Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Twin-Towns will come out on top ?..

• 28-06-2007 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

By nature the people of the Twin-Towns love a quiet way of life, where you know and care about neighbours. Modern life with T.V. the internet, mobile phones and pure greed has to a certain extent undermined this.

However, I believe we will never end up like Letterkenny, as we still have people who care about 'the quality of life' balanced with fair trading in the commercial sector.

I sincerely hope these people will use their influence to protect what was a wonderful place to grow up in.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

please elaborate more, i wont be fighting that Letterkenny still has a small town way of life, as it doesn't. and there are many areas i wouldn't walk through at night. but thats what happen with such an influx of people, it has negative effects as well as benefits.

will the twin town see more people moving there and working in letterkenny? i know of a few people who have bought in ballybofey but have no links to the town and work in Letterkenny.

is this good for the twin towns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

ctc_celtic wrote:
    please elaborate more, i wont be fighting that Letterkenny still has a small town way of life, as it doesn't. and there are many areas i wouldn't walk through at night. but thats what happen with such an influx of people, it has negative effects as well as benefits.

will the twin town see more people moving there and working in letterkenny? i know of a few people who have bought in ballybofey but have no links to the town and work in Letterkenny.

is this good for the twin towns?

The Twin-Towns is already a suburb of Letterkenny, if people want to live here and work in Letterkenny that is O.K.. The price of site's for housing in the T.T. already reflects the demand from the Letterkenny overflow, and that is already frightening young local's who want to live here as it is their native homeland where they may not be able to afford to live.

Maybe this could make an interesting seperate thread :confused: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paddy20 wrote:
    By nature the people of the Twin-Towns love a quiet way of life, where you know and care about neighbours. Modern life with T.V. the internet, mobile phones and pure greed has to a certain extent undermined this.

However, I believe we will never end up like Letterkenny, as we still have people who care about 'the quality of life' balanced with fair trading in the commercial sector.

Sounds like why people object to Tesco/Lidl etc. moving into the town / other towns ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I disagree with your viewpoint on Letterkenny there - I've never found it less than friendly, despite its expansion. People still, at a minimum, smile and nod at each other as they walk down the quieter roads, friendly banter is still thrown about, and very very rarely have I felt under threat in the town. I think on the whole, the growth's actually done it good, and certainly when I left in 2003, it was a much nicer place than when I arrived in 1994, and any visits since have never left it in anything other than a positive light.

I disagree with your viewpoint on Letterkenny there - I've never found it less than friendly, despite its expansion. People still, at a minimum, smile and nod at each other as they walk down the quieter roads, friendly banter is still thrown about, and very very rarely have I felt under threat in the town. I think on the whole, the growth's actually done it good, and certainly when I left in 2003, it was a much nicer place than when I arrived in 1994, and any visits since have never left it in anything other than a positive light.

O.K. so why, and what part of the cesspit called London are you now living in :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

All of London is a cesspit? Or is that just a generalisation?

byte wrote:
    All of London is a cesspit? Or is that just a generalisation?

In fairness, it is a generalisation, but my question was directed at Civilian_Target, simply to find out where in London he live's and why London ;) .

P.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

so why are the Twin-towns a better place to live, is there not areas with social problems just like Letterkenny?
    these areas maybe be smaller and fewer of them, but believe me that will change. This country is in a steady decline when it come to dug use, alcohol abuse, anti-social behavior and uncontrollable youth.
    These problems are in the Twin-Towns at the moment and will only continue to grow.

As for the friendly neighborhood's and people caring for each other, i agree that this is not as prevalent in Letterkenny as it once was, but most established housing areas still have a close-knit community, and i think that its only the newer estates that don't.
    but considering that so many of the houses in new estates are rentals, its not surprising that there is no community feeling.

i just think the phrase 'we'll never end up like Letterkenny' may come back to bite you in the ass;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

I am currently living in Letterkenny the town i was born, moved to Dublin and other parts of the world to pursue work, Letterkenny is as friendly to me as it has always been, anyone who was born here will know what i mean. i am glad Letterkenny is booming,so there is more traffic more houses big deal! so you might be stuck in traffic for a couple of minutes more, its still a small town. or do people here want to live in the dark ages and never see anything change in the town, i am proud that of what is happening in letterkenny , in the last few years i was only able to come back to letterkenny to get work,before i always found it hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I was in college in Letterkenny from about 98-00 and I have gone back there many times since.
    I have seen massive changes there over the past 8 or 9 years!
    Both in terms of Infastructure and the social aspect.

Truth is that people have changed a lot. In most cases they are a lot more aggressive. Alcohol fuels this!

Sad but true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Paddy20 wrote:
    By nature the people of the Twin-Towns love a quiet way of life

The twin towns, or at least Ballybofey, is well known to have a fighting spirit if you know what I mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The twin towns, or at least Ballybofey, is well known to have a fighting spirit if you know what I mean...
    Yes indeed - while we in the poorer half of the twin towns are known as the Stranorlar Saints ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Tried not to take the bait on this one, but I have to say something.

I would completely reject the sentiment your post puts forward.
    Paddy20 wrote:

I sincerely hope these people will use their influence to protect what was a wonderful place to grow up in.

I spend a lot of time around Ballybofey and Stranorlar, and it has the same issues as Letterkenny, only on a smaller level. Traffic is heavy through the town(s), there are problems with anti-social behaviour both on streets and in estates, we share the same infrastructural problems and we benefit from the same lifestyle.

Ballybofey and Stranorlar are doing fairly well, as is Letterkenny. I've just moved into a new housing estate (which will hold over 100 houses when finished) and I love it here. There is a great atmosphere, people look out for each other and I would consider my neighbours to be good friends. This is what is happening in estates around Letterkenny, in Ballybofey and Stranorlar, and in many (most) other towns around the county.

I love living in Letterkenny, and I'm really thankful that I'm able to live, get an education and work here.
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Modern life with T.V. the internet, mobile phones and pure greed has to a certain extent undermined this.
    This also doesn't make a lot of sense, particularly coming from someone like yourself Paddy who uses the Internet so frequently. I use email, Skype, IM, and my mobile to stay in touch with friends across the town, county, country and globe. It has kept me sociable; particularly as I work such random hours and am don't keep regular hours either at home or anywhere else, without advances in communication it would be much harder for me to stay in touch with people.

You'd hardly consider greed to be something new, and associated with "modern life" any more than any other period in our history?

Life in Donegal in 2007 is not without it's problems, but I can't imagine how it could be claimed to be worse than any period in recent Irish history.

Tried not to take the bait on this one, but I have to say something.

I would completely reject the sentiment your post puts forward.

I spend a lot of time around Ballybofey and Stranorlar, and it has the same issues as Letterkenny, only on a smaller level. Traffic is heavy through the town(s), there are problems with anti-social behaviour both on streets and in estates, we share the same infrastructural problems and we benefit from the same lifestyle.

Ballybofey and Stranorlar are doing fairly well, as is Letterkenny. I've just moved into a new housing estate (which will hold over 100 houses when finished) and I love it here. There is a great atmosphere, people look out for each other and I would consider my neighbours to be good friends. This is what is happening in estates around Letterkenny, in Ballybofey and Stranorlar, and in many (most) other towns around the county.

I love living in Letterkenny, and I'm really thankful that I'm able to live, get an education and work here.

This also doesn't make a lot of sense, particularly coming from someone like yourself Paddy who uses the Internet so frequently. I use email, Skype, IM, and my mobile to stay in touch with friends across the town, county, country and globe. It has kept me sociable; particularly as I work such random hours and am don't keep regular hours either at home or anywhere else, without advances in communication it would be much harder for me to stay in touch with people.

You'd hardly consider greed to be something new, and associated with "modern life" any more than any other period in our history?

Life in Donegal in 2007 is not without it's problems, but I can't imagine how it could be claimed to be worse than any period in recent Irish history.

O.K. Damien,

We all have our opinion's, I have already expressed mine, and you have expressed your's. Lets agree to differ.

Perhaps my age has something to do with my view, I will reconsider, but I do not think my view is likely to change ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Paddy20 wrote:
    O.K. Damien,

We all have our opinion's, I have already expressed mine, and you have expressed your's. Lets agree to differ.

Perhaps my age has something to do with my view, I will reconsider, but I do not think my view is likely to change ;) .

I can agree to that. I think you'll understand my desire to defend my fair home town :D

Advertisement