Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spar Mile Challenge

• 28-06-2007 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Anybody taking part? Think I'll do mine down in Ringsend, seems like a pretty cool idea. Anybody else giving it a go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Yep! Doing mine in Santry Stadium :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Doing it in Dangan, Galway....
    On a sand track :-(
    The main track is being resurfaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Runner Man

Only living up in Dublin so was either Santry or Ringsend.
    Ah no way, sand track?? If you get injured, sue Spar for everything that they've got!;)
    You know of many doing it? I hope to come in somewhere down the middle of the rainbow!!:)

I doubt I'll get injured... but I'm not likely to break 5 mins on a sand track either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Runner Man wrote:
    Only living up in Dublin so was either Santry or Ringsend.
    Ah no way, sand track?? If you get injured, sue Spar for everything that they've got!;)
    You know of many doing it? I hope to come in somewhere down the middle of the rainbow!!:)

Lucan and Tallaght have one on, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FranklinK

Heard a bit about this alright. Anybody know where i'd get information about it? Thanks, Franklin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 alano

http://www.sparmilechallenge.com fo info.
    http://www.sparmilechallenge.com/where.php for a list of venues.

I will be there helping out at Irishtown. Should be a fun day!!

Just in case you don't know where Irishtown Stadium is, here you go:

http://www.crusadersac.org/maps_irishtown.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Thanks a lot guys, great to get all that information. Bit late in the day but I think I'm going to try and organise a charity to run for, sure we'll see how it goes. Are any of you fund raising? Thanks, FranklinK.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot guys, great to get all that information. Bit late in the day but I think I'm going to try and organise a charity to run for, sure we'll see how it goes. Are any of you fund raising? Thanks, FranklinK.

I am not fund raising, but more power to you for doing so.

I would say the main purpose of this event is to challenge yourself, to promote getting active, to promote athletics, to have some fun and a chance to fundraise for a charity if one would like to.

This event is not aimed at mass charity fundraising but fair play to any person who does some fundraising.

Read this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055096305
    and have a guess :-)
    FranklinK wrote:
    Are any of you fund raising?

Ha legend!! Don't think I'll be runnig for a chairty either, charity begins at home :D Really loking forward to it, havent ran it a few years so lookin to get back on the horse!! Are there many people ye know doing it? I can't see there being a huge number competing.....?:cool:

I don't know, there seems to be a fair amount of supportgoing around for it and a lot of coverage too, should be a great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Which track close to Dublin do people think is the the fastest?

Irishtown/Greystones - new surface, but no shelter if there are high winds
    Morton/Lucas - don't know much about these tracks
    Tallaght - sand
    Newbridge - ?

I suspect Morton is the one to go to if you're looking for a PB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Santry is probably the fastest but theres usually a wind on the home straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Some youtube motivation for anyone running at the weekend

Magic of the Mile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a91Yfo9wOK4&mode=related&search=

Coghlan's indoor record
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXGTfGB_wc&NR=1

This is class, especially the last race
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7A_QUlMbvY&mode=related&search=

Great inspiration!! Anybody see the Examiner this morning???? More inspiration, apparently Athletics Ireland are going to give anybody who runs a sub 4 minute mile €1,000!!!! Bit late for that type of inspriation for me now!!:rolleyes: Great coverage on this event whoever is doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Runner Man wrote:
    More inspiration, apparently Athletics Ireland are going to give anybody who runs a sub 4 minute mile €1,000!!!!

Yeah, I like this idea. It's the Irish Institute of Sport who are offering up the cash. There's an elite mile being run in Santry at 2pm with the likes of Liam Reale, Martin Fagan and Mark Christie taking part. Dunno about the others but I know Christie has gone sub-4 before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

A few aussies will be in Santry too. If an Irishman wins in a Morton Stadium record of 3.53.8 he'll get over €3,000 in total.

http://www.clonliffeharriers.com/

BIG BONUSES ON OFFER FOR FAST TIMES IN MORTON MILE
    Jun 30, 2007 [Noel Guiden]
    Clonliffe`s annual promotion of The Morton Mile continues with the 2007 version taking place as the centre piece of The Spar Mile Challenge in the stadium next Saturday July 7th at 2:00pm. The Spar Mile Challenge itself getting underway at 11:00am. Once again we are delighted to announce that Commercial Hygiene Services are the main sponsor of the Morton Mile. At present the confirmed starters leaves the race looking very much like an Ireland -v- Australia match. Lining up for the Aussies will be Lachlan Chisholm, Denis Roff and Brad Woods all top class runners with mile bests of well under the still magical 4 minutes. These will be well matched by Irish stars James Nolan (UCD), Joe Sweeney (DSD),Brian Maher (KCH) and our own Colm Rooney, with a 4:03 mile to his credit already this season and Clonliffe new boy Wesley Alkin who`ll be racing in the Black and Amber for the first time.

Invitations have issued to a number of other top class milers and we hope to confirm their participation towards race day.

Again there is a most generious prize structure in place: €1,200. for 1st, €600 for 2nd, €300 for 3rd, and €200 for 4th to 6th places. If the race winner wins in sub 4 he`ll earn a €500. bonus, if he wins in a new stadium record, currently held not as popular opinion believes by Herb Elliot, but by U.S.A.`s Steve Scott 3:53.8 from 1980, he`ll earn a bonus of €1,000.

If that`s not insentive enough Athletics Ireland are committed to paying a bonus of €1,000. to each and every Irishman who runs a sub 4 minute mile in Saturday`s race. Athletics Ireland have also indicated that a "substancial bonus" will be paid if a new Irish record is set. Saturday is in fact the 25th anniversary of Ray Flynn`s current Irish record of 3:49.77 set in the Dream Mile in Oslo on July 7th 1982, a race won by the aforementioned Steve Scott in 3:47.69.

It ought to be a great race, and while the prospects of an Irish record may be slim it would still be wonderful to see a few more Irishmen join the sub 4 minute mile club. Come along to the Morton Stadium, take in the Spar Mile Challenge and then watch Ireland`s, and Clonliffe`s best taken on the Aussies in The Morton Mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Clum wrote:
    There's an elite mile being run in Santry at 2pm with the likes of Liam Reale, Martin Fagan and Mark Christie taking part.

I should have said James Nolan, not Liam Reale above. Liam Reale and Mark Carroll are competing in the Mardyke today in a mile challenge which I think is related to the whole Spar mile challenge thing.

Anybody going to be at Morton Stadium on Saturday with a camcorder? I'll be in Achill so will miss the morton mile but if anybody could put it up on youtube that'd be cool.

Advertisement