Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zone broadband

Options
  • 27-06-2007 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Today Zone broadband are looking for subscribers in my area. They are offering a central satellite up and down link with local wireless distribution. Generally I know that people don't have a high opinion of this type of service.

I'd be interested to hear of peoples direct experience of this product please.
    They say if they can get 20 signatures they'll have everybody around here on-line within a couple of weeks. Our local exchange is also on the infamous Eircom 100 upgrade list for 2007.

What sort of latency could you expect with this type of system - they mention stripping flow/error control from the TCP/IP packets to over come the time lag on the satellite link. Would running citrix over it be a complete non runner.

Thks,
    Zug

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Hey
    Have a go at this and see what you think.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055102574

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Jesus that's bad....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

zone are one of the very very worst suppliers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Checked out, if there are other providers out there ? What county are you in ?

If there are none and you are tech savvy, you can always try to build the last mile yourself. Check http://www.thewan.net/

/Martin

Thanks for the replies.
    Having done a search of the boards and googled zone broadband, so far I haven’t come across any positive comments about this company. There is plenty of interest in my area for broadband and I’d guess that they well might get the 20 signatures required. Ignoring the bad service for a second I’m guessing that if you just want to browse the internet it would probably be fine, but due to the approx 400ms time lag on the up and down link that any interactive stuff would be a pain. As I’ve waited about 18 months for broadband I might as well wait a few more and see what Eircom do with the exchange.

Marlow I do work in IT but my knowledge of wireless comms is pretty much non existent. Also I’ve just moved into my house about 18 months ago and I’ve got bigger fish to fry on trying to finish that project at the moment.

Zug

• Advertisement

zugvogel wrote:
    Marlow I do work in IT but my knowledge of wireless comms is pretty much non existent. Also Zug

How can one work in any field of I.T and not have at least a little knowledge of wireless? very strange comment...

velly easily - just don't have exposure to wireless through work and in the degrees (Information Systems and Engineering) I did, it wasn't covered to any great extent and in fact I've forgotten most of it - to be honest I'd be hard pushed to name the layers in the OSI seven layer model at this stage.

zugvogel wrote:
    to be honest I'd be hard pushed to name the layers in the OSI seven layer model at this stage.

Your only playing with me now...

zugvogel wrote:
    velly easily - just don't have exposure to wireless through work and in the degrees (Information Systems and Engineering)

The degrees are ok to give you the basics, but learning about technology etc. only happens in the Field.

I didn't have any clue about wireless beyond your standard residental WiFi when i came to Ireland nearly 4 years ago and I had to fight for 4 months to get broadband in an estate right across from Dell in Cabinteely, to end up with a line, that was capped and with poor upstream.

Today I've got my own business providing wireless broadband to nearly 400 people on the westcoast.

What I'm saying is, that it's no rocket sience, to get this up and running. There are solutions out there, that are easy to manage. The communities are helpful enough to get you going.

And the attitude "I'll wait for Eircom to enable the exchange" will never kickstart broadband in this country.

/Martin

JPB - Just in case you think I’m taking the pis…

Princess Diana Never Tried Shagging Prince Andrew.

Working backwards with a rough example

7 Application layer -> HTTP
    6 Presentation layer
    5 Session layer
    4 Transport layer -> TCP
    3 Network layer -> IP
    2 Data Link layer -> Ethernet
    1 Physical layer -> UTP cable

In my case I wouldn’t have any knowledge on the data link layer and physical layer protocols used in wireless systems.
    Have a look here http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Protocols/sevenlayer.php
    for some more info.

Marlow I agree.

Zug

• Advertisement

zugvogel wrote:
    7 Application layer -> HTTP
    6 Presentation layer
    5 Session layer
    4 Transport layer -> TCP
    3 Network layer -> IP
    2 Data Link layer -> Ethernet
    1 Physical layer -> UTP cable

In my case I wouldn’t have any knowledge on the data link layer and physical layer protocols used in wireless systems.

Layer 2 - 802.11a/b or g
    Layer 1 - microwaves :)

There is not much difference to ethernet in wireless.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Actually a good trick to play on the new IT kid is to send him to the storeroom for 15 metres of Wireless LAN cable. Any colour will do.

Jumpy wrote:
    Actually a good trick to play on the new IT kid is to send him to the storeroom for 15 metres of Wireless LAN cable. Any colour will do.

Need to remember that for the summer job seekers :) You could also ask them, to check what color the datastream coming down the fiber has ? If it's red, we're are in trouble. Might result in disconnected fiber trunk though.

/Martin

Marlow wrote:
    Need to remember that for the summer job seekers :) You could also ask them, to check what color the datastream coming down the fiber has ? If it's red, we're are in trouble. Might result in disconnected fiber trunk though.

/Martin

LOL oh how i laugh...you IT guys....

Advertisement