Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction Hobs

Options
  • 27-06-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I am looking for opinions on induction hobs. Was originally thinking of getting a gas hob but am now being swayed by the sleek looks and easier cleaning.
    Has anyone got an induction hob and regret getting one?

Is there plenty of pots and pans suitable. I tried a few pans so far with a magnet but it would not stick.

Has anybody used a wok (flat-bottomed I think?) on an induction hob? Any comments please.
    I have to make a decision tomorrow!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Hi,

There was an induction hob in the house we moved into last year. We knew nothing about it and could'nt understand why our pots would'nt work. The previous owner explained to us that the pots need to be magnetic on the bottom.

we bought a new set of pots - just Tefal ones and they are fine. We did find it quite hard to find ones that are suitable (and affordable!!). I had to buy a new frying pan also which cost €75 in Arnotts. You can find induction pots in Arnotts, Roches, etc - they do cost more that bog standard pots.

Induction technology is good though as it uses less energy. Plus if anything spills ont he hob while cooking, it does'nt burn on like ordinary electric hobs. They are very easy to clean/kkep clean.

Not sure if I have helped at all, but we are happy with it. It's just the initial outlay for the new pots,etc that got to us. We had to give all our old pots away as they were no use to us

Dools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The Idealworld.tv channel on were selling a small induction hop at the weekend. They also had the pans to suit. Their presentation was very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

I have one (an expensive designer one at that). Thought it looked great in the showroom and splurged that bit extra.

Although it does look cool, you pay through the nose for pots and pans that work with it. Sometimes you will get pots that half work, so you really have no choice but to pay top dollar for the good ones.

Also, my cool designer hob has broken down 3 times in 4 years and needed new parts.

Finally, if your into your cooking (and the Mrs is!), she says you just cant control the heat like gas.

My 2c, if I could do it again, I would have bought a gas hob and put the extra cash towards a big LCD!

JAb

Advertisement