Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frequencies of interest

• 27-06-2007 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Sunday just gone, I was onboard the LE Roisin, berthed at Sir John Rogersons Quay. While on the bridge and having a good look at their communication equipment, a Motorola PMR mobile set had 150.XXX on the display.

Probably a channel for comms amongst the crew on handhelds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In the interest of security can a Mod remove that frequency please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

hmmmm....lets see.

Directions to the bridge while bething, communicating with shore crew while berthing and general ops on board....

yeaaaa...a security threat alright! D'ohhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulbds

Me, I like topband for inter Europe DX

Paul
    gw4amz - -Irish licence pending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

10m and 6m was excellent the other day on 21ft whip on car with elecraft T1 auto ATU and FT817. Bands full of ejits all over Europe calling North America.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mairt wrote:
    In the interest of security can a Mod remove that frequency please.

:D Someone's been watching Crimson Tide.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Thread title edited slightly to widen the scope a bit.

Mairt, use the report post function or drop me a pm if you want to highlight something.

In the grand scheme of things, a frequency on open view to members of the public isn't a big deal tbh.

edit/: On a second reading, the frequency isn't shown on the Comreg bandplan as military (I had though it was). Slight edit to remove specific detail, please PM if you have any questions.

As ye were ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

If the Navy wanted to keep it a secret, they would have put the radio into channel number mode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

From memory that freq spectrum has a lot of russian telemetry satellite beacons around 150mhz ish, whats the navy doing there in the first place? I wonder if comreg know.. lol

Strangely enough its in use over here for local security, granted you need to know slovak but hey whos listening either or cares.

PauloMN wrote:
    :D Someone's been watching Crimson Tide.... ;)

Some people don't need to watch Crimson Tide to get close to the real action ;)

And Roundy was right, I should have hit the report post button and I apologise for wasting his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Limerick has some "CBish" people on 146 to 150MHz :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

<sigh>... How long is this forum around? 4 weeks maybe? And already the frequency police are on the prowl... :(

Shame. Better add "posting about the navy using dodgy frequencies" to the charter list of offences.

What's done is done etc.

The last thing I want to do is stifle discussion around here, particularly as it's a new forum.

Rest assured that no one will find a banhammer crashing down upon their heads for making an honest mistake, or discussing something they're not sure about, unless it's obviously illegal. The above post was not overly objectionable as far as I'm concerned, but I was requested by PM to look at it further.

Like I say, anyone is free to PM me if they're not sure about something. Boards is a high profile discussion portal, and we have to be seen to comply with the law of the land, that is the way of things unfortunately, and we just have to adhere to that policy as best we can.

My gripe is not with you RM, it is with Mairt and the "interests of security" thing. The charter outlines that discussion of emergency frequencies (e.g. Gardaí frequencies) is not allowed and I've no problem with that. Every other frequency and who is using it should be open to discussion as far as I'm concerned - this is what makes a useful informative forum.

If we're going to have people complaining about every frequency listed, people will just lose interest in posting and reading.

PauloMN wrote:
    My gripe is not with you RM, it is with Mairt and the "interests of security" thing. The charter outlines that discussion of emergency frequencies (e.g. Gardaí frequencies) is not allowed and I've no problem with that. Every other frequency and who is using it should be open to discussion as far as I'm concerned - this is what makes a useful informative forum.

If we're going to have people complaining about every frequency listed, people will just lose interest in posting and reading.

Paul if you have a problem with me, then PM me with them and I'll discuss whatever's on your mind.

Roundy know's my background, unlike yourself this stuff is my profession. I should have PM'd Roundy with my concern's instead of making a post here. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You have to understand something, in Ireland EVERYTHING concerning the military is considered at minimum 'restricted'. And that include's frequencies, even if they are on display to member's of the public.

Anyway like I said, your more than welcome to PM me with any problems you might have with me and we can sort them out there.

As Matt Cooper says, "We'll leave it there".

If posters want to discuss the charter further, let me know. I might open a thread for your views, and if we can incorporate them while sticking to the law of the land, I don't see a reason why the forum rules can't be updated to suit.

I can see where you're both coming from tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement