Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning the jaloppy

Options
  • 27-06-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I took my car to the car was this evening and decided I'd do the polish at the grandparents place since there's a lot of through traffic in the driveway at the minute at home.

So I got some wax on the black trim (surprise surprise...)

Anyhow: I discovered through experimenting with Brillo Pads that they're perfect for cleaning black plastic trim...furthermore..liquid shoe polish has proven beneficial to said trim. I'll wait to see how it looks in the morning, but things are looking good!!

Any comments or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I would not use a brillo pad as it is bound to scratch to some degree. Shoe polish ? well it will just be a short term solution, covering up the stains. The oils in peanut butter work well at actually removing the white stains left in plastic. Otherwise a degreaser usually does the trick. More modern car polishes & waxes are water based or at least have a lower solvent content so this staining does not occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Please never use the word car and brillo pad in the same sentence. I'm with the above poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

stratos wrote:
    Please never use the word car and brillo pad in the same sentence. I'm with the above poster.

I obviously didn't use it on the paintwork, but as the trim isn't and never has been an entirely flush surface it does a good job of removing unwanted stains. Never tried it before because we don't keep such items in the house:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

TomMc wrote:
    I would not use a brillo pad as it is bound to scratch to some degree. Shoe polish ? well it will just be a short term solution, covering up the stains. The oils in peanut butter work well at actually removing the white stains left in plastic. Otherwise a degreaser usually does the trick. More modern car polishes & waxes are water based or at least have a lower solvent content so this staining does not occur.

I'm going to a few stealers this weekend shopping so a quick fix will do!!

Advertisement