Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dear Santa......

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 eob

Isn't it interesting though that the most interesting car in the Mercedes range as of this moment is a several decades old piece of military hardware? I'm talking, of course, of the barn storming G-Wagon.

Ok, you'd have to be insane to own one... but... it's sad really, when you glance back and see what they used to make. There's an old 2.3 190 Cosworth on Octane along with a classic stacklight convertible and it makes me very, very sad to see the 3-pointed star go downhill as quickly as it has.

Damn accountants.

Was chatting to a guy who was given a latest AMG CLK in exchange for his F360 at service time and the AMG was stupidly, stupidly fast but completely anodyne.

Can't really argue with the styling of the latest CLS AMG though! Makes the M5 look very dowdy (not difficult).

Out of the lot I'd probably have the stablemate of the car which started this thread though, the Maserati Quattroporte...

Rust warnings from Ned aside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

Whats the big deal with this like lads?? A v8 in an Alfa Romero??

Why would you? What can it do for you that a VW Golf TD( red i ) can't. Fintan has one and it goes as fast as a Ferrari ( red one ) that we once saw on the M50 before and I dont think I need to tell you about the looks or the exclusivity...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AndyT

Whats the big deal with this like lads?? A v8 in an Alfa Romero??

Why would you? What can it do for you that a VW Golf TD( red i ) can't. Fintan has one and it goes as fast as a Ferrari ( red one ) that we once saw on the M50 before and I dont think I need to tell you about the looks or the exclusivity...

Jesus, it's a sad day for Irish motoring.
    You lot profess to like cars yet scorn the prospect of a 400 brake Alfa on the basis of re-sale value and alleged un-reliability.

Oh, and that wasn't a Ferrari, freq modulated, probably a MR2 in disguise....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Er i reckon he is jokin mate

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

AndyT wrote:
    Oh, and that wasn't a Ferrari, freq modulated, probably a MR2 in disguise....

No it definitely wasnt an mr2, I dont think the TD (red i ) is as fast as one of them even on the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Just wait for the 169 ! ( and presumably the 169 GTA that will follow)

http://www.fiatfans.com/foto.asp?s=Nuova+Alfa+169
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anan1 wrote:
    Depends what you mean by old, ned. My mother bought a new FIAT Tipo TD in 1990, even after 160,000 miles the car didn't have any rust. Mercedes, on the other hand, rust from 1993 on.

And my neighbour across the road went through buckets of isopon to save his Tipo, his Tempra, and the few Pandas he had. Could never figure out why he continued to buy Fiat ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

eob wrote:
    Just to pop Neds 'I live in 1986' bubble, the only car to suffer from chronic rust in the last decade or so has been both Mazda Mx5's and Nissan Micras produced circa 1992-1995. It's been well documented.

I'd be well impressed if I could remember back that far. I think I was 8.
    eob wrote:
    I've personally seen a 1994 Nissan Micra brought back from the brink where the front cross member (Ned, that's a bit like a sweeping brush handle) had completely disolved, along with some of the rear suspension mounts.

Thanks for the body work lesson! I'd never have known ... but in other news, I've seen a fair few cars having been mangled by rust, and I've seen some stand the test of time. Your point is?

eob wrote:
    Fiats and, in particular, Peugeot's, seem to be astonishingly well rust protected. The Peugeot 205 suffered from this strange problem where the zinc coating (Ned, that's a bit like melted tin foil, they dip cars into this to prevent corrosion) seems to be missing from tiny 1c sized parts of the car at random, namely the inner wings.

Zinc Coating you say? I remember back in ninteen dickety two, when we wore onions on our belts as was the fashion at the time ... zzzzzzzz. Yes, we all know about Galvanising. Again, thanks for the elementary bodywork lesson.

Despite the jibes, and insults in your post, you've made some good points. You've made some terrible ones too, namely that modern cars per se don't have premature rust issues. I'll show you my appraisal books for the last 12 months any day of the week, and show you the vast selection of cars suffering from blisters under the paintwork about to pop, and reveal their iron-oxide glory. It's more common than you think.

Advertisement