Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domains

Options
  • 27-06-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

I was told that as of yesterday .ie domains have become open to the public, is this true? if so will we see a reduction in prices?

Comments

Nothing about it on the IEDR website..

They are open to the public in anycase. They just make you jump through stupid hoops to get one.

They want you to fax them a document FFS. In this day in age :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Not just yet it needs to be ratified by the IEDR board in July , so not long after that i'd say.

Sposs wrote:
    Not just yet it needs to be ratified by the IEDR board in July , so not long after that i'd say.

So no more silly application process?

Ive a domain pending that I have been to lazy to followup, hopefully I won't have to jump though their silly hoops.

ronoc wrote:
    So no more silly application process?

Afraid so, you will need to provide a copy of your driving license, birth cert or passport showing you are an Irish Citizen before you can get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

its for personal names like johnsmith.ie

you will still have to go through the process of registering a company website

• Advertisement

Sposs wrote:
    Afraid so, you will need to provide a copy of your driving license, birth cert or passport showing you are an Irish Citizen before you can get one.

So what are they changing then? I thought their discretionary domains covered everything else?

discretionary domains allowed you to register your initial plus a numer such as JS80 for john smith. This now allows you to register the full spelling johnsmith.ie

Sposs wrote:
    discretionary domains allowed you to register your initial plus a numer such as JS80 for john smith. This now allows you to register the full spelling johnsmith.ie

Discretionary names allow you to register anything at the moment right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Sposs wrote:

Don't need to be an Irish citizen to buy a .IE domain.
    But you need to prove you are living in Ireland (For personal domain names) or have a business registered in Ireland (For commercial domain names). In the commercial domain name, you also need to provide company registration/tax information to them to make sure you can have the relevant domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Here's an article about it from mneylon.com

Personal .ie registration rule change

Seems as though they will be relaxing the rules for a personal domain but you will still need to prove you are who you say you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

ronoc wrote:
    Discretionary names allow you to register anything at the moment right?

You need to be able to provide proof of a connection between you and the domain you want to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

If I were setting up a business, not yet registered the name and might not be doing to for a few months but need a corperate identity on the web (must be .ie, the com is taken) how would I go about doing so? Will I get it discressionary? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

cianclarke wrote:
    If I were setting up a business, not yet registered the name and might not be doing to for a few months but need a corperate identity on the web (must be .ie, the com is taken) how would I go about doing so? Will I get it discressionary? Thanks

registering a business name .. will only cost you 20 quid I think from the CRO ... forms available on there as well ..

forbairt wrote:
    registering a business name .. will only cost you 20 quid I think from the CRO ... forms available on there as well ..

It's the simplest way of doing it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

read that in the papers today about personal domain names. though it was good until i read they're planning on charging about €70 per domani. i come on ffs its a personal domain :(

miju wrote:
    read that in the papers today about personal domain names. though it was good until i read they're planning on charging about €70 per domani. i come on ffs its a personal domain :(

That's how much the registry charge NOT how much the rest of us charge....

oh i know its the IEDR charge alright. so is that to read that the hosts will subside the regirsratoin fee for personal domains with hosting?

miju wrote:
    oh i know its the IEDR charge alright. so is that to read that the hosts will subside the regirsratoin fee for personal domains with hosting?
    Huh?

We don't pay anything close to €70 for a domain, so we don't subsidise anything.

I suspect that Ireland's esteemed technology journalists have managed to confuse people yet again ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

the ieDR may charge €70 but the likes of blackknight get the domains at a wholesale rate and then sell at their own price which is a lot less than €70

comer_97 wrote:
    the ieDR may charge €70 but the likes of blackknight get the domains at a wholesale rate and then sell at their own price which is a lot less than €70
    Exactly :)

The IEDR acts as a registrar of last resort, but you're free to choose from anyone else on the list:
    http://www.iedr.ie/ListResellers.php

• Advertisement

excelleeent , thanks for the bang on info as always blacknight :)

Advertisement