Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental

Options
  • 28-06-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of renting a car this weekend to go up north. Just wondering if anybody else has done this? The companys a quoting €40 for the retail just wondering do they charge you more when you go to pick the car up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What's included for the €40 they are quoting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

depends what company it is - they all have different policies and additional products you can buy i.e. like buying extra mileage, insurance cover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

amage excess waiver 3.70 EUR per day. click here for details. 3.70 EUR
    cancellation waiver protection. click here for details. 1.14 EUR
    tick box to enter a promotional code. and unlimted milage is free

total payable 39.70 EUR

Thats whats included do I have to pay anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Cancel the extras - usually they're completely unnecessary but they seem to be included by default :rolleyes: .

DeepBlue wrote:
    Cancel the extras - usually they're completely unnecessary but they seem to be included by default :rolleyes: .
    No theres a little tick box beside each one. I am using holidayautos.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

what exactly are you asking? You've been quoted €40 to rent a car for a whole weekend? That seems awfully cheap. Plus you need to confirm you can drive the car up north as a lot of rental places do not allow that.

LundiMardi wrote:
    what exactly are you asking? You've been quoted €40 to rent a car for a whole weekend? That seems awfully cheap. Plus you need to confirm you can drive the car up north as a lot of rental places do not allow that.
    Its only €40 per pay. I am wondering if when I go to collect the car they try to get you to pay insurance and other things like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

I booked a car though holidayautos recently and the quote I received by email is exactly what I was charged. They did look for a refundable deposit of £450 or a payment of £15 on the day for any damage.

hawker wrote:
    I booked a car though holidayautos recently and the quote I received by email is exactly what I was charged. They did look for a refundable deposit of £450 or a payment of £15 on the day for any damage.
    So you just paid the £15?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I recently booked a car in cork (National Car rental) and when I turned up at the desk they wouldn't give it to me as they dont rent to Irish residents for insurance purposes.
    The girl gave it to us in the end coz the wifes such a good actor i.e. sob sob weekend ruined etc.

You might want to check this out if your a local renting locally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

jjbrien wrote:
    So you just paid the £15?

Nope, I paid the 450 refundable deposit. This was in Liverpool Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

RobAMerc wrote:
    they dont rent to Irish residents for insurance purposes.
    What kind of f**king stupid policy is that?

/adds National to sh1t list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

to be fair I have heard of folk hiring cars and coincidentaly "crashing" them into their friends car.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I rented last Tuesday from Enterprise. It was in East Midlands Airport, I had a meeting just outside Sheffield and it was the day after all the flooding.

The car hadn't been returned so they paid for a taxi for me to get to the meeting (an hours drive) and then delivered the car to the offices at the time they said they would, they also included the excess protection for free for the inconvenience. They cost less than the competition and were terrific when it had all gone mental with the weather etc. Recommend 100%.

They took a swipe of the visa card initially, copy of licence and passport and that was it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I returned a car with a mate to Argus rentals on Tuesday. My mates dad had rented the car and used his CC and put my friend down as a driver. Argus charged the CC with €70 which would be refunded on return of the car with a full tank of petrol.

On the day of the return he was with me (near Swords) and had rented the car from Terenure. So he rang to see if he could return the car at the airport. No probs as long as he paid a €25 relocation fee.

On returning the car they wanted the CC to do the refund of the €70. As it was my mates Dads card he didn't have the card. If there was an accident with the car they would have been able to charge the card without having it present but to refund it they needed the card present. :cool: My friend told him his Dad was on the southside and they'd go to the Terenure branch the next day. The guy behind the counter told him grand but he'd have to charge him an extra days rental so. They had the car back (with the €25 relocation fee) and were keeping the fuel surcharge for an extra day. For this service they wanted to charge a days rental.

It took 20 minutes of polite discussion to point out how stupid this was. It's not worth the hassle sometimes to go with the cheaper guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

The guy behind the counter told him grand but he'd have to charge him an extra days rental so. They had the car back (with the €25 relocation fee) and were keeping the fuel surcharge for an extra day.
    :rolleyes: unbelievable...these kind of monkeys behind counters really get on my wick...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DeepBlue wrote:
    How do you reckon it's not a good idea to go for Damage excess waiver and cancellation waiver protection, especially as they are so cheap?

On the basis that you hardly ever need them? Do you have insurance on your own car? Because you might need it or because you have to? :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement