Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV change of dial up number

Options
  • 28-06-2007 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just received this in the email:
    Dear UTVIP Customer

We at UTV Internet value your custom and are dedicated to providing you with a reliable and safe route to the Internet.

As part of ongoing reviews to products and services we have to make a few changes to your Internet dial-up setting. This is to improve your current service and will not affect your computer. To enable us to do this reliably and safely we require you to visit this website, http://u.tv/?utvipxl_sid=AF100A90F8 (you may need to turn on links at the top of this email to enable this or simply copy and paste it into the address bar of your browser program.

Then confirm your details and download the small program as instructed. Alternatively, click on the relevant link for your operating system and follow the instructions outlined.

This is only a minor change regarding the telephone number dialled to access the internet, it will not affect your account or billing in any way.

As this is a routine change there is no need to contact us but if there is anything you are unsure about please feel free to contact us as detailed below.

Tel 1890 9261111
    Email support@u.tv

Kind regards,
    UTVinternet Administration Team

All this does is apparently change the number to 1890 927 750, (which auto disconnects every 2 hours) from their 1893 number.

Why would they bother? Also disconnecting every 2 hours is a pain.

Anyone else receive this email?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Yep, I received it too......despite cancelling UTVipXL a month ago ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm guessing too many complaints from people that left their dial up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Is there any way of stopping it disconnecting every two hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

genie wrote:
    Is there any way of stopping it disconnecting every two hours?
    Probably a case of being booted off from the other end rather than a dialup setting on your pc.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Probably a case of being booted off from the other end rather than a dialup setting on your pc.

That is a pain. I have a very slow connection and quite often updates take well over two hours. :rolleyes:

Also, I wish UTV had a timer so you could actually see how long you've been online in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > Nets/Comms

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

I am very displeased and annoyed by this change. I work from home fairly often and a disconnect in the middle of stuff that I'm doing causes some things to completely re-set and I lose what I was doing.

I probably don't understand the economics involved, but it seems it would be to their advantage to have us staying online too long idle. Then we'd use up our 180 hours and they'd get to charge us after that. Actually happened to me once! Kinda expensive! (I got my old timer re-installed and haven't let that happen again!)

Or maybe they want to get rid of their dialup customers by making it unpleasant to be on UTVip XL. However, even though most powers that be seem to think that "everybody" can switch to broadband, there are still quite a few of us do not have a reasonable option to dialup.

My former good feelings about UTV have plummeted. I have the feeling I'll be Banished again (bad memories of 2001 Esat "Surf No Limits" banishing...)

No point in complaining to UTV. I've not had more than an auto-reply from them in the last 3-4 years when I've had a prob. Forget ringing them...

Banished-She

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have cancelled my UTVip XL account because of this. 3 broadband is cheaper and faster.

I am very displeased and annoyed by this change. I work from home fairly often and a disconnect in the middle of stuff that I'm doing causes some things to completely re-set and I lose what I was doing.

I probably don't understand the economics involved, but it seems it would be to their advantage to have us staying online too long idle. Then we'd use up our 180 hours and they'd get to charge us after that. Actually happened to me once! Kinda expensive! (I got my old timer re-installed and haven't let that happen again!)

Or maybe they want to get rid of their dialup customers by making it unpleasant to be on UTVip XL. However, even though most powers that be seem to think that "everybody" can switch to broadband, there are still quite a few of us do not have a reasonable option to dialup.

My former good feelings about UTV have plummeted. I have the feeling I'll be Banished again (bad memories of 2001 Esat "Surf No Limits" banishing...)

No point in complaining to UTV. I've not had more than an auto-reply from them in the last 3-4 years when I've had a prob. Forget ringing them...

Banished-She

I completely agree with you. I was trying to download a large Adobe update today and unless I babysit the download it disconnects as I discovered when I had to go to the loo. :rolleyes:

Is there anyone on here from UTV who can justify this change? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

genie wrote:
    I completely agree with you. I was trying to download a large Adobe update today and unless I babysit the download it disconnects as I discovered when I had to go to the loo. :rolleyes:

Is there anyone on here from UTV who can justify this change? :mad:
    I didn't get a reply to my email to them about it. It took them 4 days to acknowledge my cancellation request and the 30 day notice period dates from the date they wrote back and not the date I sent it. :mad:

Advertisement