Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa America Day 1

• 27-06-2007 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

GROUP A: PERU 3-0 URUGUAY

GROUP A: VENEZUELA 2-2 BOLIVIA

Watched the Peru game live then replay of the Bolivia game just there, meh its football on tv.

Ecuador v Chile
    Brazil v Mexico

tonight

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Anyone know where I can get the Team news? Or to make it easier, anyone know if Anderson is in the Brazil 22?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah he will be there. Look out for Elano during the tournament, he is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

Ecuador seem alot stronger than their performance against Ireland would have you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Jaysus the Brazil squad is a bit of a shambles (well, not a shambles at all really, but not great) with the loss of a few big names. Without Ronaldinho, Kaka, Juninho, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Adriano, Ronaldo and others from the World Cup (yes, I know most of them retired). Should be an opportunity to see a few flashy new players at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Peru were great last night, Uruguay were useless. Didnt watch much of the other game. And Brazil's squad is far from a shambles. I am looking forward to seeing these young ones tonight against Mexico game tonight.

Brazil probable starting 11 VS Mexico : Helton, Juan ,Alex,Maicon ,Gilberto, Gilberto Silva, Mineiro, Elano, Diego,Robinho, Vágner Love.

12 Doni
    13 Daniel Alves
    14 Alex Silva
    15 Naldo
    16 Kleber
    17 Josué
    18 Fernando
    19 Júlio Baptista
    20 Ânderson
    21 Afonso
    22 Fred
    think its a pretty strong squad hoping anderson and afonso get a good run out tonight looking forward to seeing both of them especially to see what d United new boy is like.elano is another to keep an eye on playin for donesk and big things expected of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What with all the Elano bumping? Yea, I know, big things expected of him but he isnt exactly unheard of. Its like saying 'watch Robinho, great things expected of him'. Elano had a great game against Argentina at the emirates, but looked fairly average against England. He has potential - playing to it is the big question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

what time and station is the brazil game on?

• Advertisement

Brazil on at 1 and its on Sky or http://rojadirecta.com/

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How likely is it that Anderson will get on?

Tbh the onyl way your going to find out the scores is either here or if you go looking, the games repeated morrow twice on sky.

6 and 9 i think they on at.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

To the average fan, who's football horizons only revolve around the English League, Elano is hardly a household name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

god dammit i had great plans of getting back into a normal sleeping pattern. stupid football....ok ok, I dont mean that, friend, companion, secret lover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Copa America rules

Ecuador have managed to screw this up and lose 3-2 to Chile. Quality tournament so far, and none of the big guns have played yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Mexico 2-0 Brazil after 30 minutes. Two great goals from Castillo and Morales.

Argentina v USA tonight on ss1 really looking forward to seeing argentina have a great squad out there.some great player on the bench aswel should be interesting 2 see how the manager uses the squad

Probable lineups:

Argentina: Roberto Abbondanzieri - Javier Zanetti, Roberto Ayala, Gabriel Milito Gabriel Henize,Juan Verón, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso ,Juan Riquelme ,Lionel Messi and Hernán Crespo.

United States: Kasey Keller ,Marvell Wynne, Dan Califf, Jimmy Conrad , Drew Moor ,Sacha Kljestan, Justin Mapp, Benny Feilhader e Ricardo Clark , Hércules Gómez ,Eddie Johnson.

So who else staying up for it? Dardoz ruined my plan for the Brazil game so have to stay up and watch this cos i dont trust anyone on here :)

Possible front 4 of Juan Riquelme ,Lionel Messi and Hernán Crespo and tevez :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Paraguay are really taking the piss here.

• Advertisement

How is he number one keeper? Have they no one else?

As the commentator says, Colombia are taking the monkeys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Breathtaking stuff. After Tim Vickery's hardsell on Argentina earlier, I'm definitely staying up for them. :cool:

Argentina 0-1 USA.

Eddie Johnson from the stop. 8 minutes gone.

1-1

Crespo 11 mins

3-1 Argentina.

Crespo and Aimar with the goals.

Tevez on with 10 minutes to go.

Edit: He's only been on 5 minutes and he makes it 4-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The US did well for the first hour and then fell apart in the last half hour. Not bad for Argentina who can bring on the likes of Aimar, Tevez and Gago as subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Robinho struck a hat-trick for Brazil last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can anyone explain what the free kick was given for at the end of the match the other night (Venezuela vs Peru) Defender flicked it up for himself to head back to the keeper, and the opposition got a free.... what rule did he break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/lotg2006%5fe%5f1581.pdf

^ beware, that's a pdf.
    Laws of the Game

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct are penalised as follows.

Indirect Free Kick -

An Indirect Free Kick is awarded to the opposing team if the goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences

-(this is the third one) Touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate.

Decision 3 (here's the important part)

Subject to the terms of Law 12, a player may pass the ball to his own goalkeeper using his head or chest or knee, etc. If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play in order to circumvent the Law, the player is guilty of unsporting behaviour. He is cautioned, shown a yellow card and an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the infringement occurred.

In such circumstances, it is irrelevant whether the goalkeeper subsequently touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12
    :)

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Cheers!

What a crock of crap though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

I think its a joke that Brazil are playing a team they played in the group again in the quarter, crazy stuff, I know there is only twelve teams in it but this is having a laugh.

Argentina have a tricky game against Paraguay, depending on the result could meet Mexico.

All right I am finished complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Riquelme is the God of passing.

4 winners in the qtrs scored 20 goals between them :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Surprised there aren't more posts on this. It may not be football of the highest (defensive) standard, but it sure is fun to watch.

Uruguay v Brazil about to kick off. Personally I hope Uruguay do them, I really don't like this Brazilian squad. They all seem to think they're superstars. G'wan Forlan.

Maicon puts Brazil in the lead after 13 mins.

Game now stopped because of floodlight failure...

• Advertisement

Forlan! That goals been coming for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Baptista puts Brazil ahead!

Great attacking play but awful, awful football. Both teams playing like

2-2. Arbeu 70 min

Gonna be an interesting last 20 minutes.

Brazil win an incredible shoot-out 5-4.

Ugly scenes after it. Uruguay players went and threw punches at Brazil players.

andrewie wrote:
    Brazil win an incredible shoot-out 5-4.

Ugly scenes after it. Uruguay players went and threw punches at Brazil players.
    in fairness though, i'd be pissed too if the oppo keeper blatantly cheated and the ref did nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

what happened - i didnt see the game - was the keeper off his line for a peno or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLqDJZON1kk&NR=1

The guys in the video are great!!! :D

MooShop wrote:
    what happened - i didnt see the game - was the keeper off his line for a peno or something?
    yep - keeper was jumping out off the line before the peno was hit - but the ref or linesman did nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

How great was Arbeu's penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

fortuneg wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLqDJZON1kk&NR=1

The guys in the video are great!!! :D
    Heh.

"I need a drink after this"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anyone else staying up to watch Argentina vs Mexico? After the World Cup match they served up last year I think I will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Just a little dink over the keeper ...easy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fegJUGRLI9w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I actually laughed at how casually he did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Would I be right in thinking that the final will be on at 10pm our time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Would I be right in thinking that the final will be on at 10pm our time?
    Around that, coverage starts at 9 or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement