Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear problems - 1997 polo

Options
  • 27-06-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Noticed a few problems with my car lately. When i'm putting my car into 3rd gear sometimes (not always) i would find it difficult to get it into gear. Taking it out is no problem it's just 3rd gear. It's almost like i have to move it slighly more to the right to get it into gear. If i do this it's ok. It's almost like the position of third gear has changed slightly to the right if that makes any sense. What could be the problem if any? Also somethigns when i try and go into reverse (which is in the same direction as first) it get stuck somewhere between reverse and first or second and it takes a far amount of effort to get ti back into neutral.

Any ideas whats up. Taking car for a service next week but i would like to get an idea of wats up.

btw, car is a 1997 1L Polo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

IIRC. those Polos have cables for gear selection. It's not uncommon for them to need adjustment/replacement. The fact that you can still select gear probably means the cable isn't broken - so hopefully an adjustment will sort it out, otherwise it could be a problem within the gearbox

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

crosstownk wrote:
    IIRC. those Polos have cables for gear selection. It's not uncommon for them to need adjustment/replacement. The fact that you can still select gear probably means the cable isn't broken - so hopefully an adjustment will sort it out, otherwise it could be a problem within the gearbox

would this explain gear getting stuck between reverse and first. (this happened when car was off by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Does it improve after things have warmed up? I had trouble with my Fiesta and getting into 1st and 2nd gear, though after about 30 minutes it wouldn't be as bad. I got the gearbox oil changed and I have no trouble with it now.

Not sure if it's the same problem - doesn't really sound like it from what you've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Diagram attached. Cables are 40 & 41. There are a few other components in the shift mechanism that could possibly be worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Possibly cables- could also be low on gearbox oil through seepage! v common!

• Advertisement
Advertisement