Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it an OS thing or a model thing...

• 28-06-2007 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about getting phones to work in Ireland when brought back from abroad and I see comments about the N95 being passed testing...

If the N95 is now working in Ireland, SMS and so on, does that mean that other Symbian S60 third gen phones will also work or is it still a matter of model by model they have to be passed to work on the network? For example the Nokia 6110 navigator is quite similar to the N95 but not mentioned on the o2 site at all. Would it be expected then to work without problems or only work in limited fashion does anybody know?

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

basic functions on any gsm handset shoudl work on any of the networks here. where you might run into issues are accessing portal pages (ie vodafone live!) or configuring 3g or data services..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Thanks - Yeah, I had a problem when I brought back a D500 from the UK some years ago now - I couldn't get any wap access or mms (not sure if sms was also a problem) for several months on it. Kept hounding O2 about it. But I can see how the D500 would have it's own OS/software set up with it's own particular configuration. Whereas Symbian phones, like the N95, E65, 6110 etc would - I assume - have a shared set up and once one could browse with one, could you then browse with all... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

art wrote:
    Whereas Symbian phones, like the N95, E65, 6110 etc would - I assume - have a shared set up and once one could browse with one, could you then browse with all... ?
    If not the exact same the setups will be pretty similar.

Afaik the whole testing thing is to make sure that when, ie vodafone, sell a phone that it will work with no probs on their network straght out of the box, as in not requiring any setting to be changed etc.

I would say that any phone which works on the correct band should work on the networks here. You may have to do some settings yourself, but at least in the case of symbian phones it is at least possible to make these changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

art wrote:
    Just wondering about getting phones to work in Ireland when brought back from abroad and I see comments about the N95 being passed testing...

You need to buy the phone within Europe to qualify for repair / replacement under the manufacturer warranty. A few quid saved in the States or in the Far East could prove expensive in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Ah grand. Why I'm asking is I've a friend that works for a dutch telecoms company who has offered to try get me me a good deal on a phone, so it would be a European model alright. She's to get back to me on what phones are available but she mentioned the two Symbian phones I referred to earlier and both seem to be pretty good phones, probably worth trying to get one if the price is reasonable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

yapyap wrote:
    You need to buy the phone within Europe to qualify for repair / replacement under the manufacturer warranty. A few quid saved in the States or in the Far East could prove expensive in the long run.

Are you sure? I thought most companies offer international warranties. I know Apple does, so even if you buy an iPod in the US, you're covered even here in Ireland.

Advertisement