Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router (eircom netopia) takes long time to connect to BB

Options
  • 28-06-2007 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Just a general thing that I'm noticing more and more,

The standard wireless netopia router which we have seems to take ages to go online - at least 5 minutes, usually more - this to me seems a bit excessive, surely all it has to do is enable the wireless connection (which to be fair, it does fairly instantly) and connect to eircoms BB service.

It's just annoying that I'm sitting in front of the screen and the wireless connects ok (a few seconds after router startup) and I keep having to refresh the browser window etc. until the DSL is active. (also, we are very close to the exchange)

Are there any settings, I can change etc. that will speed up the routers startup sequence?

The router has to go off at night so leaving it on all night is not an option! :)

Thanks,
    V

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Velocitee wrote:
    Just a general thing that I'm noticing more and more,

The standard wireless netopia router which we have seems to take ages to go online - at least 5 minutes, usually more - this to me seems a bit excessive, surely all it has to do is enable the wireless connection (which to be fair, it does fairly instantly) and connect to eircoms BB service.

It's just annoying that I'm sitting in front of the screen and the wireless connects ok (a few seconds after router startup) and I keep having to refresh the browser window etc. until the DSL is active. (also, we are very close to the exchange)

Are there any settings, I can change etc. that will speed up the routers startup sequence?

The router has to go off at night so leaving it on all night is not an option! :)

Thanks,
    V

Are you absolutely sure that the problem is with the Netopia syncing with Eircom? Have you tried connecting the computer via ethernet to see how long the sync is actually taking? Are there ary other wireless networks being picked up by your wireless card that might be causing problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

dub45 wrote:
    Are you absolutely sure that the problem is with the Netopia syncing with Eircom? Have you tried connecting the computer via ethernet to see how long the sync is actually taking? Are there ary other wireless networks being picked up by your wireless card that might be causing problems?

Thanks for that, I'm fairly sure the problem is with the router's end of things - The computer picks up the wifi signal pretty quick ( and there are no other networks in range) It's just I get connection error for over 5 mins after it connects to the Wi-fi network as the DSL itself hasn't connected.

If you disregard a computer connecting to it altogether, the router has it's wifi light on in less then 30 seconds after startup, there are no other lights for a good 2-3 minutes, then the DSL light starts flashing and tries to connect to the Broadband, after another 30 seconds or so DSL is active.

Surely it doesnt take this long to start a router up??? Anyone else experiencing this kind of a start time with their eircom wireless netopia router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I don't have any idea why it would take so long to sync, when I had eircom broadband it always synced within a minute.
    Just a simple solution...Don't turn off your modem, Broadband is always on(except for the timed package, which I assume you dont have because they don't supply wireless modems for it) so there is no reason to turn off your modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

thanks for that dave, I knew they shouldn't take that long, I've no idea what's up with it starting from cold, must be settings or something.

Still though weird, I will still have to start it up in the morning though, wont be leaving it on all night, general concensus was money wise and enviromentally wise it was a bad idea to leave it on all night when it's not being used plus I dont like leaving on unnecessary electrical equipment at night from a safety POV :)

Anybody have magic settings to make the router start quicker?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Make sure that you have not blocked any of the grills/vents on it , it runs hot ( especially if you got the initial batch c sept or october last) and needs all of them clear for cooling .

• Advertisement
Advertisement