Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to beat Dublin - 16/1 ?! What happens ?

Options
  • 28-06-2007 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm new to this thread but a funny thing happened to me yesterday.

I was in Boylesport just backing a few horses - when I spoted on the screen that Cork were 16/1 to beat Dublin in hurling this weekend !!

It was obviously a technical mistake at the bookies but one i couldn't turn down so I dished out everything i had in my pocket (a measley 22e) and put it on Cork !!

So if Cork win - will I get the payout or will Boylesport realise the error of their ways and refuse to pay ??

The guy I was living with was going on about some disclaimer or something but surely once they take a bet they must honour it ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

are you sure it wasnt the draw you backed? thats often written in the middle of the team names. EIther way I dont think you'll get that price

http://www.boylesports.com/betting/?sID=286.1&nIDMK=621565.1&fbf=cork+v+dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 god9

Trilla wrote:
    are you sure it wasnt the draw you backed? thats often written in the middle of the team names. EIther way I dont think you'll get that price

http://www.boylesports.com/betting/?sID=286.1&nIDMK=621565.1&fbf=cork+v+dublin

No - I'm positive - I've the docket here in front of me - they must have mixed up the odds for a few minutes in their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

god9 wrote:
    So if Cork win - will I get the payout or will Boylesport realise the error of their ways and refuse to pay ??

The guy I was living with was going on about some disclaimer or something but surely once they take a bet they must honour it ???

No, they don't have to honour it. Bookies have a 'palpable error' rule. This price is obviously incorrect so they won't pay.

There is no legal recourse either, as bets placed in bookies are not legally binding.

No, they don't have to honour it. Bookies have a 'palpable error' rule. This price is obviously incorrect so they won't pay.

There is no legal recourse either, as bets placed in bookies are not legally binding.

Fair enough - i thought this - but perhaps the person behind the counter won't realise the odds were wrong when (if!) I collect the winnings ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

god9 wrote:
    Fair enough - i thought this - but perhaps the person behind the counter won't realise the odds were wrong when (if!) I collect the winnings ??

By all means 'chance your arm' and see what happens. Nothing ventured as they say.

However, most branches of Boyles settle their bets using computer technology (it wont be just a case of the person behind the counter getting out their calculator and multiplying 22 x 17) and the software will probably flag it as an incorrect price.

But good luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Won't matter - person behind the counter paying you does not calculate your winnings. They scan your docket into the computer which tells them how much to pay you.

Likewise when you placed your bet they are under no obligation to check that the price you take is correct, they usually dont even look at it til they enter it into the computer. When they do this it will flash a warning that that odds are off and you will get what they actually are. This is pretty much the same as if you had not seen 16s and just wrote it on the docket anyway.

By all means 'chance your arm' and see what happens. Nothing ventured as they say.

However, most branches of Boyles settle their bets using computer technology (it wont be just a case of the person behind the counter getting out their calculator and multiplying 22 x 17) and the software will probably flag it as an incorrect price.

But good luck anyway.

Oh I thought they still use the old abacus method.....

Ah well........... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Enjoy your €0.80~ winnings ;) The system will settle the bet for the correct price, 1/25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Cos88

Bookies I work in have a "Blatant Error" sign up, saying bets will be settled at correct price when mistakes like this happen. We settle gaelic (and soccer, tennis etc...) bets manually though, and then tell the computer how much to pay out when docket is scanned. So there's a tiny chance whoever settles your docket won't notice the mistake, although I doubt it.

Very different for horses and dogs though. We type in the name of runner first, and then try enter a price if there's one on the docket. If it's wrong it'll tell ya "Price late by 1 min 3 secs" , "No shows for this runner when bet was taken" etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

16/1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

wyndham wrote:
    16/1 on

Surely the screen wouldve read 1/16 then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

My feeling is that generally any payout under 200 euro is not even glanced at.......

Boyles are riddled with error's on their website,.... its shocking !!

they allow doubles on events coupled with anteposts,..... their times are incorrect, so often their prices are wrong, forget to suspend markets, and many many more.

I remember the usa gp (F1) a few years back.......... when the Michelin runners refused to race on saftey grounds,.....
    right up until the race lights went out, they took 14/1 on a jordan driver finishing in the points, 16/1 on a Minardi to finish in the points,
    100/1 for monterio to finish on the podium,
    they also allow you to accumulate the odds on each driver in the points market.

the first lap of the race seen just 6 drivers take part (the 6 bridgestone drivers) ..... with podium for first 3 places and points for the first 8 places !!

couldnt believe my luck !! it was like finding a bag of cash in a hedge !!!!

we all split the money in our house,.... made a nice earner, the lot of us, even my Ma took them for a few tonne !!

Boyles were so far removed from the actual build-up to the race , they just reduced odds a little instead of totally suspending the markets.

then when they changed the qualifying format the next year(2 sessions), the Boyles team didnt even know the new rules,... offering stupid prices on the driver (alonso) who was on pole-position.

I remember the Boylesports greyhound derby,...... I watched it on tv and after the race finished,Boyles were still taking odds !!

They seem to have tightened up a lot lately,.. but its the sharpest minds that dominate,I dont know if they skimp on staff or have a heap of people who dont care but certainly needed to buck up or go bust. so anyway ...look for the markets that people bet on least - to find the true bargains.

You can usually profitably trade thier basketball prices on a daily occurance with betfair for example.

they used to be super generous with their prices,..... but now paddypower offer the best prices on all american sports. A tiny profit margin.

Let us know how you get on, did you get paid out or not?

Advertisement