Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Vaccination Query

Options
  • 28-06-2007 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

My cats are due their yearly booster. I'm familiar with the standard 3 in 1, but in previous years, I've been advised to get a Leukemia shot with the regular vaccinations.
    I'm not one to scrimp on health, but initially i thought it was a one off safety measure as kittens. I'm being encouraged to get it again as the vet said "cats who spend time outdoors are susceptible". But it seems very expensive, and other family members with cats, who use a different vet, have never had it suggested, or heard of it.
    Has anyone else heard of this, how likely is it that a cat will "catch" leukemia?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

if your cats are outside cats then they have a chance of getting it. I think you would have to get them tested first to make sure they are negative to start off with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Feline Leukemia is caused by feline leukemia virus and the test takes a few seconds and it's worth getting the shot if they test negitave. There is a risk of tumours at the vaccination site, however, the risk is very small and it is prob better to have them vaccinated especially if they're going to be out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Shockin Stockin

Thanks for the replies. I've "googled" and it seems something that's worth getting alright.
    Better safe than sorry;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've lost 2 cats to leukemia over the years and now always get the shots

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement