Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral/Stray Cats - Trapping

Options
  • 28-06-2007 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

The apartment and townhouse complex in which I live is experiencing a real increase in the feral/stray cat population. I've been onto the DSPCA to find out what can be done about this colony as all of them are in poor condition overall. I've been told they don't have the resources to trap them, but that they'll euthanise them if they can be trapped and brought to them, or a vet.

Now I'm not looking to debate the pro's and con's of all of this - The simple fact is that these cats are uncared for, in poor health, and most importantly there's nothing in place that will improve their condition etc. Slow painful deaths and constant hunger are what these cats face - And that's not something I'd like for any animal.

So, being realistic and practical about all of this, I need to see about humanely trapping these animals so the SPCA can take care of things the way they see fit. Now before anyone starts - I have a cat myself, so I'm not taking this lightly as I'm very fond of these animals in all honesty, so please, don't start on me..... :o

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable trapping cage that I can borrow or rent? It's a nasty business, but if it's not done, the suffering will just go on and on and on.....

Edit: While I'm at it - Get your pets 'fixed'. This is all because of some selfish carry on in the past....

Thanks,

Gil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Contact kittenadoption.ie Jan may be able to help you - although they recently trapped & euthanised a colony of 60 cats :( she will be able to offer advice etc.

Good luck & I know its a horrid thing to contemplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Gil- although it isn't a nice thought about putting so many cats to sleep, it is their best interests in the long run that you have in mind. Unfortunately a mixture between people abandoning their cats and not neutering them is the reason it has to be done in the end. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I seem to remember seeing on the telly a while back that in these cases it's preferable to trap, neuter and re-release at least some of the feral cat population than to completely eliminate it. the theory was that if you eliminate them completely then all that happens is that at some time in the future another new colony will move in on what it sees as undisputed territory and it all starts over again, whereas if you keep some of the colony alive, but unable to breed then at least they'll keep any newcomers at bay, for a while anyway. I think this was somewhere in the US, California or the like. Not sure how much sense it makes, but that was what they did there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The sad thing is Alun lots of these cats will have nasty illnesses & disease so its not often advisable to trap neuture & release - also the cost involved has to be considered. Not many rescues can afford to neuter that many cats :(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

At least if they are trapped and pts quickly and with care its better then them suffering through another winter and producing more kittens into the same situation.

St. Francis Clinic in Inchicore has about 10 traps some of them are out at present but if you contact them normally lend them out but you may have to pay a deposit and you would have to return them personally to them

• Advertisement
Advertisement