Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader of the Greenparty

Options
  • 28-06-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Who is the current leader of the green party? Has Mr. Sargeant actually stepped down yet as promised? Anyone know who will replace him and when?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Trevor Sargent is currently acting leader of the Green Party

I think there will be an election come the Autumn

Patricia McKenna has expressed her desire to run for leadership, if she does it will be interesting as she is firmly against the Green Party's sham of a ''deal'' with Fianna Fáil.

I expect Gormley will run for leadership and I can't see any other Green TDs running against him. Dan Boyle may but only a small chance of that happening as he'll probably end up in the Seanad

I expect by the fall to see Gormley as Green Party leader and Mary White re-elected as Deputy leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

What will also be interesting is who replaces John Gormley as party Cathaoirleach. Mary White may go for that. It's much more influential than being deputy leader. Even if he is not elected leader, JG must step down as Cathaoirleach, since he is a senior minister, under GP rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Patricia McKenna hasn't got a hope. I don't think she should enter into yet another election that she will lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

.....as expected!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Gormley got 65% of a 60.2% turnout. Why did the 39.8% not vote, allowing for the fact that it was a postal vote? Perhaps they "abstained" due to indifference or on the other hand, in protest at the wranglings of the leadership.

It would be interesting to crunch some of the figures to compare the turnout at the vote in Dublin for or against entry into coalition. It's amazing what you can do with ststistics.;)

65% of 60.2% of 1287 total potential voters would give gormley 503 votes and his opponent 271.

The remainder (39.8%) who did not vote would be 513. If a large percentage of these abstainers were against Gormley's election then we see an interesting figure.

I wonder will this great green party go the way of the PDs?

Heinrich wrote:
    The remainder (39.8%) who did not vote would be 513. If a large percentage of these abstainers were against Gormley's election then we see an interesting figure.
    LoL.Have you the figures for the last leadership election? Because that would be a basic requirement to drive your analysis.What was the turnout like then?

Otherwise
    If this,if that,if the other.
    Doing that about a statistic of people who didn't vote is like asking what if the earth was square-do you think the tides would be different ?

In other words your analysis would be about as valuable as sand in a desert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

New members (under 6 months) couldn't vote. They've had 100 (I think) new members since the election so theres an explanation of 10% that didn't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well they made the right choice - McKenna is not leadership material even if she's not the headcase of old. She's kinda redundant now though, no seat in Ireland or Europe rejected as leader. Does she have a local seat?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mike65 wrote:
    Well they made the right choice - McKenna is not leadership material even if she's not the headcase of old. She's kinda redundant now though, no seat in Ireland or Europe rejected as leader. Does she have a local seat?

Mike.

No but she has a low centre of gravity so could probably give the impression of having a seat without much effort!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Tristrame wrote:
    LoL.Have you the figures for the last leadership election? Because that would be a basic requirement to drive your analysis.What was the turnout like then?
    As far as I know, Trevor Sargent was "elected" without contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

McKenna is the moaner of the Green Party and Irish politics, a very unpleasant woman.

Ibid wrote:
    As far as I know, Trevor Sargent was "elected" without contest.

No, Paul Gogarty stood against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

M&#250 wrote: »
    No, Paul Gogarty stood against him.
    I guess my statement still stands up to scrutiny :D.

Ibid wrote:
    I guess my statement still stands up to scrutiny :D.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

M&#250 wrote: »
    How so?
    He was being funny. Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

ateam wrote:
    McKenna is the moaner of the Green Party and Irish politics, a very unpleasant woman.
    was a great MEP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

H&#250 wrote: »
    was a great MEP though.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    If I had to name one massive waste of space in Europe, it would have been her.

EDIT: Just realised that that was probably sarcasm.

Advertisement