Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx how many students are in DIT?

Options
  • 28-06-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

As the title says, any idea how many students are i DIT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

exactly 20000, there was 20001, but we shot that guy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Yep id say its in around the 20,000 mark. Appartently the biggest third level in the country.

Go team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

approx 18,000 making it 2nd largest. Of the 18,000 only half are full time undergrads.

Upon my weary search for info I found out that DIT has a student thats only 5 years old. Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

At the last official count there were about 21,500 students in DIT giving it the title of the largest 3rd level institute in the country. Of that the youngest is 5 as previously stated (part-time in music if I remember) and the oldest is 80 something!

Go DIT!

Of the 18,000 only half are full time undergrads.

im sure everywhere else in the country uses the same counting method.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Sorry, bit of background. What sparked my curiousity is someone on the UCD forum said DIT was the same size as UCD. I was surprised by this, because I thought UCD was much bigger. But it all makes sense in my head now why I thought that because UCD has 16,451 undergrads (out of a total of 24,472 2005/06 figures). I forgot about all the other programmes such as apprenticeships that an IT has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Sorry, bit of background. What sparked my curiousity is someone on the UCD forum said DIT was the same size as UCD. I was surprised by this, because I thought UCD was much bigger. But it all makes sense in my head now why I thought that because UCD has 16,451 undergrads (out of a total of 24,472 2005/06 figures). I forgot about all the other programmes such as apprenticeships that an IT has.

AFAIK, and i could be wrong, the apprenticeships are not actually administered by DIT, they are run and awarded by FAS. If someone is working towards an apprenticeship, while they may be in a DIT owned building and using DIT facilities, they are not strictly enrolled in DIT since they not studying a course run by DIT.
    Its also worth noting the Computer Science students in the Harbin Institute of Technology in China. The award they get is recognised and part awarded by DIT, since they spend the final two years of the course in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

strychnine wrote:
    AFAIK, and i could be wrong, the apprenticeships are not actually administered by DIT, they are run and awarded by FAS. If someone is working towards an apprenticeship, while they may be in a DIT owned building and using DIT facilities, they are not strictly enrolled in DIT since they not studying a course run by DIT.
    Its also worth noting the Computer Science students in the Harbin Institute of Technology in China. The award they get is recognised and part awarded by DIT, since they spend the final two years of the course in Ireland.

They are enrolled in DIT although strictly speaking you are correct - they should not be counted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Apprentices are enrolled in DIT and thus are students and should be counted. They have all the same rights and privilages as any other student within DIT, undergrad, post-grad, erasmus, part-time and so forth.

Advertisement