Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly qn?

Options
  • 28-06-2007 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

if i remote into my server in work and browse on the remote computer do i also use the data used browsing on my connection?

ie if i downloaded a 1mb file do i also use 1mb of data on the connection im using to connect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

I'm assuming you're using remote desktop, vnc, pcanywhere, etc. to connect to the server. All of these products only transmit a picture of the server desktop back to you, and your keystrokes, mouse moves, etc. back up to the server. If you download a file through a browser on the server, then only a picture of the download is showing on your local pc. The file itself does not come to your pc, it only comes to the server.

Now some of these products allow you to move files between your client machine and the server. In remote desktop, for example, when you make the connection initially you can choose to have your local drives available on the server. If you do that, and if while on the server you browse a local drive or copy a file between a local drive and a server drive then the file will be actually copied between the machines. Depending on network/file size etc. this can be painfully slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So like if you run torrents on a remote computer, it is its cap that gets used up. You only use up the specific files you copy from one PC to the other.

But if you are using VPN and your forget to untick "use remote gateway" (on by default), then a file download or torrents on your PC will use up Cap on both Internet connections. You should almost always untick
    "Use default gateway on remote network"

This *IS* hard to find
    1) Go VPN Properties (right click the VPN connection Icon, Start | Settings | Network Connections)
    2) Select (Highlight) Internet protocol (TCP/IP), but don't untick, and click properties
    3) On the new Internet protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, dialog click advanced
    4) On Advanced TCP/IP Settings untick Use default gateway on remote network

Click OK on all the dialogs...

If you are using VPN over the Internet you should always untick this unless you have no firewall and are using the firewall on the remote corporate network.
    You should have your own physical firewall. ADSL modems with WiFi always have them. Wireless and Cable broadband often need a separate Firewall/Router to add WiFi or have more than one PC. Prices start from €50. Even Argos has them (called cable routers, but they work on any Wireless system ethernet too, they don't have a Cable Modem in them).

Advertisement