Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell launch thin and light XPS m1330 in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 d_mc_a

Last Night, My Dell status changed from pre-production to production and this morning:

Your order is being prepared for shipment as of 21/08/2007

f@ck yea!!!https://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/custom/black/smilies/biggrin.gif
    :D

As of 8:20am, This has been dispatched. i've gotta admit, that was quicker than I expected. I might actually have mine before I start back in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey dave,

I ordered mine on 5/7 aswell and the delivery date is still 5/9. It's still in pre-producion.

Did you order the white-led screen or the standard screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

art wrote:
    You're just leaving one queue to go stand on another :confused:

True but this queue is shorter and can get similarly specced vostro for bout 500 cheaper...decided didnt need the portability as much but doubt i would have come to that decision if dell hadnt given me so many weeks to mull it over!!

Here's the spec of mine so you can compare it to your one. I'd say that your status will change very soon if the order dates are so alike. Keep an eye on it, once it starts production it will fly through the rest in less than an hour.

XPS M1330 CORE 2 DUO T7100 1.80GHz,800,2M
    No Biometric Fingerprint Reader
    13.3" WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife¿
    Tuxedo Black & 2.0 mega pixel Camera for CCFL Display
    Memory Dual-Channel 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATA
    Primary 9-cell 85WHr Li-Ion Battery
    128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card

I'm having it delivered to my workplace, does anyone know how long it should take if it is already with Interlink and is delivering from Limerick to Shannon. That's not exactly a massive journey.

I'm expecting a delay on the Interlink site in my delivery because there is a shortage of glass for the screens of the delivery van.

The only difference is I opted for the white-led screen and the bio-metric finger scanner (because it sounds kinda cool!!) which seemingly adds further delays.....cheers dell!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

My system is now being listed as being in Production.

Has this happened to everybody?
    I reckon its a cheap stunt to placate people :confused:

If its in production, It will jump pretty fast through all the other processes. I believe mine was in production for the last 3 weeks but it only changed from pre-production to production within the last 2 days. A half an hour after that, its
    status was dispatched. I still haven't got a tracking number form Interlink though and it has been dispatched since half 8 yesterday morning. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

d_mc_a wrote:
    If its in production, It will jump pretty fast through all the other processes. I believe mine was in production for the last 3 weeks but it only changed from pre-production to production within the last 2 days. A half an hour after that, its
    status was dispatched. I still haven't got a tracking number form Interlink though and it has been dispatched since half 8 yesterday morning. ..
    You won't get one. They don't provide tracking numbers for Interlink shipments.

It's finally arrived. It's looking nice too. I have it on charge now in work. I went with the 9-cell so the overhanging battery is a bit annoying but it's not to obtrusive. I'm pretty much going to be wiping this immediately to install FC and XP. I'll let ye know how it goes...

• Advertisement

d_mc_a wrote:
    It's finally arrived. It's looking nice too. I have it on charge now in work. I went with the 9-cell so the overhanging battery is a bit annoying but it's not to obtrusive. I'm pretty much going to be wiping this immediately to install FC and XP. I'll let ye know how it goes...

Lucky you:D

Let us know how FC install goes as thats my OS also.

Why XP instead of Vista for dual boot?

Rang Dell today...said my M1330 should arrive before it's due delivery date as they have started mass production. So I should get it just below the 2 month mark..woohoo!!

Kind of off-topic, but how long should u charge a 6-cell battery for?? Can u use the laptop while doing a first charge or are u better off charging the battery without turning the laptop on?

Well mine has just shipped, I should have the new toy for the weekend.

Hey mark,

When did you order yours?

Did you go for the white-led screen?

jamieh wrote:
    Hey mark,

When did you order yours?

Did you go for the white-led screen?

Ordered Black model on the 20th July.

Did not go for the white screen as there was a notice at the time saying that it could delay your order by 20 days.

I ordered mine on July 5th but I'm going for the white-led....disaster!!

Ok, I used the laptop for a good while last night. De-Delling it by removing all the crap they install. It comes with a 10gb recovery partition that is plenty of space for XP to be installed to. XP has a few driver issues, but hopefully they will soon get worked out. I doubt Dell has or ever will have XP drivers for this laptop. They also gave me the built-in biometric finger print scanner free of charge, by mistake i believe. The Media remote work very well with the vista media centre software. This screen is the best screen I have ever seen on a laptop. I use a Dell D630 everyday in work and the brightest setting on that is the darkest setting on the XPS 1330!!!. I'm going to resize the Vista partition after work today and install FC there to see what happens. The 8400 perform's very well too. I ran a few steam games on it and it ran flawlessy on full resolution at about 50fps. The vista rating is 4.0 but I don't trust that rating system anyway. I'll let ye know how FC goes later on today.

Oh, the built-in camera is very nice too. Dell have actually included some HANDY free software with it that let's you remotely view it.

The biometric scanner is in a bit of an annoying location and is really only usable from your right hand. Also, there is a bit of a quirk to this. In order for it to read your fingerprint successfully, you need to completely cover the scanner with your finger and slide it downwards. If you don't completely block light getting in to the scanner head, it will fail the scan. I hope this info is helpful to ppl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

You should probably update your signature! :)

The battery life is very good so far on this laptop. I'm getting a cool 4 hours at least but I'm expecting that to shorting over the next few weeks. Does anyone know is the 6-cell battery flush with the case? I might order one of these too as it might be handy to have a flush case/battery pack.

I'm tired of talking about dell for the past month in my sig so, I removed the usual Dell flaming sig and replaced it with a random question plucked from my "special" brain. Mine is white with red stripes that run parallel to the ground when in a standing position, BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Mine is denim blue with a gold thread through it and a questionable white bottom

Does anyone know is the 6-cell battery flush with the case?

Only the 9 cell suffers from this protrusion.

Hey all,

I'm still waiting on my M1330 (since July 5th).

It's due for delivery next wednesday (sept 5th)...and it's still in pre-production.

Do ye think the delivery date will be pushed back again or is there a chance it'll arrive next wednesday?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You Might get lucky and get it,but if you dont id say cancel your order,or threaten to cancel it,make em sweat :cool: :mad:

I rang them earlier and I got the impression that they nearly want people to cancel at this stage in order to clear the backlog :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I'm in a similar position. I was supposed to get mine last week but it's been pushed back to October. I've rang and emailed to complain, and will continue to do so.

It's such bad customer service. They are still taking orders and promising delivery in 6 weeks, but people who ordered weeks ago are still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I've cancelled my M1330 order originally due 18th July, now a seperate M1210 order's delivery date has been revised twice - what is going on with Dell?
    (and don't say it's some painting or LED/LCD crap)

Dell are getting a delivery of White-Led screens 2moro morning for anyone who's interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Oh my god, this is getting rediculous. I ordered my laptop on 16th of July thinking I would have it in time for going to college. I'm starting college next week and still not a sign of my laptop.

I thought ordering 9 weeks in advance would be time enough for dell to deliver it. This is really bad service. They also state on their website that they'll answer all emails within 24 hours. What a joke. I've emailed them a couple of times and never received any response from them.

Dell is an absolute JOKE, I wouldnt mind if they were apologetic but they arent. My delivery date is down for the 21st Sept, almost 2 weeks after i start college.

Anyone else feel like banging their head off a brick wall????

*sigh*:(

Hey,

Mine was dispatched this morning....ordered on July 5th.

So hopefully u'll have yours in the next week or 2!

After the long wait, this laptop was so worth it.

It is a fantastic Linux machine and I have absolutely everything from finger print reader to web cam working with the minimum of fuss.

Running 3d mark in Windows shows that the machine is certainly capable as a reasonable gaming machine also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is this not the one with the 8400GS? Pretty good for older games but for the latest games its definitely not a reasonable games machine....more like a wheezing, crippled old games machine. Newest games like Bioshock only run at low settings, Medal of Honor barely runs at all...

HavoK wrote:
    Is this not the one with the 8400GS? Pretty good for older games but for the latest games its definitely not a reasonable games machine....more like a wheezing, crippled old games machine. Newest games like Bioshock only run at low settings, Medal of Honor barely runs at all...

Fair enough, i'll take your word for it. I haven't played a pc game since HL2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's great for stuff like Half Life 2 though...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

jamieh,
    Did the site update with your tracking number? Wondering when your laptop will arrive, looks like mine was shipped :)
    Can't wait now.

koneko wrote:
    jamieh,
    Did the site update with your tracking number? Wondering when your laptop will arrive, looks like mine was shipped :)
    Can't wait now.

Hey man,

Ya the status updated to despatched. I just rang Interlank and u can use the order number as your tracking number....mine will be here between 12 and 2 today..happy days!!

Did you get the white-led screen? I think that's what held mine up for so long!! .....It's really taking "good things come to those who wait" to a whole new level!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yep, also got the LED screen.
    Will update on thread when it gets here, probably tomorrow (hope so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I hope the backlog for these things is clearing up? The website says otherwise. I'm going to put an order in for one of these soon enough but if someone could humour an idiot for a moment. I notice a big difference in price depending on if I go through the 'business' or 'home' links. 799 in business, the same specs for about a grand in 'home'? This is my first time so much as looking at dell :o I'm a little confused.

Hey all,

M1330 finally arrived today after exactly 2 months sitting, waiting, wishing!!

Haven't booted her up yet but on first impressions it looks the dogs danglee's!! :)

I opted for the black finish and it seems to paw print very easily!! Any ideas how to clean it!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Sandor wrote:
    I hope the backlog for these things is clearing up? The website says otherwise. I'm going to put an order in for one of these soon enough but if someone could humour an idiot for a moment. I notice a big difference in price depending on if I go through the 'business' or 'home' links. 799 in business, the same specs for about a grand in 'home'? This is my first time so much as looking at dell :o I'm a little confused.

Are you sure you've got the VAT+delivery added to the price in Business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Ah! that seems to be what it is. There's no price difference then? :p
    They're suddenly looking more expensive, but worth it I think. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

jamieh wrote:
    Hey all,

M1330 finally arrived today after exactly 2 months sitting, waiting, wishing!!

Haven't booted her up yet but on first impressions it looks the dogs danglee's!! :)

I opted for the black finish and it seems to paw print very easily!! Any ideas how to clean it!?
    What's the noise and heat like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

i cant get into the dell website today to check my order status. hope it arrives soon

Advertisement