Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Alpina D3 (BMW 320d) 197BHP!!

Options
  • 28-06-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Alpina have developed their first diesel tuned car from the factory.
    They've tuned up the 163 BHP 320d to 197BHP and still returns hi 40's MPG and around 160 CO2/km emissions

Sounds like a good car for Ireland, are they selling this car in Ireland?

Do you walk into your local BMW dealer and ask for an Alpina brochure?

Here’s a link to some articles and downloads, make sure to click on English on the top right hand corner first. (The "diesel do nicely" article shows some nice photos)
    http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/

img_exterieur01.jpg
    img_exterieur02.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

to be honest tuning 197bhp from a 2.0 derv and getting 40's mpg is nothing special, I would have expected more from Alpina :rolleyes:

VAG and Alfa diesel tuners have been doing this for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I agree with you that they've decided to focus on the smaller diesel engine car and not the 330d or 335d, as alpina are renowned for putting big engines into BMWs.

But this is more then just slaping a Tuning box under the bonnet, its an complete new Garrett Turbo, bigger intercoolers, Alpina-tuned suspension, and reprogrammed engine management.

This is more like a Stock tune up, but it’s only a matter of time before some other tuning company will have a tuning box for the Alpina.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

siralfalot wrote:
    to be honest tuning 197bhp from a 2.0 derv and getting 40's mpg is nothing special, I would have expected more from Alpina :rolleyes:

VAG and Alfa diesel tuners have been doing this for years

I didn't expect Alpina to tackle this end of the BMW range either. 200BHP from a 2.0 diesel is ok though, isn't it? Have either VAG or Alfa achieved this from a 2.0 4-pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Have either VAG or Alfa achieved this from a 2.0 4-pot?

Saab are launching a 187bhp tuned version of the 1.9 litre Fiat Multi-jet diesel engine in the facelifted 9-3 soon.

I think GM had a +200bhp tuned version of the same engine in an concept Astra VXR/OPC about 2 years ago afaik. Cannot find a link to it thoguh.

Edit:- Here it is: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/201219/astra_vxr_to_strike_oil.html

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Alpina have developed their first diesel tuned car from the factory.
    They've tuned up the 163 BHP 320d to 197BHP and still returns hi 40's MPG and around 160 CO2/km emissions

Sounds like a good car for Ireland, are they selling this car in Ireland?

Do you walk into your local BMW dealer and ask for an Alpina brochure?

Here’s a link to some articles and downloads, make sure to click on English on the top right hand corner first. (The "diesel do nicely" article shows some nice photos)
    http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/

img_exterieur01.jpg
    img_exterieur02.jpg
    Not sure if they are available via the dealer network here. Autocar mag are running one as their staff car this year and so far they have given it rave reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Savage looking thing. The deep dish rims really set it off ! Not to sure about the wing mirrors though. They seem a bit to big and out of place. At least they arnt them M3 mirrors. Ewww !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, BMW will shortly introduce a 200bhp twin-turbo 2.0 4 cylinder diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

itll still sound rubbish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Anan1 wrote:
    AFAIK, BMW will shortly introduce a 200bhp twin-turbo 2.0 4 cylinder diesel.
    Didn't know that.

after doing a search the 323d 204BHP is to be launched in Sept 07
    its going to be one of the fastest and cleanest diesels with CO2 emissions at 129CO2/km

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mc-BigE wrote:
    after doing a search the 323d 204BHP is to be launched in Sept 07
    its going to be one of the fastest and cleanest diesels with CO2 emissions at 129CO2/km

I would be very surprised if BMW are to sell such a car anywhere. They already have the 325d, which has a 197 bhp 3 litre straight 6 at the moment. The 323d would have more power for a start than the existing 325d. However, they are offering a 123d with the twin turbo 2 litre engine in September.

As for the Alpina D3, this car has been around for the best part of a year, so this is ancient news, I suppose next May we'll hear mention of the new Alpina B3, which was launched in April/May at some motorshow whose name escapes me at the moment. By the way, I mentioned this about 1-2 months ago (that BMW had a twin turbo paraffin stove in the pipeline):D

Speaking of 4 cylinder BMWs, we're going to have a 520i once again next year, this time its the 2 litre petrol currently found in the 320i Coupe and Cabrio, and the 120i.And theres a 635d on the way as well. Hopefully there will be a 635i with that twin turbo Petrol too. IMO there is a big gap in the 6 series range, just the 630i, and then a 650i with a big huge 4.8 V8, and lastly the M6. And a new 316i and 116i still with a 1.6, but with the same technology as the 2 litre petrol so its now got a massive 7 bhp extra, but naturally its(a lot) more economical.

And the entire BMW range for 2008 will boast the 'efficient Dynamics' technology, which boasts some remarkable results including a 4.8 V8 that can do 27.5 mpg(550i), a 4 pot diesel that can do 60.1 mpg(118d), only 5.6 mpg less than a Prius, and mere 1.3 mpg less than a Honda Ciovic IMA. Meanwhile sister company MINI will be boasting a 72.4 mpg Diesel MINI Cooper, and that is a better mpg than any Hybrid on sale. The next best is the Prius at 65.7.

Not forgetting the fact that a 3 litre PETROL 530i which is more economical than a Hybrid the 530i does 37.7 mpg(with an Auto box, the manual does 36.7 so either way its more economical) the GS450h does 35.8, for the record both have 6 pot engines, however whats really interesting is that the BMW has 272 net bhp, yet is also faster than this Hybrid, 0-60 in 6.3 for the BMW, 6.7 for the Hybrid(both hit 155 mph, and here go Lexus telling us that their GS has the power of a V8 with the fuel economy of a 4 pot, not only is it not as fast as a 6 pot, is less economical than a 6 pot too, and a petrol 6 pot at that), and incredibly thats in spite of the fact that the BMW has 69 fewer ponies under the bonnet than the Lexus, has no fancy bettery will all the supposed fuel saving capabilities, and half a litre less in engine size. I wont embarrass Lexus by telling them how much more economical a diesel 5 series. Now to be fair, BMWs are at the top end of the scale, a GS450h would be more economical than I think every other Petrol bar a BMW, but certainly thtere are plently of Diesels which are as economical or more economical than hthe Lexus(and of similar size/performance)

Nevertheless you'd have to ask why Hybrids get a VRT reduction(and a substansial one at that), when they can't even beat a rival Petrol in certain cases(though I completely accept that it is very unusual that this happens), let alone a diesel(which is more common). And there are plenty of other diesels which can match a Hybrid for mpg or come damm close, on the official EU figures, particularly BMWs, but plenty of other diesels can do it too.

Alpina don't sell cars in Ireland, you need to go to the UK to try and find one, which will be difficult, since Alpinas aren't exactly a car one sees everyday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement