Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after have arrived does it take for them to send you the green card?

Options
  • 27-06-2007 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all

another quick one

How long after you have arrived does it take for them to send you the green card?

Also should i register with special services right away after i arrive or does it matter i am under 25?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

In my case, about nine months. Keep them informed if you move! They put a stamp in your passport which is valid for a year, so not having the physical card isn't a big deal.

Special services=social security? Give it two weeks to see if they send you a card. If they don't go to the nearest office to apply in person. They told me one was in the works automatically, but it wasn't.

It matters - you can't work (on the books) or open a bank account without a social security number, whatever age you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Americano

Thanks for the reply ajos

my mistake "selective services" is to do with if they have a draft again they can call me up http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

say i want to get a re-entry permit to leave the states and go back in 2 years do i need the physical card to get that? how long wil i have to be in the country to get reentry permit?

how long have you been out without getting one >1year??

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

Never heard of that! Well, I was over 26 when I got here so I guess it doesn't matter.

There's a form to fill out if you're going to be gone longer then six months. I think you need a pretty good reason - education or something. I doubt very much they'd let you come in for a month and leave immediately for two years, although what do I know - if you don't ask you don't get.

The passport stamp does everything the physical card does for one year - just make sure that they always know where you are to mail the card.

I haven't been out for longer than two weeks at a stretch since I got here - New York is too great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I had to sign up for the selective services thing when I arrived, they gave me a note before they handed me the visa in the US Embassy in Dublin and I had to sign it. You can get the form in the US post offices and send it off then. Oh took about 3-4 weeks to get my greencard after arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

It took me 6 weeks, and it took one of my friends 15 months. So, basically it is all over the place. This was about 10 years ago, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Anyone have any idea of any problems if you don't sign up for selective service? I've already got my green card and ssn so I'm not sure if it'd have any effect at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I think they ask about it if you apply for citizenship. Once you register, the Pentagon sends you a selective service number, and you fill this in when you apply. Have no idea if the INS (or whatever they are called now) have any way of checking on this, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

hehe i am 26 and so far i heard nothing about selective services! Besides I don't think it applies to me since i got a company sponsored gc. Started my job this week in calfornia.... All is good, weather is great! Kaiser Perm or Blue shield??? hmmmmm. I read alot of people didn't get there ssn in the post so they went to ss office in their area and got it sorted. I got my ssn when i first went to US on J1 years and years ago (but lost the card in the meantime). Luckily i wrote the number don't in my diary!

Advertisement