Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this M5 over-priced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Beautiful car but I just couldn't bring myself to spend e41,000 on a car with over 70,000 miles. It's not the sort of car you sell over night so surely there is room for negotiation on the price.

How about the M3? e35,000 would get you this http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=697302

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

gotta have 4 doors unfortunately.

so you reckon its over-priced then? by how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I honestly don't know, I am just a peasant who can only dream of such machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

check out this site, there UK prices but will give ya a idea of the price range.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/list.asp?s=572

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

price matches similar cars on carzone but many cars there tend to be overpriced anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There's a Schwartz Black 2002 on the Pistonheads link for £25k, which is nearly €40k before VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It's about right for the price if it's a good one. I have a 01 M5 for about five years and they're not that expensive to run for a performance car, which it is, but a very practical car you can use everyday too. Oil and tyres are probably what you'll spend most money on but that depends on how you drive it (you'll always be tempted to use the power :) )Great car though if you buy right you can't go wrong. I'd go so far as to say it's probably one of the best cars on the road, it's got everything you could want and more. A future classic too for sure. Mpg varies from about 12 to high 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

junkyard wrote:
    It's about right for the price if it's a good one. I have a 01 M5 for about five years and they're not that expensive to run for a performance car, which it is, but a very practical car you can use everyday too. Oil and tyres are probably what you'll spend most money on but that depends on how you drive it (you'll always be tempted to use the power :) )Great car though if you buy right you can't go wrong. I'd go so far as to say it's probably one of the best cars on the road, it's got everything you could want and more. A future classic too for sure. Mpg varies from about 12 to high 20's.
    Good to know, I hope to own one some day. To be honest they are an enthusiast car, some people would prefer a 07 3 series diesel(no offence to any owners just an example) then a car that really looks quite like a normal 5 series. Some people will want a car that is a wolf in sheeps clothing, amazing power and a car that is practical and yet is a brilliant piece of engineering. Its a balls tax and VRT are a killer of prices of these cars in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TBH I would be looking for a car with lower miles for that money. I think your best option for a car like that is to travel across the pond. Pay out the money for the inspection if unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Nephew wrote:
    Beautiful car but I just couldn't bring myself to spend e41,000 on a car with over 70,000 miles. It's not the sort of car you sell over night so surely there is room for negotiation on the price.

How about the M3? e35,000 would get you this http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=697302

Motorvation in Bluebell are selling the same car for €3,500 less for some reason:

http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=717787

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Hi. I'm on my second M5 and I think the miles on that car are a big issue. The M5 is one of the fasted depreciating cars in the world. It is also less popular than the M3 and is harder for people to sell. If you are buying for cash then you should consider offering well below the asking price. I bought my current car for 12k less than it was being offered on carzone. If you are trading then it will be much more difficult.

I would be very careful on the miles. It will make a big difference on your trade in. The car is fantastic. More power than an M3 and superb handling. Possible also to drive as a normal car. The fuel economy is shocking. Much much worse than an M3. In my current car it is over 20 litres per 100kms. Disks and tyres are also very expensive and need regular changing.

Summary, car is highly recommended. Try to buy one with FSH and lowest possible miles. If you are not trading then offer at least 10-15% below asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My Dad bout an 00 M5 a few years back and had real troubles with it. That was just that particular car though, he was lied to by the stealers and he bought a pup. He'd tell me that he'd travel to Kerry and back and have to completely change the oil (or do whatever one does with oil, unfortunately I'm not a mechanic). So just be sure that the car is sound.

Advertisement