Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello gets the boot.

• 28-06-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

Not really a shock, but there you go!

Capello was never suited for the job, he's too negative a coach for Madrid.

Getafe's Bernt Schuster rumoured to be next in line. I wonder how long he'll last?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hmm, deliver the title in madrid, and you get sacked.

What a stupid decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think it was more down to the style of football, particularly in the first half of the season, and his treatment of Backham, Ronaldo and Guti that led to the chop. He's too strong a character, and too tactically conservative for Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its still kinda crazy on principal though, they sack their last manager after winning the league, flounder around for a few years, bring in capello, win the league and then sack him again.

I wonder if he was planned as a scapegoat from the beginning, the toughguy to come in, clear out the older stars, bring in some youth, and then be fired for being so ruthless and for playing negative football (which to be fair they were always gonna get with Capello to a degree)

As for Guti, id say it'd be tough for any manager not to lose his head with him! Even besides his off-field attention seeking activities, he can be amazing on the pitch one week, and then brutal the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

unREAL(sorry), they didn't seem that negative to me, just as well Utd didn't take that approach sack the manager and win the league:rolleyes: . I think Wenger or Mourinho(hopefully both as joint managers, now that would be make great television) would make an excellent replacement.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nice payoff for him anyhow. Capello to Man City? Now that would be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

a lot of madrid fans won't be happy i reckon.

I wonder what odds you' get on Wenger deciding to head to Spain - i also wonder if Jose could be tempted away.

I reckon both managers would be great for madrid, but i don't think they'd be allwed to be all they can, if you know what i mean. Madrid need someone to take hold of the club and sort it out from the ground up; but as a club i don't think they'll ever give the manager the freedom to do so, as evidenced by Capello being sacked.

Considering he has been sacked, it has been a shocknig appointment in total. I don't think anyone would have though Madrid would win the title this season, let alone win the CL, so Capello did as well, if not better, then anyone would have expected. Madrid also played the football people expected them to play under Capello.

Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What self-respecting manager would join Real Madrid? They knew what they were gona get from Capello, they got it, and they fired him. Shocking stuff really.

It's all because he dared to suggest Raul should be dropped. It really is a joke of a club sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I thought they had lined up Berndt Schuster as a replacement. I heard he had stepped down from managing Getafe.

Talk about poacher turned gamekeeper! He was a handful as a player so it'd be interesting to see how he handles "difficult" players in the Real Squad. If he gets the job that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

PHB wrote:
    What self-respecting manager would join Real Madrid?

Exactly, the poison chalice of all managerial jobs.

Actually, Sven would probably take it, money grabbing loser!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Apparently Schuster signed a pre-contract agreement with Real at around January, when Capello had Real's season in the ****ter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Silly bastards...

He's had 2 seasons at Madris (96 and last year) and won the league on both occasions.

He inherited the rotten end of a galactico team on the way out. I think he did a good job. Idiots. Last guy they sacked after winning the league was del Bosque, and they won nothing for 4 years after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

This is a stupid piece of business on behalf of Real Madrid, let the speculation begin on the replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Shouldn't have any trouble getting a new job:
    Capello, who previously managed AC Milan and AS Roma in addition to Real and Juventus, maintained his record of winning a league title with every club he has managed.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6248514.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote:
    What self-respecting manager would join Real Madrid? They knew what they were gona get from Capello, they got it, and they fired him. Shocking stuff really.

It's all because he dared to suggest Raul should be dropped. It really is a joke of a club sometimes.

This is getting ridiculous. I agree with PHB :mad:

They wanted a guaranteed title win so they brought in the most successful manager in the world. They knew what he is, what his (hideous) style is, and I bet they knew they'd sack him.

Wenger ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

it really is a joke what goes on at real.i think they had the potential to win the CL if capello was given a few seasons.any manager who ends up there will only be a yes man for the president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Who would want to manage Real?? LOL think about it you get 3 years wages for one year, its like working triple time every day. You get the best players in the world bought for you (whether you want them or not). You have to play Raul so only get to pick 10 players (sorry Casialias too) 9 players.

Capello is possibly the best manager in the world, cant argue with that record. Would like to see him in england but unless it was top 4 i cant see his record continuing.

All english press reporting that it was over Beckham, Schuster signed that agremment before that all happened.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    It's all because he dared to suggest Raul should be dropped.
    Eh? Capello is probably Raul's biggest fan.

It's a ridiculous sacking though. The argument that Real didn't play exciting football under Capello was completely debunked in the remaining 12 games, after the team that had undergone a complete face lift this season finally gelled.

Typical Real Madrid though. Heynckes was sacked in 98 after winning the European Cup. The inspired replacements were Camacho (30 days), Hiddink (half a season), Toshack (not much longer), then by accident the caretaker, Del Bosque, who went on two win 2 La Ligas and 2 Champions Leagues in 4 seasons, only to be sacked.

So all in all, this is no surprise, and Real Madrid FC will go on as normal.

What is surprising is that Calderon can wield such power having rigged the elections last year (apparently) with re-elections on the horizon as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Eh, utterly STUPID decision. What's all this talk about Mourinho going to Madrid? If Capello was sacked for "Negative Football" even if it did win the league, then hiring Mourinho would surely be a step sideways?

Advertisement