Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb plant question

Options
  • 28-06-2007 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help on a rhubarb plant that's being eaten alive!

I planted it earlier in the year and it seemed to be coming along fine.

Now all of a sudden, the leaves look like they are being eaten by something. Lots of holes appearing in them. No brown patches, just holes. Some of the stalks are starting to die back as well now.

I put down some slug pellets around it but that did no good. I've also looked at the leaves at various times of the day but never see anything actually on them.

I've taken a look through some gardening books but couldn't find anything.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Go out in the middle of the night (well, as long as it's pitch black) with a strong torch and you should see what's attacking your plants .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Try message/reply 12 for some help for you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbgardening/F2759005?thread=4147984

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

mick_irl wrote:

I put down some slug pellets around it but that did no good.

9 times out of 10 this type of damage to rhubarb leaves is caused by slugs or snails.
    You see the pests are probably spending the day within the crown of the plant, slithering up the stalks at night to feast.
    So the slug pellets around the plant are of no use to stop the slugs who are already inside.
    As hobie said "Go out in the middle of the night", then you can pick the slugs off or spray them with a salt solution.

Advertisement