Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity workers on the street

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Had a guy approach me even with my headphones on! I was disgusted! I didn't spend money on headphones to have people talk to me :(

That said, he was nice when I said No Thanks, but me and my friend were rushing for a bus when a guy tried to catch us. We said sorry, we're in a rush, and kept going (not running though). He yelled 'Yeah, I can see that from the way you're f*cking strolling along there!! What an absolute asshole. I have worked selling stuff (not scratchcards) and it is really horrible work, but if you're going to do it you have to be aware that 90% of people will despise you for it, and not act the twat when people ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I was on the phone and one asked me to hang it up, I'm still shocked at that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sueme wrote:
    Walking through O'Connell Street in Sligo an hour ago.

It's the worst for things like that now it's been pedestrianised(sp?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Blush_01 wrote:
    Here we go again... well done on bringing this back up Duggy!

It's a **** job. The only ones who earn commission, as far as I know, are ticket sellers. Clipboarders don't. There's a huge turnover in staff. Now, before anyone starts sh!t!ing on about how they're horrific people for taking money from the charity, charities earn a profit from it. If you think charities are run completely voluntarily, you're barking. It's a source of income charities otherwise wouldn't have, and (with the standing order thingy) it allows charities to borrow based on projected earnings, which bucket collections don't allow you to.

There's nothing you could pay me to make me do that job. There's no way it could be done on a voluntary basis, because you wouldn't get enough people to give up their entire working lives to collect money for charity, and the constant changing of staff if it was done on an hour by hour basis would mean more time spent debriefing than actually working for the charity. In addition, you'd need a group of people who would commit to the same hours every week, regardless of illness/other commitments, in order to keep it going.

Whatev.

So?? doesn't mean people like giving money to charity if the person that signs them up is making money off it like its a sale of a product.

If people don't like then they are entitled to not give money. Also its an annoying thing for charities to do. There are plenty of other ways to ask people for money that are much more appropriate/polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

"Excuse me sir can I have a moment of your time ?"

"You just did !" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

I did stop for one once and signed up (the charity was a decent one), but once I did that I reckon my work is done! Since then I would say "it's cool, I donate to ye already"....I thought this was fair enough, until one muppet started asking me for proof!!!

So now my tactics for dodging these suckers normally consists of one of the following:

Headphones on and stare at the ground.
    Headphones on and when they approach me start "singing" like a total lunatic.
    Speak in tongues e.g."Squibbly-bibbly-bobbly-boo" and keep walking.
    Leg it!

Advertisement