I may chance just driving it over, paying the VRT and then either getting a plate if they are available locally or bringing a blank plate or card and permanent marker to make up a temporary plate if necessary. (I will insure it on the chassis number to drive it over)
    However, if there's any distance between Airton Road and the VRT office I may have to look for a bike trailer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Go with the bike trailer. I know someone who got done with a car from Japan trying to drive from the docks to the VRO beside them. Not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It may be ok but it is chancey. It is only a mile or so. Turn onto belgard road, down towards the square, turn left, in by DID electrical, past smiths toystores and it is the next block. Only about a mile in total. IF you are getting it shipped, see if a friendly van/lorry driver will take you down with it in the back. As for a number plate, city auto components will make you up a bike plate while you wait for about a tenner. They are off the greenhills road on the left just before you get to the walkinstown roundabout. Thats about another mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Just rang the VRT office and the guy said as it's a 99 with no modifications there's no need to present the bike. Just bring the paperwork.

Cheers for the advice lads.

Fr D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

Fr Dougal wrote:
    Just rang the VRT office and the guy said as it's a 99 with no modifications there's no need to present the bike. Just bring the paperwork.

Cheers for the advice lads.

Fr D

Are you sure about this? Ive cleared several bikes over the years and the bike always had to be present to check the engine/frame no. against the paperwork. In fact, I don't know of anyone who ever re-registered anything by just turning up with the paperwork, and most of my friends have imported a vehicle at some stage. Maybe Dublin VRT office workers are more trusting than the shower we have.

jellikit wrote:
    Are you sure about this? Ive cleared several bikes over the years and the bike always had to be present to check the engine/frame no. against the paperwork. In fact, I don't know of anyone who ever re-registered anything by just turning up with the paperwork, and most of my friends have imported a vehicle at some stage. Maybe Dublin VRT office workers are more trusting than the shower we have.

Not sure but I'll let you know tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jellikit wrote:
    Santry VRO are just as trusting. I've been there twice and neither time did they set foot outside to look at the vehicles and I didn't see anyone outside while I was waiting so it must be common practice there too.

Damn, thats strange. here in Wexford they insist on checking out the vin numbers and they even get a bit pissed off if you are not parked within a few yards of their office. I went with my brother to re-register a NI car and we were told to call back when the rain stopped! Maybe if you previously owned the vehicle in another country its a different story, is this the case with either of you?

No, all bought off eBay in GB.

I just think its a bit strange that they don't check the chassis numbers against the documentation. It seems to leave a bit of an opening for misrepresentation. One of my bikes was actually an FZR 750 fitted with a 1000 engine and the hassle I had to register it here when the numbers did'nt match was unreal

I just think its a bit strange that they don't check the chassis numbers against the documentation. It seems to leave a bit of an opening for misrepresentation. One of my bikes was actually an FZR 750 fitted with a 1000 engine and the hassle I had to register it here when the numbers did'nt match was unreal

Sorry Father D, I realize this is going off your original post. I find it curious that different offices doing the same job seem to work to different cryteria

• Advertisement

Just bring messy ones to Dublin VRO offices by the look of it! I know another lad who said they never check his bikes in Tallaght either. They should do their job properly of course and protect future buyers.

jellikit wrote:
    Sorry Father D, I realize this is going off your original post. I find it curious that different offices doing the same job seem to work to different cryteria

No worries, this has actually solved my original problem.

I went in to Santry office with papers in hand and walked out with reg number, no problem. Very efficient in there.
    Problem solved. I'll just bring the plate with me to collect the bike.

There's actually a sign up saying that all Impreza's, Starlets and Corolla's must be presented for inspection.

Also, they said I can use the last 6 digits of the chassis number as my PIN for motortax.ie to tax it online.

Thats handy alright

Fr Dougal wrote:
    Also, they said I can use the last 6 digits of the chassis number as my PIN for motortax.ie to tax it online.
    Yeah, that is handy but beware it takes a few days for it to work for some reason. Different computer sytems between Revenue and the tax office or whatever. Also note that you'll get your new irish certificate of ownership very quickly when you first tax the vehicle. Much quicker than it you bought it here and ownership was transfered. Don't know why that is.

murphaph wrote:
    Yeah, that is handy but beware it takes a few days for it to work for some reason. Different computer sytems between Revenue and the tax office or whatever.

They told me yesterday that the system would be updated overnight. True enough, I've just tried to log in with my Reg number and the last 6 digits and sure enrough, it works.

F

Oh very good. I stand corrected then. Efficiency in irish public service? I'm impressed, though revenue are probably the most efficient dept of the lot! (no surprises why :D )

murphaph wrote:
    though revenue are probably the most efficient dept of the lot! (no surprises why :D )

Oh how true

Advertisement