Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A social night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Wicknight wrote:
    Lies!! Why do you toy with us?

We all know you are a bald fat guy sitting in a basement somewhere in a dirty t-shirt and soiled boxers ... just like the rest of us!

yijuqgdh.jpg

HEY...!

I'm not bald..ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Splendour wrote:
    Was almost gonna gatecrash your AA night till I saw this!!

I've actually seen a picture of Wicknight...I don't think the cartoon is quite accurate.

(Yes I'm stalking you.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

1st: what is a lump of the true cross

2nd: is the Lord Edward in Dublin

3rd: how do you know if someone is intelligent if it takes one to know one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

karen3212 wrote:

From Wiki

"Like many of the series' characters, Flanders is the frequent object of satire. An Oral Roberts University graduate who is never without a Bible and a large piece of the True Cross (which saved his life in one episode when he was shot), Ned believes that an essential element of a good life is 'a daily dose of vitamin church."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

karen3212 wrote:

2nd: is the Lord Edward in Dublin

3rd: how do you know if someone is intelligent if it takes one to know one?
    Yes, Lord Edward in Dublin unless of course someone has got a better suggestion?
    Was thinking of Friday the 13th to tie in with the superstitious nature of people on this website:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fortunately I'm in Clifton next weekend.

Though I'm sure you'll manage without a moderator if you decide to go for it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Thanks for the replies above, I won't make it to Dub. Hope ye have a great night though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Fortunately I'm in Clifton next weekend.

Though I'm sure you'll manage without a moderator if you decide to go for it. ;)
    Wish I could go but my Cloud is in for repair. Therefore, I will delegate Tim as moderator and chair for the evening with full powers to buy any unruly attendees as much drink as is required to calm them down. ;-)

*Also want to know is Bluewolf really a woman. Pictures please of the event.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Is this going ahead? Would like to go but not sure if I can make it this Friday. Will be in Cork I think.

aidan24326 wrote:
    Is this going ahead? Would like to go but not sure if I can make it this Friday. Will be in Cork I think.
    Yes. It should be excellant. Intelligent witty conversation and a beer or two.
    People should post up or PM me whether they can make it or not.
    This is so if we don't have enough we can re-arrange to another time.

Edit: Can also PM me if they are going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Yep, I can make it on Friday this week, but not Saturday. I'll be around for most of the next two weeks after that if Friday doesn't suit --a few days notice should be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If it's this Friday I don't think I can make it. Will be out of town. Not to worry.

And 'The Atheist', did you mean Clifden? Never heard of a Clifton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I must confess that I am a teeny bit of a lurker and a not very frequent poster on this site :o
    Some of the threads here are great... I don't post very often because the threads seem to get so long that I rarely have time to read through to the very end before posting something myself... and as I read on I usually find that one of you dudes has already made my point!
    An atheistic social gathering sounds like a great idea though, if ya'll would have me along!*

*I would also point out at this point that I'm a girl, but sure, you probably wouldn't believe me anyway :rolleyes:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I'd love to come along but I've not been active on A&A for that long and I'd hate to shatter your collective illusions.

I mean, how would you A&A regulars cope with the discovery that in contrast to the grumpy, argumentative, self-opinionated, intolerant, narrow-minded and long-winded persona I project on Boards, I am in fact a suave and debonair old-school charmer, with a vast stock of witty aphorisms at my disposal.

My cover would be blown for good.

So it's really for all your sakes that I'm reluctantly compelled to give it a miss ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I should be able to make it along anyway.

Is the Lord Edward really the most suitable place though? It's a bit on the pokey side. I know I used it as a meeting place for the film production forum once and the boardsies really stuck out like sore thumbs... which I suppose makes it easy to spot them.

How about that place across the road with the enormous beer hall?

rockbeer wrote:
    I'd love to come along but I've not been active on A&A for that long and I'd hate to shatter your collective illusions.

I mean, how would you A&A regulars cope with the discovery that in contrast to the grumpy, argumentative, self-opinionated, intolerant, narrow-minded and long-winded persona I project on Boards, I am in fact a suave and debonair old-school charmer, with a vast stock of witty aphorisms at my disposal.

My cover would be blown for good.

So it's really for all your sakes that I'm reluctantly compelled to give it a miss ;)
    Ha Ha!
    People can stay in character if they want, it certaintly won't bother me.
    Just PM or post here if you can make it, so we have an idea of numbers.
    The more the merrier or course. Our theist friends are welcome along.
    Should be a good laugh, especially if the three people who ticked
    "No, especially if you are going Tim" show their faces :)

I should be able to make it along anyway.

Is the Lord Edward really the most suitable place though? It's a bit on the pokey side. I know I used it as a meeting place for the film production forum once and the boardsies really stuck out like sore thumbs... which I suppose makes it easy to spot them.

How about that place across the road with the enormous beer hall?
    I suggested the Lord Edward as I thought we'd get seats upstairs. I just didn't want to nominate somewhere like Cafe Insane. But you could have a better suggestion there, let's get some more feedback and confirm venue based on that.

aidan24326 wrote:
    And 'The Atheist', did you mean Clifden? Never heard of a Clifton!
    All I know is it's in the wesht!! ;)

If it happens - have a good time, guys and girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

brrrrr... that Cliffden place gives me the creeps...

I've never been upstairs in the Lord Edward... so if you think that will work then it's certainly in a fine central location and right across the road from a magnificent cathedral to remind us that religion has given us some nice things.

But that beer hall place across the road is very nice too...

Here it is:
    http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=36

Nice big tables to fit everyone at as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Son Goku wrote:
    Delusion? I'm actually a 5' 9'' woman of Latino extraction with a keen interest in spandex and spandex related products. I'm seeking a soulful man willing to discuss the non-existence of an Abrahamic creator god.

We could all bond emotionally at this get together over a game of "strip belief" where we have to shed a piece of clothing for each irrational belief we hold.
    An ad I wrote quite a while ago on adverts.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=8433&cat=500

As I told you Tim, I can not make this but might make one in the future when I am around Dublin, and I attend a lot of the main Boards beers. I can show you why you are all wrong, with just an argument. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Would like to join you guys (though not exactly a 'mature' poster!).
    However, not around this Friday am afraid.
    Thanks though.Maybe next time...

Maybe, I won't know until a little closer. Regular non-internet-atheist-weirdo friends might be about, but I could drop in for a while anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

That sounds wicked cool to me, don't think I can make it this friday tho, if it's a success organise another, I'll definitely go

DerKaiser wrote:
    That sounds wicked cool to me, don't think I can make it this friday tho, if it's a success organise another, I'll definitely go
    Ok folks we are only at about 4 people so far which is n't enough.

Can people confirm they can or can't make it as I want to tell the people who said they could make it that it is being postponed should we not get the numbers?

Personally, I think I would love to see J C "The eight wonder of the world" come along and see him in action against some of his strongest rebutters from the creationist thread (something I am noway near to myself and utterly devoid of patience to even try).

So let us know how you are fixed and if you can't make it we can rearrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Can I come too?

Jeez its been a while

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ok folks we are only at about 4 people so far which is n't enough..

Well, according to the Events Forum, there's a big Boards bash at the beginning of August, if you can't get enough together, you can always have an Atheist Table at that.
    Bar earth quakes or death, I'm defo going to that one.

Beruthiel wrote:
    Well, according to the Events Forum, there's a big Boards bash at the beginning of August, if you can't get enough together, you can always have an Atheist Table at that.
    Bar earth quakes or death, I'm defo going to that one.

This sounds like a good idear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

folks, it looks like we don't have enough this time around. Between people who replied on the message board and PM'd it was only about 5 with a few maybes. I think we need 10 or so.
    I am proposing that we rearrange to either:
    1. The next Skeptics meetings (Irish Skeptics society)
    2. The aforementioned boards meetup
    3. Arrange a debate when J C can make it
    4. Just pick another time

Yours in logic

• Advertisement

A valiant effort at an A/A meetup Tim, nevertheless. :)

Shows it's got potential.

Advertisement