Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I leave Eircom for ntl

Options
  • 27-06-2007 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all,

At the moment I have eircom broadband, I pay 54 a month for 2mb.
    Its reasonably stable.

I am also paying 21 a month for ntl analogue.
    75 in total

I have just noticed I could move to NTL digital select( better than analogue) and also get ntl broadband (3mb) for for a total of 55.98. or maybe the 6mb for 65.98.

Should I move and Is NTL broadband good and stable.

I live in the Rathgar Area of Dublin bye the way if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think the quality of NTL's broadband is variable and unreliable at best lately (since the UPC takeover). There's been lots of comments around here about just how bad they've become. I'd not recommend them to anyone I know, but perhaps someone in the Rathgar area could give a better opinion of what it's like around there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jimbob wrote:
    Hi all,

At the moment I have eircom broadband, I pay 54 a month for 2mb.
    Its reasonably stable.

I am also paying 21 a month for ntl analogue.
    75 in total

I have just noticed I could move to NTL digital select( better than analogue) and also get ntl broadband (3mb) for for a total of 55.98. or maybe the 6mb for 65.98.

Should I move and Is NTL broadband good and stable.

I live in the Rathgar Area of Dublin bye the way if that makes a difference.

There are a zillion threads on here recently about NTL/Chorus/UPC and their non performance - please do even a modest search and you will have no problem in making up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

if your tv service is ok then there s a good chance the broadband will be ok i have the service and its fine lots of hsteria sometimes on this forum :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

The tv is good alright, so maybe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do you use torrents? If so, no.

You'd basically be jumping from the frying pan into the fire, I wouldn't recommend it.

Is Smart available in your area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

Do you use torrents? If so, no.

You'd basically be jumping from the frying pan into the fire, I wouldn't recommend it.

Why? Do NTL block them :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jimbob wrote:
    Why? Do NTL block them :confused:
    No they just having traffic shaping measures in place so the speeds are s**t. Some people don't have any problems though. I think it may depend on the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sallygap

I was with NTL for a while but had to leave becuase of their customer service. If you have tv with them you might know how it is already but I've told all my friends to steer clear. I'm with Eircom now, no problems.

Advertisement