Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car??

Options
  • 27-06-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all

Have a 05 mondeo zetec tdci at the mo and changing soon,was thinking about a new passat but new mondeo looks nice,was also thinking of buying a 2nd hand a4 tdi or 320d,what you guys think.

advise me please !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you're happy with your Mondeo, then a test drive in the new model wouldn't do any harm. Hows about a Mazda 6 or Hyundai Sonata

• Registered Users Posts: 45,746 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

...how
    ....about
    .....you
    ......check
    .......out
    .........a
    ...........new
    ............ Skoda Octavia!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭aston

Mazda maybe,hyundai no f***** way!!!
    Skoda not bad but would drove one and would prefer my mondeo any day,
    saw new model mondeo and it looks a nice machine...gona tea one tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭aston

Test !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

cars built in the last 20 years are invisible to me they all look alike its a blend of front wheel drive apathy. Then this yoke shot into view it had a blue badge and a new reg wow new Mondeo haven't seen one up close yet but interesting. I could never afford one of course, I will just have to stick to my 4 litre junker oh well. But if i had a few bob that new Mondeo just stood out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

aston wrote:
    Mazda maybe,hyundai no f***** way!!!
    Skoda not bad but would drove one and would prefer my mondeo any day,
    saw new model mondeo and it looks a nice machine...gona tea one tomorrow

Huyndai is moving upmarket these days, but is still not that expensive. Don't discount it until you drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Give an A4 a test you wont be disapointed. I drive an A4 (albeit an old one!), its in the garage at the moment so I'm driving my sisters 406 which is 6 years newer and on paper a better car but still I cant wait to get my own car back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I like the look of the Mazda 6, if I was going for a rep mobile again.

I don't think I'd ever buy a German car again after the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be going for the new Mondeo. Mazda 6 will be replaced next year. I have driven a Snotata and it made me feel dirty. Nothing wrong with the Skoda, but I'd still go for a new Mondeo.

Good luck getting hold of one soon though. Despite Ford's promises that 600 were arriving for the launch can't get hold of a single diesel without a fresh order. Probably looking at August/September delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

According to Autocar, the new mondeo is a better drive than a 3 series BMW - which is probably the benchmark, and its not too far behind the BMW in every other aspect according to them and years ahead of the competition (they obviously never drove an Octavia :rolleyes: ) - I am a bit disappointed in the way it looks in the flesh compared to original pics, but its still a good looking car, so if you like it - drive it and see.

Btw I drove a e46 320td a few months back - a stonking good drive too, makes the case for my 2.2 petrol one seem a bit silly.(except for the sound)

Can't comment on the A4 - but I doubt you'll find it any improvement dynamically over the Mondeo you have, thats a great car too, but it might just feel a bit more special as Audis do.

Just my opinions.
    rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Alfa GT JTDm

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

It would have to be the BMW for me, a nice 323i SE.
    I wouldnt go near the mondeo but thats probably just cos my Da has ear bashed me about ford since forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Or Alfa 159 JTDm

28118d1182882941-the-alfa-159-image-thread-l1000267.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

prospect wrote:
    Or Alfa 159 JTDm

28118d1182882941-the-alfa-159-image-thread-l1000267.jpg

oooooohhhh!!!! I need to..... erm.... leave the room!!!! :o:o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RobAMerc wrote:
    According to Autocar, the new mondeo is a better drive than a 3 series BMW

Uh? :eek:

Any link? I don't recall ever reading a review where a same size saloon competitor was a better drive than a 3-series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

@ OP: people can give you advice on specific cars in relation to reliability, performance etc. etc., but your dilema sounds like the "should I get a new middle-of-the-road saloon or spend the same money on something a bit older but nicer"? People can't really advise you on that as it's up to you ultimately, but can only give you their take on it.

I bought my previous car new, and while I liked the new car experience, I'd never do it again. I had around €21k to spend this time, and had the obvious new choices, but decided to get a second-hand A4 1.8T. Must say it's the best decision I made as far as I'm concerned - nothing new in the €21k bracket would come close to the class, quality, drive and performance of the car I bought. And don't think you need to take second best when buying second-hand, my A4 looks like it just rolled out of the factory and it came with a year warranty.

Just be careful where you buy - make sure you get a decent warranty and full service history.

Found the autocar review. It states nowhere that the Mondeo drives better than a 3-series
    TomMc wrote:

That's hardly a review now, is it? Also a motoring journo that comes up with:
    The Mondeo is one of my favourite cars. I'm as tweaked up about the new one we've just driven as I am about any new Ferrari or Porsche. Honestly

Doesn't immediately get my full attention ;)

Don't get me wrong. I really like the new Mondeo (although the Bond concept one looked better) and I'm sure it is an even better drivers car than the one it replaces. If depreciation is as high as the outgoing model, a Mondeo will make an excellent second hand buy in a few years time :)

unkel wrote:
    Uh? :eek:

Any link? I don't recall ever reading a review where a same size saloon competitor was a better drive than a 3-series
    Thats generally because they are not!

Sorry, I dont have a link, I only have a hard copy of the Magazine.
    It's not the review online.
    The mags headline is "Mondeo beats BMW" I think that might be an indication of the ful text.

unkel wrote:
    Found the autocar review. It states nowhere that the Mondeo drives better than a 3-series

This is NOT the review I am talking about.
    I dont just make sh*t up you know!

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote:
    This is NOT the review I am talking about.
    I dont just make sh*t up you know!

Relax, I ain't calling you a liar! Perhaps your magazine is unrelated to autocar.co.uk.

Edit: according to wiki they are one and the same!

Maybe the magazine article is more comprehensive than the online article, but it would be strange if such a strong statement would be left out of the on line article.

Perhaps they do multiple reviews of the same car :D

unkel wrote:
    Relax, I ain't calling you a liar! Perhaps your magazine is unrelated to autocar.co.uk.

Edit: according to wiki they are one and the same!

Maybe the magazine article is more comprehensive than the online article, but it would be strange if such a strong statement would be left out of the on line article.

Perhaps they do multiple reviews of the same car :D

They are one and the same, and the article was completely different, they actually do a back to back road test with a 320d and a Mondeo 2.0td.

btw the online versions are always far less comprehensive than the printed ones, no one would buy them otherwise. :rolleyes:

You really should have got your facts straight before rubbishing what I said.

RobAMerc wrote:
    You really should have got your facts straight before rubbishing what I said.

I wasn't rubbishing what you said, but apologies if I came over that way!

I'd like to read that article from the (printed) magazine. Should prove to be an interesting read

One of the best and most comprehensive head-to-head reviews I've read was an Alfa GT vs BMW E46 - can't remember the magazine. That was too close to call

@OP - tough one. One the one hand the new Mondeo is an excellent car by all means. Will it depreciate as badly as the previous one? Maybe, maybe not. No one can tell

On the other hand, a BMW 320d depreciates less than most main stream cars over the first few years, meaning that a second hand one is overpriced. An A4 TDI depreciates a bit more, so is cheaper to buy

The BMW would be the best drivers car, but the Mondeo would be brand spanking new. Did you drive all three? If I were in your situation and I'd keep the car for two years, I'd be inclined to go for the Mondeo if I liked the way it drove...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When the P11 nissan primera was launched a head to head test between the 2.0GT and the BMW 320i (in autocar too) found the primera to be a better drivers car, despite being front wheel drive as against the BMW's rear wheel drive.

Joe Public didn't care.

my point which was probably poorly made was that not only is the Mondeo better to drive but its nearly as good as the BMW in all other respects too, fit and finish,build quality, ride quality, road noise etc.

And your right the driving dynamics bit will be lost on most - I actually think most Fords particularly are over engineered in that respect.

Not my opinion - that of Autocar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

RobAMerc wrote:
    not only is the Mondeo better to drive but its nearly as good as the BMW in all other respects too, fit and finish,build quality, ride quality, road noise etc.

Let's not forget, considerably more spacious as well.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-full.aspx?RT=2732

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=275

It is sad but some BMW & VAG drivers identify themselves with their cars :rolleyes: and to admit that a Ford may be better is like death to their ego.

TomMc wrote:
    http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-full.aspx?RT=2732

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=275

It is sad but some BMW & VAG drivers identify themselves with their cars :rolleyes: and to admit that a Ford may be better is like death to their ego.

ha ha...
    Now I'm just confused - I have a BMW ! :D

• Advertisement

I have one too,

but many owners are emotionally attached to car brands (and not just their own car itself), like they are with football teams or political parties :rolleyes: and so find it hard to admit the opposition may be better in certain respects.

To identify yourself as a "BMW driver" as opposed to a "car enthusiast" is sad. Otherwise you cannot see the wood for the trees. This has become very common with certain german car owners, who continue to knock Ford or look down their nose at them, for no good reason.

Advertisement