Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake pads gone?

• 28-06-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

Have an Ovetto MBK bike. Started to get a scraping sound from my front brakes when I stop. Bike is just 3 years old - just 5,000 miles on it.

Does it sound like it is the brake pads gone?? Is it a big job to change them? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Sounds like the pads. Look at the caliper on the front of the bike. Between the gap under and slightly to the front of the caliper and the disk you'll see some metal shoes with the pads. If the metal touches the disc anywhere you've no more pad left. Easy to replace just whip off the caliper and push the pistons back if they're not dirty. If in doubt leave it to a pro. Don't drive without the pads as you'll destory the disc by scoring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bandit*baby

^^ i agree brakes are dodgey things to mess about with... if you don't know what you are doing leave to someone who does

Its only a five minute job to change them, but don't do it yourself if your not 100% sure how. The pads should only cost about €20 and a mechanic might charge you €10 to fit them. If you leave it too late the pads will wear through completely and the pistons make s*** of your brake disk which would be a LOT more expensive to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Thanks. Sounds like I will pop in and get someone to replace. I would be willing to have a go - but with brakes I would rather spend the extra 10 just to be sure!

Advertisement