Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What keyboard? Midi/USB/????

Options
  • 28-06-2007 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I am learning to use Logic Express on the Mac and to take full advantage I need a keyboard of some sort. I was guessing I needed a midi keyboard but I see M-Audio USB keyboards etc. Will a USB keyboard still use MIDI? Can some explain in simple terms? What recommendations do you have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

USB keyboards generally use the MIDI protocol, but they are connected to your computer via USB cables/ports rather than MIDI cables/ports. They are generally handier as they don't require your computer to have MIDI ports and the keyboard can usually be powered via the USB cable so you don't need an extra power supply.

So, in brief, a USB keyboard would probably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Well... Be careful. If you can Use midi do. USB is very handy and all but if you will notice if lets say your holding long chords for strongs (sustaining or whatever) you will get droupouts. USB doesnt perform aswell as midi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Also, apart from random dropouts you can get power problems if you have too many usb devices pulling power... If you use a laptop then be prepared to have the usb device using one port and not sharing via a hub.

Also... there are problems with USB latency (as is there is none) and this can cause problems with some VST software... even more so if you get a USB midi and audio device... be very wary! and dig around on user made forums for the product you are buying and not the manurfacturers site!

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Thanks. I think I'll go with a Midi one then. I have just purchased an Edirrol FA-101 which has midi in/out and my Audiophile 2496 has them too.

Any recommendations for a decent entry level or good secondhand buy in regards to the keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

i bought the oxygen 49 and its perfect. Its M-audio me thinks. Use it every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

sei046 wrote:
    i bought the oxygen 49 and its perfect. Its M-audio me thinks. Use it every day

Seconded. You should NOT have dropouts occuring with MIDI, if you do its probably due to registery clogging/lack of RAM or some other software/driver issue as opposed to USB issues (unless you're using a 3rd party interface, in which case the USB drivers themselves might be the issue). As regards the USB power issue, how hard is it to plug out your iPod/printer etc.. when you want to use the keyboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

jimi_t wrote:
    Seconded. You should NOT have dropouts occuring with MIDI, if you do its probably due to registery clogging/lack of RAM or some other software/driver issue as opposed to USB issues (unless you're using a 3rd party interface, in which case the USB drivers themselves might be the issue). As regards the USB power issue, how hard is it to plug out your iPod/printer etc.. when you want to use the keyboard?
    Agree that it shouldn't be hard on the power issue but if you're using a USB MIDI keyboard, USB soundcard and Hercules USB DJ mixer and you want to use them (on the road) with a laptop it's a bit of a problem.

Just out of interest, can you use, say, a powered 4 port USB hub for these and let them all draw their power from that would using a powered hub eliminate the issue (ie... one with a plug)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I'm getting an E-MU xboard 49 in a few days, I'll let you know what its like, from a complete novice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'm getting an E-MU xboard 49 in a few days, I'll let you know what its like, from a complete novice.
    I've been looking at one of these for a while now. It has the "latch" mode which is exactly what I need. I've an E-MU ESI2000 sampler which doesn't have a "latch" function so it'd be handy to be able to just set loops playing.

Report back with a full review! ;)

steveland? wrote:
    I've been looking at one of these for a while now. It has the "latch" mode which is exactly what I need. I've an E-MU ESI2000 sampler which doesn't have a "latch" function so it'd be handy to be able to just set loops playing.

Report back with a full review! ;)

Well I bought it but cant get a sound out of it as its not compatible with Vista. I should have researched it more before buying it. I tried downloading the drivers but still no joy, maybe I completely inexperienced, I've never had a synth before, I'm expecting to hear sound from my laptop speakers or headphones, am I clueless?

• Advertisement

Not sure if you're aware of this but the Xboard is a MIDI controller, not a synth. This means that it doesn't produce sound itself, it is used to provide control input for a hardware or software synth.

Forgive me if you're already aware of this. Are you using any sort of host software, eg Cubase, Reason, Ableton Live etc? Let us know what sort of setup/software you have and we'll let you know how to get started. Alternatively have a read of this post, paying particular attention to the Software section: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52568746&postcount=1

Sounds like a good purchase btw, in my experience EMU make decent stuff. You'll be able to get your hands on some free synth plugins easily enough then you'll have tons of fun :)

Thanks cornbb.

It comes with Ableton, which I have used a demo version of in the past. I use Sequel by Steinberg and I love it but I dont think that I can use both together.

If thats the case then it must be doing what its supposed to do, but I'm on steeper learning curve than I thought.

There are a few disks with it Proteus etc, I thought that I could control the patches from there on the xboard.

I'll read through that section, it looks helpful, thanks.

Try doing a search for free VST plugins. www.kvraudio.com is probably a good place to start. Ableton also comes with a few free synths so have a look at the tutorials there, they are quite good. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I have an M-Audio Oxygen 61 my self. Use it daily and find it very good and never any issues once with it since the 1st day I plugged that USB cable in. Works perfectly with all pieces of software I have tried without having to do much ( if any ) tampering with settings. Also has a nice range of controller-knobs. All packed in for a decent enough price.

Hj

Advertisement