Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds in attic

Options
  • 28-06-2007 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I have a problem that has progressively gotten worse. Bastard Birds are flying intop the attic in between the gutter and the soffit..

Anyone ever had this problem before or Kno any way of sorting it out ???

thanks for yur help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They must be getting in between the tiles and the roof. You could buy some chicken wire/fencing, ball it up a bit and stick it in the holes. Might be unsightly if you aren't neat but it should do the trick

250px-Chicken_wire.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

have a look and see EXACTLY where they're going into the attic..

Fill this area with a small bit of expanding foam (ensure adequate ventilation for the roof - don't fill in all the gaps) - this'll work and a very neat job once you use only a very small bit of foam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Fill the holes allright, but be sure all the chicks have gone first !

I remember years ago we got facia and soffit done at home, the guy just boarded up where the nest was, never cleared it out, that evening we could hear the chicks chirping away, not a nice feeling going up in the attic and removing them from the nest in the eves and erm............ rehousing them....ahmmm......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

De_man wrote:
    have a look and see EXACTLY where they're going into the attic..

Fill this area with a small bit of expanding foam (ensure adequate ventilation for the roof - don't fill in all the gaps) - this'll work and a very neat job once you use only a very small bit of foam

Yeah, as De_man says be careful with the foam, if you put too much in it'll push the tiles off the roof. I know a chap that filled in a gap between a H-iron and a wall. He put too much foam in and the whole wall bellied under the pressure of it drying. It's some tack so be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

oleras wrote:
    Fill the holes allright, but be sure all the chicks have gone first !

I agree. If there are young in the nest just wait til they leave. No point in evicting them if they are not ready to leave the nest. If you do they will most likely die. Once the young have left then block the access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement