Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which cable is better for a 360 (component or VGA)

• 28-06-2007 5:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I had my 360 plugged into a monitor using the Microsoft VGA cable for the last few months. Now I've gotten a LCD TV and it has component ports and a VGA port. Which is the better of the two to use?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

VGA. Use it on my LCD and it is all kinds of purty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

vga....much better picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

vga....much better picture.

I haven't noticed much difference between VGA and component on games, but with component playing DVDs (through the 360) I got lots of lines and stuff, perfect on VGA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

used to be for me component gave me better colors , but with the dashboard update a while back they added better support for vga,
    VGA gives a much sharper image, component still gives better colors for me but no theres not enough of a difference in the 2 for me to go back to component

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It also depends on you and your TV, component is on my T.V whereas others may not handle it as well and some people just prefer the look of component or VGA over ther other. You're probably better of just comparing the 2 yourself on your own T.V. and then deciding.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

My TV decided for me. It only supports 1024 X 768 resolution. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

My TV decided for me. It only supports 1024 X 768 resolution. :(

thats all the resolution you're going to get from games and 720p video anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I've used both and there is not a whole lot of difference, it may depends on the TV/Monitor thats being used.

One very slight extra for component is that on certain TV's you can use the native res of 720p (1280x720) LCD TV's which is 1366x768. On some models 1366x768 is programmed in as 1080i so when you set that it enables 1366x768 now the difference is very slight maybe just a little sharper but again may make no difference at all on some TV's.

With VGA you can't use 1366x768 because it is not a computer supported resolution but you can get 1360x768.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Personally I thought component gave a better picture apart from all the horrible jagged lines surrounding objects. Was particularly bad with dvds. Have switched to vga now.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

sorry to go off topic but, ive used the vga able for a while now and everythin eemed grand until i got an update and ever since then i cant play original xbox games because it says it doesnt support it ?? can i go back to before i got this stupid update ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

8T8 wrote:
    I've used both and there is not a whole lot of difference, it may depends on the TV/Monitor thats being used.

One very slight extra for component is that on certain TV's you can use the native res of 720p (1280x720) LCD TV's which is 1366x768. On some models 1366x768 is programmed in as 1080i so when you set that it enables 1366x768 now the difference is very slight maybe just a little sharper but again may make no difference at all on some TV's.

With VGA you can't use 1366x768 because it is not a computer supported resolution but you can get 1360x768.

Wait, your saying 720p is 1366x768? Ive always wondered about that slightly skewed resolution & why lcds werent being produced with a 1280x720 native res.

Advertisement