Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can they do now!?

• 28-06-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

Right with wrestling in pure crap at the moment, what can they do to take peoples minds off benoit and everything else!?

I feel that they need someone big to return,fast!
    Not mysterion for obvious reasons, HHH hasnt been gone long enough,some free agent,Jesus, even Luger might not be a bad thing!
    Or,I feel that if someone like Matt hardy got a huge push it might give fans something else to talk about!?
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I think Matt is a bad idea to push, SD is already in the shi*tter already without having him lead the fold. Luger is god bloody awful at this stage in his career. HHH has been out nearly 7 months and would be welcome back in my eyes.

Jericho would be a good return but given the recent Benoit news, he may not be in the right frame of mind for it. Rock would be a great return, but again, he's hell bent on not wanting to go back to wrestling and persist with that acting career that is going nowhere fast.

I really don't know, but the writers better come up with something tasteful, i know it's not their strong point though.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Jesus, even Luger might not be a bad thing!

Let those words never be spoken in here again lol To be honest i dont think the loss of Benoit will change much of Vince McMahon's current vision of WWE, its obvious since he lost the belt that Vince did not see him as a champion who can carry the strap. He has been buried in smackdown obscurity for what seems like forever, even top notch matches with Regal changed nothing in his standing.

Dont know what you mean when you say not mysterio for obvious reasons but i think him coming back would bring a feel good factor back to events, whether you like him or not. Its quite strange, i look at the state of the 2 promotions and its almost the complete opposite for both of them. TNA have far too many main eventers, therefore ego's, and WWE dont have enough, while still retaining lot's of ego's

I would love nothing more than to see Jericho back in WWE, and as unlikely as it seems, Lesnar would be an asbolute star if he returned, i feel we never will get to see all his talent inside the ring.

Yea bring back Luger, the press would NEVER start harping on about the Miss Elizabeth death that he was involved in would they.....:rolleyes:

The Rock, Brock, Austin, Jericho.....NONE of these I see happenin

Yea bring back Luger, the press would NEVER start harping on about the Miss Elizabeth death that he was involved in would they.....:rolleyes:

The Rock, Brock, Austin, Jericho.....NONE of these I see happenin

Heh please tell me you're paraphrasing the Sun article about Benoit giving his kid steroids ;)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think Matt is a bad idea to push, SD is already in the shi*tter already without having him lead the fold.

You may not like Matt, but he's way over with the fans. Even when he was being buried after his return, he still got some of the biggest pops on the show. A push for Matt would be something the majority of WWE fans would love. He had two great matches in the last two weeks with Regal and Finlay and it seems as though he's on the up. My only concern is that there's reports going around that he'll be pushed as a guy who the fans love but who never wins against the top guys. That'll turn the fans on him eventually, which is pointless

Mysterio will have a great feud with Edge before the end of the year I'd imagine. They're the only two guys from the "Smackdown Six" who've never really wrestled each other, and I'd love to see it

WWE aren't in any major trouble though, I don't think they need to do anything drastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Luger is god bloody awful at this stage in his career.

Only at this stage? ;)

Mysterio is the obvious one at the moment to return, among contracted guys. I would like to see the Rock back maybe for SummerSlam, although if he does return it should be for a program with Michaels.

I can't see why Jericho's return would be halted. Obviously they were friends, but I bet we'll see Chavo back so why not Jericho?

They could try a "who tried to kill Vince?" angle, but really, anything with the word kill involved will be in bad taste.

What they should do, and what I've been saying all along, is keep story lines to a minimum and let the wrestling do the talking. ECW this week was great, two decent length matches and **** all else.

Anyone else think they might put Finlay on ECW? They definitely need an experienced guy there to nurture the young guys. Since there is one dream match of mine we'll never get to see, Punk vs Finlay would more than make up for it.

Fozzy wrote:
    You may not like Matt, but he's way over with the fans. Even when he was being buried after his return, he still got some of the biggest pops on the show. A push for Matt would be something the majority of WWE fans would love. He had two great matches in the last two weeks with Regal and Finlay and it seems as though he's on the up. My only concern is that there's reports going around that he'll be pushed as a guy who the fans love but who never wins against the top guys. That'll turn the fans on him eventually, which is pointless

Mattitude isn't as over as you make him out to be Foz, Jeff went missing for three years and came back and still is way more over Matt. Matt might be a better ground worker, but Jeff is still a great high flyer, and we don't have enough of those in the upper card. Jeff when he's not acting the idiot is actually a great worker and has really stepped up his game over the last few months. The only bad match he really had was against Carlito at Cyber Sunday, and Carlito isn't exactly great shakes either.

The fans would love a Matt push but what the hell would it do for the business? He's not exactly your convincing main eventer. And before people start screaming Shawn, by the time Shawn was thrown into the main events, he was great on the stick and could easily hold his own. He had broken out of the tag ranks 3 years and was carrying the WWE on 2 legs when beloved Bret went on hiatus after Mania 12. Matt has been gone from the Hardyz (initially) since 2002 and has bugger all to show for it. And people want this guy pushed?

Sorry, but i just don't understand that.
    VR!

Double C wrote:
    Only at this stage? ;)

To Lugers credit he was actually good in his Crockett days. He learned a lot from that Horsemen angle. From 87-91 he worked quite hard, looked well and actually put on some decent matches with the likes of Sting and Ricky Steamboat.

Sadly by the time WWE got him, he mangled himself in a motorcycle accident and was never the same again.

VR!

The fans would love a Matt push but what the hell would it do for the business?

Who do you see as being a better option for a feud with Edge? Mysterio will happen at some stage, Finlay would be great too if they did it, Kane and Flair might get a shot but it's not something I'd really like to see. Matt makes sense and he's a much better option than almost anyone else

Heh please tell me you're paraphrasing the Sun article about Benoit giving his kid steroids ;)

VR!
    No. When ME died in Lugers house they searched his house and found roids and painkillers. Not the kind of things u want ur new poster boy wrapped up in now is it? Even if it was a few years ago, the media are all over this and what the E needs is a cleaner poster boy.

• Advertisement

I agree with Fozzy about Hardy. There is literally no one else on the roster to feud with Edge right now, unless they push that 300 guy (whats the story there?). THIS IS SMACKDOWN!!!!!!!!

The rumour about Hardy being over and not beating the main guys has been in effect for 3 years. They can do a Benoit-esque deal where they say he can't win the big one, but then he wins at a big show. He's very good in the ring but his promos stink, but when has that stopped anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

One of the reasons i think Matt hasnt been pushed greatly is because he is basically the same character as his full time tag team days, Edge has tweaked and expanded his character since his tag team days and he's world champion. Matt isnt great on promos but is very solid in ring, although the flipside of that is Batista isnt good on promo's...........and isnt very good in ring either, only reason he's main event is because of his mega pumped look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fozzy wrote:
    Mysterio will have a great feud with Edge before the end of the year I'd imagine. They're the only two guys from the "Smackdown Six" who've never really wrestled each other, and I'd love to see it

Edge is scheduled to feud with the Undertaker upon his return- which is likely to be towards the end of this year. Vince will go all out to get Jericho back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To Lugers credit he was actually good in his Crockett days. He learned a lot from that Horsemen angle. From 87-91 he worked quite hard, looked well and actually put on some decent matches with the likes of Sting and Ricky Steamboat.

Sadly by the time WWE got him, he mangled himself in a motorcycle accident and was never the same again.

VR!

My abiding memory of Luger is his match against Bruiser Brody where he bolted out of the cage:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Double C wrote:
    They could try a "who tried to kill Vince?" angle, but really, anything with the word kill involved will be in bad taste.
    Surely we've seen the last of the Vince McMahon death angle after everything that's happened in the last week.

No. When ME died in Lugers house they searched his house and found roids and painkillers. Not the kind of things u want ur new poster boy wrapped up in now is it? Even if it was a few years ago, the media are all over this and what the E needs is a cleaner poster boy.

Yeah but he wasn't involved with her death, he was cleared of all the charges. She took a load of pills to kill a headache at dinner earlier, went to sleep and never woke up.

So he was busted with pills. They kept RVD on the payroll for another year after he was busted, whats your point? :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I would love to see umaga or orton with a long wwe title reign.They are in my opinion the most deserving.:) that would boost some f'n ratings.I guess it all depends on how long cena is gone for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

I would love to see umaga or orton with a long wwe title reign.They are in my opinion the most deserving.:) that would boost some f'n ratings.I guess it all depends on how long cena is gone for.

Leave now!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

littlejp wrote:
    Surely we've seen the last of the Vince McMahon death angle after everything that's happened in the last week.

who knows maybe a who tried to kill storyline may come about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I would love to see umaga or orton with a long wwe title reign
    maby ortan, but umaga :eek:. His promos arn't the best!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Whatever about Smackdown ECW seriously needs a marquee name face to keep going. Either that or CM Punk is seriously gonna have to step up to the plate. Is he ready yet though? Can he carry a show?

Yeah but he wasn't involved with her death, he was cleared of all the charges. She took a load of pills to kill a headache at dinner earlier, went to sleep and never woke up.

So he was busted with pills. They kept RVD on the payroll for another year after he was busted, whats your point? :)

VR!
    My point is pretty ****in obvious. They dont need anyone in the limelight at the moment who has any sort of history, accused or otherwise,with substance abuse or wrestling deaths.

My point is pretty ****in obvious. They dont need anyone in the limelight at the moment who has any sort of history, accused or otherwise,with substance abuse or wrestling deaths.

By your logic then they should fire Randy Orton, Edge, Shane Helms and Sabu and Jimmy Snuka then?

VR!

By your logic then they should fire Randy Orton, Edge, Shane Helms and Sabu and Jimmy Snuka then?

VR!
    Were Edge, Orton etc etc involved in the deaths of people in the wrestling business related to substance abuse? Granted Luger was cleared but the media dont really care and would report about his being there, the roids found in his home etc. Not what the E needs right now.

Quit tryin to be a smartas and look at the bigger picture. The media are all over the E now. And as recent days have shown (with accusations of 3 day long fits of roid rage) they dont care too much for facts as much as they do a story.....picture the headlines from some numbnuts reporter with nothing better to do...... "WWE today announced the signed of pro wrestler Lex Luger, known for his part in the death of Miss Elizabeth who dies of a painkiller overdose. Whilst cleared of any wrongdoing, Luger was found to be in possession of steroids at the time and this is another example of the WWE's reluctance to combat the growing steroid problem it is faced with"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Neil1984, your exact quote was

"accused or otherwise,with substance abuse or wrestling deaths"

And from my reading, Randy Orton, Edge, Shane Helms and Sabu and Jimmy Snuka and plenty of others currently and formerly active in WWE are guilty of the "substance abuse" part.

So now, even I have to question your point.

Were Edge, Orton etc etc involved in the deaths of people in the wrestling business related to substance abuse? Granted Luger was cleared but the media dont really care and would report about his being there, the roids found in his home etc. Not what the E needs right now.

Neil your original post stated history of substance abuse or wrestling deaths, Orton has a history of steroids as does Edge, Rey Mysterio and Shane Helms, even HHH was on em at one stage. Snuka had a case of waking up beside his girlfriend dead but was aquitted of all charges.

I get what you're trying to say, but the examples or phrasing are very misleading.

VR!

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Neil1984, your exact quote was

"accused or otherwise,with substance abuse or wrestling deaths"

Damnit man, get out of my head!!
    VR!

VR!

Quit tryin to be a smartas and look at the bigger picture. The media are all over the E now. And as recent days have shown (with accusations of 3 day long fits of roid rage) they dont care too much for facts as much as they do a story.....picture the headlines from some numbnuts reporter with nothing better to do...... "WWE today announced the signed of pro wrestler Lex Luger, known for his part in the death of Miss Elizabeth who dies of a painkiller overdose. Whilst cleared of any wrongdoing, Luger was found to be in possession of steroids at the time and this is another example of the WWE's reluctance to combat the growing steroid problem it is faced with"

Orton has a history of steroids as does Edge, Rey Mysterio and Shane Helms, even HHH was on em at one stage.

Edge and Helms have used steroids, but they never abused them. They were prescribed them for legitimate medical needs after having surgery. Do you not think that's any different from guys using them just to get big?

ECW could do with an older guy on the show, as it's pretty much all young guys in the main event scene. As Double C said, Finlay would be a good addition, but that would be severely hurting SD. Someone from Raw should move over, Val Venis would be perfect I think, although he could do with a bit of a gimmick change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    Edge and Helms have used steroids, but they never abused them.

But like how do you know that with absolute certainty? Only they and maybe their partners know that.

There is a thin line between use and abuse.

To be honest, I hate every time I make a post about steroids. In this week of wrestling, I believe its an issue but it is not THE issue.

Fozzy wrote:
    Edge and Helms have used steroids, but they never abused them. They were prescribed them for legitimate medical needs after having surgery. Do you not think that's any different from guys using them just to get big?

I do and i don't as althought they can use it for pain, they can still get easily addicted and depend on them, and we all know that has happened before in the past too.

VR!

I get what you're trying to say, but the examples or phrasing are very misleading.

VR!
    I havent watched wrestling in 2 years or more but obviously with recent goings on.......

Anyway my point is, sure they ALL probably have been on roids at some stage or another....but they all say they never have taken em yea? But Luger had roids found at his house when the Elizabeth death was being investigated. That kind of publicity is not what they need, Thats my point, end of

Who actually believes WWE will sign Lex Luger? The last ten posts of arguments have been pointless.

But Luger had roids found at his house when the Elizabeth death was being investigated. That kind of publicity is not what they need, Thats my point, end of

Not end of, because you original post claimed that Luger was involved in her death, when the end result had proven that he wasn't. :)

VR!

Double C wrote:
    Who actually believes WWE will sign Lex Luger? The last ten posts of arguments have been pointless.

except mine of course - cause I am just irritating and apparantly psychicly connected to VR :)

• Advertisement

tbh it was neither you or VR I was referring to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Double C wrote:

Not me surely?!?!

Double C wrote:
    I wasnt arguing about Luger in particular. I was saying that they need someone with a squeaky clean history cos anyone with any kind of dirt in their past is likely to be scrutinised.

Not end of, because you original post claimed that Luger was involved in her death, when the end result had proven that he wasn't. :)

VR!
    By involved, he was there when it happened and there was an investigation in which he was the suspect. Point is, any kind of controversy like that is not needed for them.

I wasnt arguing about Luger in particular. I was saying that they need someone with a squeaky clean history cos anyone with any kind of dirt in their past is likely to be scrutinised.

Point taken, question is... does such a person exist?
    Wheres Barry Horrowitz when we need him? ;)

VR!

• Advertisement

There are loads!!

My Fuji
    Harvey Whippleman
    The Patriot Del Wilkes
    Sunny (but she is very fat at the moment)

what about Eugene!!!!

and plenty more then were obviously never on steroids

Ph3n0m wrote:
    There are loads!!

My Fuji
    Harvey Whippleman
    The Patriot Del Wilkes
    Sunny (but she is very fat at the moment)

what about Eugene!!!!

and plenty more then were obviously never on steroids

Didn't Dinsmore have his drug problems a couple of years back? ;)
    VR!

The Patriot was on one of those news programs a few years ago talking about how much steroids he had to take and how messed up the business is. Rehiring him would do no one any favours!

Although he said he took up steroids and drugs before he ever got into the wrestling business

damn the one time I didnt bother with any research - proving what some journalists are guilty of :) - so in a way, I'm a hero for proving how easy it is to list a name of people :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    damn the one time I didnt bother with any research - proving what some journalists are guilty of :) - so in a way, I'm a hero for proving how easy it is to list a name of people :)

Well given how both of us f*cked up on a friday, i'm blaming the fact that it was indeed, friday morning that f*cked us up! :D

Thats my story and i'm sticking to it!
    VR!

Not me surely?!?!

Definitely you!! :D

Seriously though, between this incident and Eddie two years ago, I think the dangers involved with steroids have been magnified tenfold so wrestlers will be less likely to start taking them, in theory at least. If WWE has any cop on at all the use of all steroids, prescribed or not, should be banned. Even if they are prescribed for medical use i.e. recovering from an injury, taking them is still putting your mental and physical health at risk because there is the chance of becoming dependant.

And Vince could do without another week like this one.

This may also be a blessing in disguise for my beloved cruiserweight division. They can hire a load of skinny Mexicans. What better way of showing the world WWE is against steroid use!

****ing hell lads, get your facts straight. God.

Double C fact - he is irritating in every sense of the term.
    As for it straight, would you like me to use an iron for it? ;)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Man, i don't read/post on here much anymore, but you guys really jump down each other's throats...

But getting back to the point of the thread, for me the way to go forward has to be with the younger guys -
    Kennedy and Punk are ready for title runs/permanent main event status i think but need a decent angle, Kennedy got injured i know which cost him the MITB, but now it looks like his new "wrestling in McMahon's memory" thing is gone as well, so they need something big for him.
    Punk is obvouisly going to stay in the ECW title hunt, but they need to create a good feud with Nitro for it to get some real creditability, because at the moment the ECW title is nothing more than the version of the IC belt and the whole show is basically a feeder brand for up and comers to get ready for the bug two e.g Lashley. And that whole feud he had with the New Breed was pointless - he joins them for what, a week? then makes Burke, who is also promising i think, look like an idiot.
    If MVP keeps going the way he is, then he's be big as well.

Jesus, does sarcasm have to be invoked by the :rolleyes: everytime?

• Advertisement
Advertisement