Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

track rod ends

Options
  • 28-06-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

i went to get the car tracked yesterday and the tyre place told me i'd have to get the track rods freed by a mechanic.

luckily i was able to get it done straight away by a service centre in the same industrial estate. they heated the track rod ends to free them and they left the ends open, knowing I was driving 50 feet to the tyre centre and when i finally got it tracked, there was all kinds of rattling and clanging from under the front of the car.

I suppose this means they have knackered the track rod ends

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Sounds like they left something loose, Have it checked straight away. 2 things on a car you do not mess with is Brakes and Steering!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes its sounds like someone left the track rod end loose. I assume the guys doing the alignment could not open the track rod, and therefore could not adjust the lentgh of the rod.

The mechanic may have assumed that you were going to change the track rod end and loosened it both on the track rod AND at its connection to the hub.

Very dangerous !

I would only drive it to the nearest garage/mechanic immediately. Do not go anywhere else !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

surely not, there's only a couple of bolts- how could they leave some undone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Just take my advice and get it checked before you drive off in it !!

You said yourself its rattling and clanging, so its not healthy is it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

MercMad wrote:
    Just take my advice and get it checked before you drive off in it !!

You said yourself its rattling and clanging, so its not healthy is it !!!

exactly, do NOT drive it before getting it checked out

I left my last 156 into a tyre centre in mullingar to get the tracking done and fecked off for some coffee, I came back, collected the car and headed home. half way home the back end started to feel "loose" so I pulled over, they had loosened the rear lateral suspension arms on the passenger side and not re-tigntened them, a couple of hundred yards furthur on and the car would have been made bits of when the suspension collapsed

• Advertisement
Advertisement