Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop dogs digging up lawn?

Options
  • 27-06-2007 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I am at my wits end with the dogs at the minute as they are really getting into landscape gardening. Only problem is that they seem to think a nicely mowed lawn looks nothing without a few deep ankle breaker holes in it.

It has been the same routine for about three weeks now. They dig (they prefer late afternoon when I am watching tv) and I then fill only to find the same hole has been dug up again the following evening. The lawn looks a bit like the battle of the somme now.:(

All three (I assume) work at the holes in rota judging from the muddy paws and noses so when they are finished the hole is quite deep with soil thrown up for about a three feet radius.

This evening they started a new hole so I am fearing my lawn will be a show . Its not too bad when the weather and soil is relatively dry - god help us when the winter comes. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If they keep returning to the same hole(s) ...put some of their faeces into it, next time you fill it. That should turn them off that particular hole at least.

Other than that ...catch them in the act, sneak up on them and then unleash an almighty "thunderstorm" with rumbling and grumbling.

That should impress them for a while.

Keep watching them though (from where they can't see you) and as soon as they start digging again, let them know in no uncertain terms that you've seen them and that you don't approve.

Getting caught in the act when they think that nobody was watching impresses dogs quite a bit.

You have to be clever about it, but if they start to "believe" that you're almighty and watching them all the time, they might just give up (or dig the holes where you REALLY can't see them :D:D:D )

Oh ...and if all else fails and they just HAVE TO dig (some dogs are like that) ...assign them a little corner where they can dig a way to their hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I've read that dogs hate the scent of citrus fruits. I've put orange, lemon and lime skins around where my dog digs. It seems to have worked for the present at least. Only problem is when the scent wears off .... :rolleyes:

BTW does any one know the reason they dig apart from the obvious reason of burying a bone or tit-bit :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

:D My pup has dug a huge hole in the centre of our garden and a few around the garden. I think its because she senses something underneath. She seems to find the oddest things! She seems fasinated by stones and pieces of concrete (the house we're renting is less then 3 years old and the was no topsoil put down so plenty of bits from the building site to dig up!). I put it down to being pure nosey along with boredom. :rolleyes: the joys of dogs but boy do we love them!
    Maybe try the "get off" stuff available in pet stores and garden centres. I know its more for stopping dogs soiling your garden but maybe it'll put them off digging.
    Also, assign a place for them to dig and hide treats in the ground. Literally, get down on your hands and knees and dig with your "paws" in the assigned place - making sure the dogs are with you, and pull out a treat. Move to another spot do it again. They'll then see these treats appearing and go searching for them! Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

corkimp wrote:
    :She seems fasinated by stones and pieces of concrete

I think you may be onto something there as mine are prone to scraping plaster off walls and I always find a few stones around each hole. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

A few stones are ok but these things are nearly half the size of her head or more! Her father was very possessive of a rock too when we saw him when we went to look at her. He nearly scrope it off my car! My sister Kashi has a Gsd too who eats my moms plants - not in the good books! Also a huge hole down the end of their garden - approx 10 ft by 5ft and about 6" deep in places - think its his "bed" - wierd dog! He's giving my one bad habits already and only met her twice! lol :rolleyes: Kashi he is a terror for moms plants! lol:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I know the feeling..............

461807284_4773100e5e.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement