Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pint of Guinness in Louth

• 28-06-2007 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

So guys I’m looking for your opinions and views and where you think serves the best pint of Guinness in Louth. Now the pub itself doesn’t have to be state of the art affair or anything just has to serve a consistently good pint of Guinness at all times. Guinness as we all no its so different in some pubs and even though it should not be the case it is for me my local has never ever let me down and for that reason i am recommending the :

Avenue Inn
    Avenue rd
    Dundalk
    Louth
    (042)9334872

So again It's not about the best pub , its about the best pint.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

PJ O'Hares in Carlingford, superb!

The Lumpers is a close second. It's been a while since I had one there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Enda's in Ardee in pretty good but I don't be in there too often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Gleesons in West Street Drogheda, superb pint of Guinness in there , indeed i would recommend any pint in there, the drink is fabulous .never had a bad pint in the place .

God its making me thirsty now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Toales, Dundalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

sudzs wrote:
    Toales, Dundalk!

Bingo!

Top class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

andrew1977 wrote:
    Gleesons in West Street Drogheda, superb pint of Guinness in there , indeed i would recommend any pint in there, the drink is fabulous .never had a bad pint in the place .

God its making me thirsty now

X2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

sudzs wrote:
    Toales, Dundalk!

I was going to say toales , to be honest but thought the avenue just was slightly better.

Now the last time i had a pint of guinness in pedar mcardles it was amazing but again i dont be up that way often so cant really compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

I'd be a fan of toales myself, but havent sampled the guinness in the avenue to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

PJ O'Hares in Carlingford, superb!

The Lumpers is a close second. It's been a while since I had one there though.

Argh, I hate The Lumpers.

(so I don't go, so this impression may be inaccurate)

Pints aren't terrible, from what i remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭folkface

What exactly consists of the best pint?
    Thats like saying which shop sells the best can of coke :confused:

Now a days the Guinness Quality team visit Pubs fortnightly to clean the lines.
    Guinness also provide free pint glasses to all pubs.
    So for any Pub to have a good pint of Guinness they require 3 things.
    (1.) Clean Glasses.
    (2.) Dry Glasses.
    (3.) Pulled properly.

God i hate when people go on about which pub has the best pint?
    Its not 1980 anymore, every Pub should have the perfect pint.
    Its not as if their getting bad kegs of Guinness, or pouring slops back into the kegs and serving them. (which is an urban legend - cannot be gotten away with - i've seen it been tried, it comes out like tea)

• Advertisement

folkface wrote:
    What exactly consists of the best pint?
    Thats like saying which shop sells the best can of coke :confused:

Now a days the Guinness Quality team visit Pubs fortnightly to clean the lines.
    Guinness also provide free pint glasses to all pubs.

God i hate when people go on about which pub has the best pint?
    Its not 1980 anymore, every Pub should have the perfect pint.

"Every pub should have the perfect pint" - you don't seem to believe it yourself...

There are many many variants that affect the quality of your pint. Length of the lines, type of cooling system, type of gas, type of glass cleaner, type of detergent used to clean glasses, competent bar staff, frequency of line-cleaning (Guinness can't be relied on to call every 2 weeks to every pub), I'm sure that I'm still missing loads.....

"Every pub should have the perfect pint"
    by this statement i mean is it not quicker to list the pubs with a bad pint rather than list pubs that just sell good Guinness.
    Quality in Pubs is expected. So i don't see the point in listing the name of a pub just because it sells Guinness as its suppose to taste.

Just name and shame the pubs that don't.

Why should Guinness be a marketing tool to advertise good pubs. Lets face it your paying way over the odds for your pint of Guinness anyhow, Jesus i'd expect it to be a perfect pint if i'm going to pay @ E3.60 whereas i'm gauranteed perfect quality if i stay at home and have a can of Guinness draught at half the price.

So whats the point of this thread "if" it just turns into a long list of peoples local Pubs where they enjoy Guinness as its suppose to taste?
    Who's to benefit? OK - All we are learning are that these pubs sell Guinness as its suppose to taste.
    BUT - if you list Pubs that sell - slop in a glass and you end up sitting on the Jacks all the following day wondering why after only 4 pints you've got a dose of the sh1tes, this is what is really useful to the readers.

Thats whats wrong with Irish people nowadays - they are afraid to stand up and complain.

At least it can be a wake up call to the Publicans and let them know why people don't drink in their Pubs and that people demand perfection.

LOL.

Good post. You're welcome to start a thread "Worst pint of Guinness in Louth" this thread is intended to highlight the best and we are going way off topic. You also have the choice not to read it if it doesn't serve your purpose's.

Not every Irish person is afraid to complain.

Back on topic/

Had a lovely pint in the ClubHouse in Gyles Quay at the weekend :)

I bought a lovely can of Guinness in Tesco in Dundalk last weekend, not like the ones you get in Dunnes. ;)
    Also Statoil in Dundalk sell a lovely litre of Petrol, the car drives like a beaut. :D
    Don't even get me started about Premier dairies milk vs avonmore vs Tesco milk vs dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Anyone ever drink the aul Guinness from the can, not the draft stuff.

God, I got someone to get me a can from the Off License a while back and they came back with that. I thought, a sure it can't be that bad...Oh fcuk, it was rotten.

If you ever drink Guinness abroad it's rotten too. I got some in Seville there a year or two back and it was terrible.

Still after say 5 or 6, taste is no longer the priority.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

folkface wrote:
    I bought a lovely can of Guinness in Tesco in Dundalk last weekend, not like the ones you get in Dunnes. ;)
    Also Statoil in Dundalk sell a lovely litre of Petrol, the car drives like a beaut. :D
    Don't even get me started about Premier dairies milk vs avonmore vs Tesco milk vs dunnes.
    Less of the trolling folkface, this isn't after hours. Consider yourself warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Draught Guinness is served cool with the beer line run through a cooler to chill the liquid to the required temperature. Due to the foaming action of the nitrogen it can take a while for the beer to settle as it is poured, often requiring a pause. Guinness has made a virtue of this wait with advertising campaigns such as "good things come to those who wait" and "it takes 119.53 seconds to pour the perfect pint".

So every pub get this 100% right folkface ? I understand what you are saying that every pub in theory should have the exact same pint of guinness but the fact is they do not. Ever get a pint of guinness from a night club ?

Advertisement