Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cruise control during test?

Options
  • 28-06-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    i recently bought a Honda Accord auto, with all the toys on it, including cruise control. Im a full licence holder, but was just wondering if there would be a reason why you couldn't use CC during a driving test.
    TBH, i dont use the CC very often, but do find it useful moreso in a speed limited area, or going thru' the roadworks on the M50 (i know you wont be going there during a test...) than cruising on the m-way.

I would imagine that there will be some stipulation that the car is 'not under full control of the driver' or something similar, but with the way cars of the future will have distance governing electronics (some hi-end Mercs already do), surely its just a matter of time.

any takers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

They are really fussy with what you do in those tests. apparently you are not even allowed to use 5th gear, or go faster than 45mph or something no matter what the speed limit. I wouldn't mess around. they will use any excuse to fail you/stop the test because they don't want more people on the roads

You don't really need to be in fifth when your pootling around town during the test,but you will be expected to use it if the tester takes out on a dual carriageway or something. You must obey the speed limit at all times during the test and the rest of your post is total nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

You are not allowed to use cruise control on your test. At least that is the advice I received from a driving test supervisor a few years ago. (I'm a driving instructor and my school car has cruise control.) He said cruise control was grouped with the various types of semi-automatics, and as such not allowed to be used on a normal "B" manual test.

Was going to go higher up the chain of command but never got around to it. Some day perhaps will drop a line to the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

towel401 wrote:
    They are really fussy with what you do in those tests. apparently you are not even allowed to use 5th gear, or go faster than 45mph or something no matter what the speed limit. I wouldn't mess around. they will use any excuse to fail you/stop the test because they don't want more people on the roads
    yeh they don't want more people out on the roads, funny how if you fail your test you're still allowed drive off? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cremo wrote:
    yeh they don't want more people out on the roads, funny how if you fail your test you're still allowed drive off? :confused:

It's not really that funny. How could it be any other way when you have to wait 9-12 months to sit a driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

towel401 wrote:

Bull****.

J_R wrote:
    Hi,

You are not allowed to use cruise control on your test. At least that is the advice I received from a driving test supervisor a few years ago. (I'm a driving instructor and my school car has cruise control.) He said cruise control was grouped with the various types of semi-automatics, and as such not allowed to be used on a normal "B" manual test.

The OP said he was driving an auto, so he'd only be able to do the auto test anyway.

By the way tc20, you are aware that if you pass your test in that car (even without using cruise control), that you'll be restricted to driving only automatic cars with your licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Lads,
    if you read my OP, you will see that i mention that i am a full licence holder. (since1990)
    I've been driving for 20years. I've driven both stick and autos, but the Honda i've just bought, is my first car with CC.

So far, J_R has given the only decent response to the original question

tc20 wrote:
    Lads,
    if you read my OP, you will see that i mention that i am a full licence holder. (since1990)

Well you don't need to do a driving test then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tc20 wrote:
    So far, J_R has given the only decent response to the original question
    I was going to respond but I lost the will to live after reading towel401's post! :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

towel401 wrote:

Well thats ****e anyway because my tester took me down on to the stretch of the N7 between Citywest and Newlands Cross and I was just under 100 kmh and in 5th gear with nary a murmur, or a 'oh you used top gear in the car, better fail you' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Would someone care to clarify this 5th gear thing? Don't use fifth gear at all during the test unless you're on a dual carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Duffman wrote:
    Would someone care to clarify this 5th gear thing? Don't use fifth gear at all during the test unless you're on a dual carriageway?

Don't worry too much about the gears. Most tests are conducted in towns, and under most circumstances in most towns in Ireland, you won't need to use 5th gear. If the test takes you to a road that calls for using it (such as a dual carriageway or suitable N road), then you may indeed need to use 5th. I'm sure there are some tests conducted in heavy traffic where you barely get to go higher than third. Drive in a manner suitable for the conditions and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Duffman wrote:

Use fifth gear if it's appropriate to use fifth gear, like any other gear in the car. You won't need it unless you are on a dual carriageway, and you may not need it then if traffic is heavy, but be aware that it may be required and contrary to what was stated above, you can use 5th gear during your test and pass, I'm living proof of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

you can use 5th gear during your test and pass, I'm living proof of that.

Me too, my test took me out the R162 from Navan 3 year ago used 5th for a while and sitting bang on the 80 kmph limit no problems.

Advertisement