Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs & microchips???

Options
  • 28-06-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at getting a dog for the last while, and will more than likely do so by the end of the summer.

I've pretty much decieded to get a cavilier king charles spaniel for a number of reasons- they seem to have a very docile nature and I can't remember ever meeting one that didn't like a good rub, I also have a small garden.

At lot of the add's I have seen mention "microchipped", obviously it mean's that the dog has some sort of chip, but whats the point of the chip?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of where to purchase one? I'm based in North county Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The chip is normally small enough to be injected and has a identification number associated with it so that it can be scanned if the dog gets lost, then it will be easy to track down the owner. Normally injected deep under the skin and will stay there without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yep, its about the size of a grain of rice, and your vet can organise it for you. Occasionally, you hear about animal welfare groups doing chipping days, where they'll do it for a tenner. There was one in Superquinn in Dublin South not so long ago.
    http://www.dspca.ie/prevent_cruelty_to_animals.php?number=99&sectionnumber=9
    http://madcraic.com/2007/01/18/get-your-dog-chipped-dspca-for-e5/

Anyway, its highly recommended since if your dog ever goes missing, he won't be pts accidently ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A microchip is a requirement for registration with the Irish Kennel Club.
    So I suppose a reputable breeder that has everything in order will have it done.

On a side note our pup who came from Fermanagh was registered with the (British) Kennel Club,where microchip is not required, so in order to reg. her here we had to get it done...45 quid !...not to mention £28 sterling to change owner and copy of pedigree from KC....join IKC as associate member €10.....register dog €20...........:eek:

581830807_e67bd3b3d5.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

The majority of pure breds are registered through the IKC so most breeders will have their pups registered and microchipped. If you are looking for a reputable local breeder contact the IKC for a list of breeders. If not, keep an eye out in newspapers for non registered pups.
    The microchip at least means the pup will be traceable. It's placed between the neck and shoulder blades. Hope this helps - I know some of this info is repeated - sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

DSPCA provide a micro-chipping service and offer a 24-hour phone response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The point of the chip is that your dog can be returned to you if he gets lost - more or less anywhere in the world. If the chip's scanned, it comes up with your name, address and phone number.

Mind you, last time I heard, one of the pounds in Dublin refused to scan animals - the union objected because the staff "hadn't been trained to use the scanner". Made me want to train it up their...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Congratulations on a smart choice of dog :)
    My Ruby is chipped.
    dsc_4326.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

we have two mutts and both are chipped its piece of mind that if they do get out and loose their collars or their i.d. tags that there is a chance we may get them back, and some chance is better then none. They are not pedigrees but loved just as much

Advertisement